Evening wear Equinox

slhw

The buffet is casual and you can wear shorts and a t-shirt there if you'd like. They have nice food at the buffet but not a huge selection at night.

The specialty restaurants are all "smart casual and above" every night. On formal nights there will be people in the specialty restaurants dressed both formally and smart casual so one wouldn't feel out of place dressed either way.

There is a dress code on the ship for the MDR. As is frequently reported here there are times when it is enforced, at least to the extend of a jacket for men and appropriate slacks and shirts, and times when it is not enforced and people dressed casually are allowed in. Unfortunately you won't know if this is the case in advance although you can ask your waiter or one of the managers on board if he will be allowed in without a jacket. The dress code in the MDR does not force anyone to dress that way but most dining there do out of respect for the policy and their fellow cruisers.

Thank you...so you are saying jackets for men every evening? This I was not aware of. Yikes! I guess we will have to bring one for him then. We will not disregard the dress code.

We enjoy MDR dining so he will grin and bear it...and take it off at the table. So he is comfortable and the dress code is enforced and everyone is happy.:)

No, they are not required every day, just on formal nights. What Larry is saying is that almost everyone abides by the dress code but sometimes people get in on those nights without a jacket.

Thank you...so you are saying jackets for men every evening? This I was not aware of. Yikes! I guess we will have to bring one for him then. We will not disregard the dress code.

We enjoy MDR dining so he will grin and bear it...and take it off at the table. So he is comfortable and the dress code is enforced and everyone is happy.:)

No... You have misunderstood. That is not what either myself or LSIMON said.

I said...

As far as Dining Venues...

On Formal Night ONLY the MDR has the Formal Dress Code.

All other venues... Including The Blu DR (for Aqua Class Pax) and all Specialty Restaurants are Smart Casual (as they are every evening).

Another words... INCLUDING the MDR on non-formal nights... The dress code there is also Smart Casual.

Smart Casual = Jacket not required. No Shorts, Tshirts, Ball Caps or Flip Flops. Jeans are ok as long as they are not ripped, torn or frayed. Most men choose to wear some sort of shirt with a collar (could be a Polo or Golf Shirt) matched up with a pair of pants (Dockers, Chinos and Dark Wash Denim Jeans are the most popular).

Cheers!

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

Jeans are ok as long as they are not ripped, torn or frayed. Most men choose to wear some sort of shirt with a collar (could be a Polo or Golf Shirt) matched up with a pair of pants (Dockers, Chinos and Dark Wash Denim Jeans are the most popular).

Cheers!

Perfect! That was what I understood when I read the dress code...but I got confused sometimes too many opinions can cause something simple to get muddled.

THIS is exactly how he usually dresses for dinner...so I will put the issue to rest. 2 Formal nights in alternate dining venues anywhere but MDR the rest dress as we typically do.

Thank you

The buffet is casual and you can wear shorts and a t-shirt there if you'd like. They have nice food at the buffet but not a huge selection at night.

The specialty restaurants are all "smart casual and above" every night. On formal nights there will be people in the specialty restaurants dressed both formally and smart casual so one wouldn't feel out of place dressed either way.

There is a dress code on the ship for the MDR. As is frequently reported here there are times when it is enforced, at least to the extend of a jacket for men and appropriate slacks and shirts, and times when it is not enforced and people dressed casually are allowed in. Unfortunately you won't know if this is the case in advance although you can ask your waiter or one of the managers on board if he will be allowed in without a jacket. The dress code in the MDR does not force anyone to dress that way but most dining there do out of respect for the policy and their fellow cruisers.

Sorry I didn't make it clear I was just talking about formal nights when I mentioned that jackets are usually needed in the MDR (main dining room). Technically a sport jacket or blazer does not meet the dress code for formal night but in practice they are acceptable. On non-formal nights (smart casual nights) there will be a few men wearing jackets but the majority will not.

The only place you see a lot of men wearing jackets on smart casual nights is in the nicer specialty restaurants such as Muranos and Tuscan grill. But there will also be a good number of men not wearing jackets in these venues as well.

Just for clarity here is the dress code from Celebrity's website:

Evenings aboard Celebrity include two types of dress: "Smart Casual and Above" and "Formal."

"Smart Casual and Above"

Ladies: Skirt or pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pants (no holes, rips or tears) with a sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

"Formal" attire:

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown, or a dressy pantsuit.

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or [formal] dinner jacket with slacks.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the "Smart Casual and Above" dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the appropriate attire each evening. A casual dress code applies at all times onboard Celebrity Xpedition®.

A couple points of clarification on the above:

When they say shirts must have sleeves they are referring to any length sleeve vs. sleeveless shirts. So short sleeved shirts are fine on smart casual nights.

The formal dress code is only listed on board for the main dining room, Blu and Specialty restaurants are Smart Casual and Above - but the "above" allows for people to dress there formally if they choose to and many do.

I inserted the word [formal] before dinner jacket in the description of the formal attire. This is because they are referring to a formal dinner jacket there such as a white formal jacket. The words "dinner jacket" do not refer to a sport jacket or blazer. As I've said above you'll find some men do wear these anyways on formal nights and they'll have no issue with the staff in doing so.

Edited by Lsimon

MANY of the men only wear a tie and dress shirt with nice slacks in the MDR on formal nights, especially in the hotter climates. Or no tie with a blazer.

I understand that many people around this board disagree with this information, but it's the truth.

MANY of the men only wear a tie and dress shirt with nice slacks in the MDR on formal nights, especially in the hotter climates. Or no tie with a blazer.

I understand that many people around this board disagree with this information, but it's the truth.

Not in my experience or the experience of MANY others. I've seen very few dressed without a jacket. How can you possibly make this kind of statement after one Celebrity cruise? It makes no difference to me what someone ultimately decides to wear but it does matter that they get correct information before they go so they can make an informed decision.

Edited by Ma Bell

Thank you everyone!

As with all discussions on all boards there is some "discussion" surround what is "acceptable" or "gotten away with"

I am a firm believer also in receiving and giving accurate information based on the cruise lines guidelines. What people do from there is up to them.

We always adhere to the posted code. IT is a simple thing to do, and shows respect to the ship and crew as well as other passengers, and ourselves.

I have read that Europe cruises tend to be more formal, and the Caribbean cruises a little less. There-in can lie the variation of experiences for those with limited cruise and cruise line experience.

Ours will be a Caribbean/South American, and I do have a very clear picture of what I will need to pack.

We loved the tip about ordering from the MDR menu using room service on formal nights, and will do that at least once during the 2 nights on our cruise.

Having a quiet dinner in our cabin with no distractions or interruptions

and focusing just on each other...is very appealing. As much as we enjoy meeting new people and socializing. Sometimes you just need couple time :-)

Thank you everyone!

As with all discussions on all boards there is some "discussion" surround what is "acceptable" or "gotten away with"

I am a firm believer also in receiving and giving accurate information based on the cruise lines guidelines. What people do from there is up to them.

We always adhere to the posted code. IT is a simple thing to do, and shows respect to the ship and crew as well as other passengers, and ourselves.

I have read that Europe cruises tend to be more formal, and the Caribbean cruises a little less. There-in can lie the variation of experiences for those with limited cruise and cruise line experience.

Ours will be a Caribbean/South American, and I do have a very clear picture of what I will need to pack.

We loved the tip about ordering from the MDR menu using room service on formal nights, and will do that at least once during the 2 nights on our cruise.

Having a quiet dinner in our cabin with no distractions or interruptions

and focusing just on each other...is very appealing. As much as we enjoy meeting new people and socializing. Sometimes you just need couple time :-)

I agree and you have the right attitude. Celebrity provides so many alternatives for dining on formal evenings it just seems surprising that people can't make another choice when they don't care to dress up. Sometimes it's also really nice to just go to the buffet and sit out on the back deck.

I'm not sure which cruise you are saying this was on but the last cruise I took was 14 nights in the caribbean on Eclipse. I saw 1 man without a jacket (not sure where he was dining), perhaps 15% had on what I call a sports coat, 60% had a suit and roughly 25% wore their tux/dinner jacket. I'd say 10% or less of the ladies wore dressy pants, 10% wore a nice church type dress, 50% wore a blingy cocktail type dress and 30% wore long gowns.

Bottom line we are going to see other passengers in every form of attire from A to Z, no matter what the requested dress for the evening is, and our individual desires will have no bearing, nor influence on anyone else.

Edited by wallie5446

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies. Am still a bit confused but don't think I will take my poshest frock. I must admit I love getting dressed up but each to their own I suppose. Our cruise is the Mediterranean itinerary which has been remarked on as being a little more formal than the Caribbean. I have got a couple of maxi dresses, which I tend to wear with little cardigans, would these be terribly out of place on smart casual nights?

Thanks

Sandie

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies. Am still a bit confused but don't think I will take my poshest frock. I must admit I love getting dressed up but each to their own I suppose. Our cruise is the Mediterranean itinerary which has been remarked on as being a little more formal than the Caribbean. I have got a couple of maxi dresses, which I tend to wear with little cardigans, would these be terribly out of place on smart casual nights?

Thanks

Sandie

Hi Sandie. If you like your posh frock I would take it, that's what I did a few weeks ago on Eclipse and I wasn't out of place. I think it is more what you feel comfortable in. Your maxi dresses sound perfect for the smart/casual nights. I have stopped thinking about what others wear and take what I like or feel happy in and that was a glitzy long evening dress for a formal night even though last year not so many were in long. This time a lot were.

Thanks

Sandie

Not at all, they will be just fine.

My wife and I will be wearing matching farmer overalls and combat boots. Is that OK? You did say we could wear wht we want to wear!

Fine with me as so many pay no heed to any of the dress guides and wear what they want. (Some just because they want to annoy on purpose - not you of course - as long as you polish those boots :) )

Which I was trying to say in my post. Pointless to have any sort of dress code/guidance/help/information, on the Celebrity website if no one looks at it or takes any notice of it.

Enforce the dress code, or scrap it altogether, which will stop all the pointless questions and arguments on here.

Or how about a smaller separate dining room for those who wish to dress up? The rest can go free style then.

Edited by wales4ever

Just got off t he early Sept 13 night , and there was surprisingly high % of men in tux. I am not one of them and elected to eat in Tuscan .

But I was surprised to see so manypeople dressed

If you read these dress code threads with all the debate it sometimes sounds like few people dress up for formal night. In our cruise experience this is far from reality as the vast majority of those on board do follow the formal night dress code on Celebrity. Even in the venues that do not require formal attire on formal nights, like the specialty restaurants and Blu, there is always a good percentage dressed formally along with others dressed in nice looking smart casual attire.

There is a link in my signature at the bottom of this post to my cruise photo site which includes a gallery of photos from most of our cruises. Nearly all of these include photos of us and our cruise friends on formal night and many of these show a lot of other passengers in the background. You can get a good idea of how most dress on formal night from some of these.

Hi, thanks everyone for your replies. Am still a bit confused but don't think I will take my poshest frock....

While I've heard the term "posh frock" before I'm really not that familiar with it so I Googled the term and looked at the images that came up. Any of the dresses that showed in the images would fit right in and be very appropriate on formal nights.

Edited by Lsimon

If you read these dress code threads with all the debate it sometimes sounds like few people dress up for formal night. In our cruise experience this is far from reality as the vast majority of those on board do follow the formal night dress code on Celebrity. Even in the venues that do not require formal attire on formal nights, like the specialty restaurants and Blu, there is always a good percentage dressed formally along with others dressed in nice looking smart casual attire.

I agree with you and I often wonder on CC when we get some people who are so adamant in claiming that you shouldn't worry about following the dress code or saying "I"ll do what I want it's my vacation" - if they really really sail on Celebrity or if they are trying to influence a change in the dress code policy by encouraging others to disregard it. I find Celebrity to still be very dressy on formal nights and if the day comes that they do away with formal - then I might have to look else where because I enjoy it. There is so little left in travel that is romantic - I hope we can hang on to it.

I think you should take your long evening gowns and wear them with confidence. I take mine, and cant wait to wear them on formal nights.There are so few oppurtunities to get really dressed up these days, so I make the most of it.

Its lovely to see how many people really do make the effort, I have never seen anyone look too casual on formal night, but then I really dont look too hard.

My husband works in the City of London during the week.

He has to wear a suit and tie every working day, but he still loves to put on his Tuxedo and bow tie on formal nights.

Fine with me as so many pay no heed to any of the dress guides and wear what they want. (Some just because they want to annoy on purpose - not you of course - as long as you polish those boots :) )

Which I was trying to say in my post. Pointless to have any sort of dress code/guidance/help/information, on the Celebrity website if no one looks at it or takes any notice of it.

Enforce the dress code, or scrap it altogether, which will stop all the pointless questions and arguments on here.

Or how about a smaller separate dining room for those who wish to dress up? The rest can go free style then.

Actually most people do dress up on formal nights. I would say about half of men in tuxes, most of the rest in nice suits. Still see some "special people" with no jacket or tie. I would definitely complain to the maitre' D, Restaurant Manager, Hotel Director, etc if I saw someone in shorts. That is an insult to the rest of us. I love the women who defend their husbands saying he hates to wear a suit or doesn't own a suit. Do they intend to bury him in a polo shirt and khakis?

When you book your cruise you have the option for early/late dining.

You have the option for single or double beds in your cabin.

Why not a tick box option for dressing up a little or staying casual? It would certainly end the fuss!

If the majority tick for dressing up then have the main dining room just for them. Then a smaller waiter led dining room for the rest. Vice versa if the majority go for casual.

Shouldn't be hard for the on-board staff to arrange this as they will know the answer before the sail date.

When you book your cruise you have the option for early/late dining.

You have the option for single or double beds in your cabin.

Why not a tick box option for dressing up a little or staying casual? It would certainly end the fuss!

If the majority tick for dressing up then have the main dining room just for them. Then a smaller waiter led dining room for the rest. Vice versa if the majority go for casual.

Shouldn't be hard for the on-board staff to arrange this as they will know the answer before the sail date.

There are some cruise lines that do something very similar to this and for some cruisers these others cruise lines are a better option than Celebrity if avoiding formal attire is a major issue for them.

Celebrity is one of those cruise lines that does not offer this in their main dining room and that does have a formal night dress code that is in effect there which is observed by the vast majority of diners. Celebrity does offer quite a few options for those who do not want to follow the formal night dress code including the specialty restaurants, buffet and rooms service. Room service even includes the MDR menu during dinner hours on Celebrity.

While I can understand the desire of some travelers to avoid formal attire I can not understand why they would choose a line that has the formal dress code in the MDR and then be upset or disappointed about it.

Edited by Lsimon