How long before passport expires can it be used ?

jolyroger

Ok so I come here with this question because I googled but came up with nothing really....Client of mine is vactioning to Italy and we were talking about passports and how she was told that they needed to be no less than 6 months before expiring while crusing or vacationing overseas..Is this true ? And if so is it all cruise lines? I mean we're leaving in 19 days and our two daughters passports expire in october of this year , is this ok??? I really need some info! Thanks if anyone can fill me in!

Which ports are you going to?

Click on the name of each country you are going to then look at "Entry/Exit Requirements"

ex:

For the BVI you will need a passport with at least 6 months on it. (Third Paragraph, last line, under Entry/Exit Requirements)

I was told that the 6 month rule only applys to flying....my kids expire in September....I was going to renew but didn't....bringing their birth certificates just in case.....

Ok good Whew!!!! Can you tell I'm a little stressed out?? When my client told me this literally I felt my heart pound like crazy!!!

I was told that the 6 month rule only applys to flying....my kids expire in September....I was going to renew but didn't....bringing their birth certificates just in case.....

This is what I have heard also (flying). CCL recommends your passport be good for 6 months beyond the end of your cruise but they have no requirement. I would not have a problem cruising a few weeks from now with passports that expire in October.

This is what I have heard also (flying). CCL recommends your passport be good for 6 months beyond the end of your cruise but they have no requirement. I would not have a problem cruising a few weeks from now with passports that expire in October.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll just make sure to bring their birth Certificates as well.....See you guys here on CC.....Your just as good as google!!! (if not better:))

Ok so I come here with this question because I googled but came up with nothing really....Client of mine is vactioning to Italy and we were talking about passports and how she was told that they needed to be no less than 6 months before expiring while crusing or vacationing overseas..Is this true ? And if so is it all cruise lines? I mean we're leaving in 19 days and our two daughters passports expire in october of this year , is this ok??? I really need some info! Thanks if anyone can fill me in!

Italy has rules for land travel and visiting there on land. We renew your passport at year nine due to prior problems in Italy (sometimes they insist on 9 months, not 6) You also must report to local authorities when staying in Italy for 10 days or more. (doesn't not mean cruising, but strict land vacations in Italy)You must then buy into their health system on a daily rate basis while you are there or prove you have medical insurance they will accept. There are also requirements if you stay more than 90 days in any calendar year.

Other countries it is 6 months from the day you RETURN from you cruise, not arriving to go on your cruise. We have seen people turned away at customs when landing at an Italian airport, even for a cruise because of the 6 month rule.

You should be fine, it has to do with when you are returning from your cruise. It is close but you should make it.

If you are not cruising in Europe and cruising in the Caribbean, it is not an issue, there are no time requirement if it is Caribbean and not leaving from a European country

You can get emergency renewals at Passport centers in the US. There is a fee but it assures you do not have a problem

For a cruise they only need to be valid on the day you return to the US, the 6 months rule does not apply to any Caribbean cruise (makes sense since you don't need a passport to cruise anyway).

I guess the only issue would be if you needed to fly home from one of the islands.

For that cruise the only place you would need a passport to fly from is Grand Turk and you couldn't fly from there anyway you would have to go to Provo to fly back to the US.

Which ports are you going to?

Click on the name of each country you are going to then look at "Entry/Exit Requirements"

ex:

For the BVI you will need a passport with at least 6 months on it. (Third Paragraph, last line, under Entry/Exit Requirements)

I believe this requirement is for land vacations only.

Bill

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

For that cruise the only place you would need a passport to fly from is Grand Turk and you couldn't fly from there anyway you would have to go to Provo to fly back to the US.

But the passports would still be valid as they sail in a couple of weeks and they don't expire until October so they could get back in an emergency. I would think that you could get back to your home country. I am under the impression the extended validity is necessary in case you have issues (health, travel, whatever) in the country you are visiting so that you have an extended window to return to your home country. I'm with npb1999, take the birth certificates just in case.

My Dh's passport expires June2,2012. We sailed on the Carnival magic in February and no problems. Called the passport office in Houston and they said that as long as your passport is valid the day you leave the ship or the country you are visiting you are good. We have since sent in for his renewal.

Yeah I'm thinking I'll just make sure to bring their birth Certificates as well.....See you guys here on CC.....Your just as good as google!!! (if not better:))

Somehow i can't seem to grasp the big picture here.

A passport trumps a passport, and if they were somehow to enforce the 6 month rule for the passport (they won't on a caribbean cruise) what good would a birth certificate do?

Like I said I'm probably missing something here so that's why I'm asking.

Bill

Somehow i can't seem to grasp the big picture here.

A passport trumps a passport, and if they were somehow to enforce the 6 month rule for the passport (they won't on a caribbean cruise) what good would a birth certificate do?

Like I said I'm probably missing something here so that's why I'm asking.

Bill

Because the worst thing that can happen is to be turned away at the dock because you don't have documentation and sometimes the documentation can be at the judgement of the person checking you in.

I am Canadian so need passport to travel no matter what - except inside Canada.

That being said: if the cruise is a closed loop - no passport required. Original birth certificate and government issued photo ID is required.

For out of country travel (Europe/Asia etc) passport is required. And each country has different requirements - some of them state it must be valid for 6 months or more AFTER completion of trip. Check with passport office to verify requirements.

Because the worst thing that can happen is to be turned away at the dock because you don't have documentation and sometimes the documentation can be at the judgement of the person checking you in.

OK that's one way of looking at it but my thinking is if a valid passport with less than 6 months time left on it is being denied how is a birth certificate going to work?

Bill

Because on a cruise, you can take your passport OR a certified birth certificate AND photo ID.

If they won't accept your passport, you have door #2 as a backup.

Thank you SunniLicious for your input.

The original question was do i need 6 months left on my passport to visit some of the islands .

The answer of course is no for cruising just land vacations.

Since the OP was using a passport with less than 6 months validity on it some answers were to take your birth certificate just in case.

Since a passport is better than a passport I was just wondering how they would accept your birth certificate if they aren't going to accept your passport as the birth certificate doesn't prove anything other than you were born in the U.S.

My thinking is if they accept the birth certificate what is the point of having the passport in the first place.

Bill

Archived