Shadow Alaska Cruise Question

playfulparent

Hi everyone. We are planning to purchase cabins on the 7 night Shadow cruise from Vancouver to Seward next summer. Our primary concern is that we will be missing seeing both Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. For anyone who has been on this cruise before, does the ship sail through Tracy Arm during the Inside Passage cruising day of the trip? Did any of you manage to put together a shore excursion to successfully get to see either of those areas from one of the ports? Although the boat is in Juneau until late, we don't dock until 9 or so in the morning which is after those small boat tours seem to begin.

Thanks for any help! Would also welcome any other suggestions for what we should make sure to see or do while on the cruise.

Hi future Alaska cruiser! I saw your post but was waiting for someone who may have more insight to answer. I took this cruise last year in reverse order. I do not recall anyone saying we were sailing through Tracy Arm and I looked at my cruise documents from that week and there is no mention of it. I think we would have passed by the opening during the night or early morning anyway. My understanding is that a limited number of ships are allowed in and there is a steep fee so maybe it just isn't practical for this length of a voyage. I do know there are numerous helicopter and seaplane tours that leave from Juneau and the other ports so you may be able to find one to take you in. One thing that we did in Juneau was a canoe trip on Mendenhall Lake. We paddled out near the glacier and over to the waterfall on the opposite shore. It was very serene and a truly exclusive way to see the glacier as we were the only canoe allowed on the lake at the time. Some of our fellow cruisers did the floatplane ride into the Misty Fjords from Ketchikan and said it was beautiful. I'm happy to comment on other ports if you have more specific questions. Enjoy the trip and prepare for any type of weather. It was much colder than we expected in early June and quite rainy for parts of the week.