airfare to Australia from East Coast of USA

4774Papa

I've been tracking airfares from the West coast to Sydney for several months and they don't seem to be going down. I expect with the increase in fuel costs there will not be a lot of bargains to be found. But it does depend on when you plan to travel as several airlines offer special for the fall/winter months in OZ. We've booked a 2 city ticket for Dec.'12 and for the exact flights we have there has been an increase of $300 per ticket since we purchased ours.

You're probably using one, but there are several good online pricing engines for checking the best fare on several airlines at once. Good Luck!!

~~Judy

I would also check with your TA if you are using one and see if they have a consolidator that can beat any of the online pricing. We recently booked our tickets on Qantas from LAX to SYD and then AKL to LAX (of course need to go back to Sydney) and we were able to save $300 per person on our seats vs the best online price we could find. Our flight is in Feb & March 2013

2goldens, what is a consolidator? We are also trying to book flights from LAX to Sydney, so any deals would be helpful! Thanks.

DanaJW - Do you book all your cruises and airlines fares online or have you worked with a TA. Many times we book online. However, when it is a big trip like this - I try to find the best price online and take it my TA. They can always match or get better pricing. On some long flights - the TA have some consolidators they work with. These consolidators are companies that guarantee the airlines so many tickets for flights so they get better pricing. That is how we were able to receive such a discount on our flight. We booked early because they run out of seats. We were still able to pick whatever seat we wanted - there were no restrictions. Hope this helps. Basically, talk with your TA and see if they have a consolidator for flying to Australia or New Zealand and what airline this consolidator works for. It doesn't hurt to ask. Everyone is always trying to get the best price they can

DanaJW: If you are on a cruise, you may be able to obtain a better airfare by consulting www.choiceair.com. You insert your specific cruise, then add your departure and return dates. If you are flying into one city and out of another, I believe that Choice Air may be able to help. Sometimes they can save you $$, sometimes not; but it's worth a try.

Larry & Ethel

Boynton Beach, FL

Thank you for the information, 2goldens. I had never heard the term consolidators before.

Did you ever check with your TA and see if they work with any consolidators to Australia? Just curious.

I am planning to cruise mid March 13 and they give prices for that so you should be able to see the prices for Feb 13.???

I tried the Internet link, perhaps I should try calling them?

I did the internet link also and had no problems. I also called my friend who is a TA to see what price she could give me, no reply yet. I will see if I look for you.

I just tried to look for you and their website is not working right now, I will try to check later. Go to Celebrity, click before you go then click on the transportation key which will bring up choice air then it will redirect you to that website and you can put in your booking # or click on the other key to just browse what may be available. That is what I did, I have not put in a a booking # yet. Hope that makes sense! I am going 1 or 2 days early before the cruise.

I just tried to look for you and their website is not working right now, I will try to check later. Go to Celebrity, click before you go then click on the transportation key which will bring up choice air then it will redirect you to that website and you can put in your booking # or click on the other key to just browse what may be available. That is what I did, I have not put in a a booking # yet. Hope that makes sense! I am going 1 or 2 days early before the cruise.

Thanks, we plan to go three days early (arrive in Perth on the 12th) and stay four days after the cruise in Sydney, departing on March 8.

Nope - just Illinois and now live in Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri for the past 35 years - this is a beautiful resort area

2goldens, you didn't used to live in Utah did you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

We did this trip two years ago and it was only $1100 per person from Fla. flying AA from PBI-LAX then LAX-SYD on Qantas. Got a real deal from PBI-LAX for $220 per person then $860 p/p from LAX to SYD.

Good luck. Would like to go back but can't aford the airfare.

I've been tracking airfares from the West coast to Sydney for several months and they don't seem to be going down. I expect with the increase in fuel costs there will not be a lot of bargains to be found. But it does depend on when you plan to travel as several airlines offer special for the fall/winter months in OZ. We've booked a 2 city ticket for Dec.'12 and for the exact flights we have there has been an increase of $300 per ticket since we purchased ours.

You're probably using one, but there are several good online pricing engines for checking the best fare on several airlines at once. Good Luck!!

~~Judy

Australia is introducing a Carbon tax on 1 July 2012 so this may have a bearing on fuel costs.

Archived