Breastfeeding baby on cruise

duchessuta

No one should have to go back to their room to breastfeed or feel they need to hide but no one should be exposed to a woman flashing her breasts either.

Just to clarify my original statement, my suggestion about going to the cabin had absolutely nothing to do with what anyone else would think if they saw a nursing mother. It had everything to do with putting the child first and taking them away from a situation that would be too distracting and chaotic. I have always felt the bond between a mother and their child was the most important thing when a mother chooses to breastfeed. It shouldn't be about the convenience of being able to nurse wherever and whenever. Babies are only that tiny and need to nurse for a pretty short time. Enjoy that quiet time with your baby while you can.

Is this really an issue? I have never had a problem with any woman breastfeeding anywhere and when I see this question I have to wonder if they are trying to push the issue for a confrontation. Done properly, I cannot imagine most would even notice you breastfeeding.

You would be surprised. There are so many times when women get told they are being disgusting, people complain when a woman is breastfeeding, or they are asked to cover up. It's not to push a confrontation... I asked to know of experiences from other women and to see if Carnival would be supportive if I fed my LO out in the open or if they would side with anyone that complained.

I asked to know of experiences from other women and to see if Carnival would be supportive if I fed my LO out in the open or if they would side with anyone that complained.

Carnival would have to. They'd be in a whole lot of trouble if they didn't and it would be all over Social Media before you were done nursing your child.

Agree....The "Helicopter" parent syndrome....the little snowflake cannot have any disappointment, every whim catered to and you better give my kid a participation medal....we aren't allowed to keep score either because if they lose to bad, they will get discouraged, and we cant have that now :rolleyes:

Most of the time he does follow a schedule, but sometimes he gets hungry early, or sleeps longer than planned and will go longer between feelings. And when you travel, it can take a baby off schedule. I've learned to go with the flow as a mom. And if he needs to eat and there's something scheduled at that time I'd like to do, I would like to be able to participate. As a previous poster mentioned, a 15 minute feed can turn into something much longer (and louder if he has to wait) if I have to go somewhere different.

So, yes, I cater to the "whims" of my infant. I don't let my baby get to the screaming point when he gets hungry, even if I think he should wait another 30 minutes or an hour to eat.

He's 5 months old (will be 6 on the cruise), so I don't really think he'll need a participation trophy... Though I wouldn't turn down a 24 karat gold plastic ship on a stick. :D :D :D

Most of the time he does follow a schedule, but sometimes he gets hungry early, or sleeps longer than planned and will go longer between feelings. And when you travel, it can take a baby off schedule. I've learned to go with the flow as a mom. And if he needs to eat and there's something scheduled at that time I'd like to do, I would like to be able to participate. As a previous poster mentioned, a 15 minute feed can turn into something much longer (and louder if he has to wait) if I have to go somewhere different.

So, yes, I cater to the "whims" of my infant. I don't let my baby get to the screaming point when he gets hungry, even if I think he should wait another 30 minutes or an hour to eat.

He's 5 months old (will be 6 on the cruise), so I don't really think he'll need a participation trophy... Though I wouldn't turn down a 24 karat gold plastic ship on a stick. :D :D :D

Sounds like your doing what any other mother would do. I don't really see this as a big issue, but then I never did. And I wouldn't put a crew member in a place to have to take sides regarding something so normal. You can't change how some people may feel about it no more than they can change your natural right and ability to feed your child. Cover up or go to your cabin or an empty space. No not to "hide" but to feed your baby in a quiet calm environment. This stuff I'm sure you already know. Enjoy your cruise.

I never post on here anymore (I just lurk), but as a nursing mom myself, I want to lend you my support. I've never cruised while my kids were still nursing, but I have breastfed them in public many, many times including at restaurants, malls, sporting events, and the pool. I never use a cover, it's just easier for me without it.

I've never understood why a nursing mom should need to cover up or "be modest," but it's okay for a clothing store to display larger than life size images of women in lingerie. Certainly, the lingerie model is way more exposed than most nursing moms. So I say, go ahead and feed your baby wherever, whenever, and however you see fit. And should anyone confront you with a negative comment, just be prepared with a witty comeback (I like pp's suggesting of offering them a cover for their eyes!).

I never post on here anymore (I just lurk), but as a nursing mom myself, I want to lend you my support. I've never cruised while my kids were still nursing, but I have breastfed them in public many, many times including at restaurants, malls, sporting events, and the pool. I never use a cover, it's just easier for me without it.

I've never understood why a nursing mom should need to cover up or "be modest," but it's okay for a clothing store to display larger than life size images of women in lingerie. Certainly, the lingerie model is way more exposed than most nursing moms. So I say, go ahead and feed your baby wherever, whenever, and however you see fit. And should anyone confront you with a negative comment, just be prepared with a witty comeback (I like pp's suggesting of offering them a cover for their eyes!).

And saying you don't understand the need to be modest is imo why there is such a battle about this topic.

No you shouldn't have to put a blanket over your child's head unless that makes you feel more comfortable. However there is nothing wrong with saying have a bit of modesty by not exposing everything you've got.

A bit of understanding on both sides would do a world of good. I think more of those people that say do it in private would be a bit more open minded about it if it weren't for those women that basically take off their shirt off just to prove a point.

Edited by BeachChik

Wow......another hot topic.

I agree that a woman has a right to breastfeed.

On the last cruise, we had a woman with a young baby, My guess is she was breastfeeding , I would see her in different areas of the ship, always discreet, always in the shade, always sitting on her blanket.

Did it bother me........ not at all, greeted her same as all other passengers. Ian would walk by .

As in many things, there what is "legal" and what is done with respect.

Respect that other people may have an issue, be discreet, and people will respect your choice.

ps - I agree with "new grandma" made some valid points.

Wow......another hot topic.

I agree that a woman has a right to breastfeed.

On the last cruise, we had a woman with a young baby, My guess is she was breastfeeding , I would see her in different areas of the ship, always discreet, always in the shade, always sitting on her blanket.

Did it bother me........ not at all, greeted her same as all other passengers. Ian would walk by .

As in many things, there what is "legal" and what is done with respect.

Respect that other people may have an issue, be discreet, and people will respect your choice.

ps - I agree with "new grandma" made some valid points.

This. There is nothing wrong with a bit of modesty.

Edited by cruizinisthebest

And saying you don't understand the need to be modest is imo why there is such a battle about this topic.

No you shouldn't have to put a blanket over your child's head unless that makes you feel more comfortable. However there is nothing wrong with saying have a bit of modesty by not exposing everything you've got.

A bit of understanding on both sides would do a world of good. I think more of those people that say do it in private would be a bit more open minded about it if it weren't for those women that basically take off their shirt off just to prove a point.

You misunderstand. What I said was that I don't understand the discrepancy between why a nursing mom needs to be modest but a lingerie model does not. A pair of breasts almost completely exposed in an 8' poster in a store window seems to be okay, but a mom feeding her child on a bench right next to said poster could be told to cover up. Why is a sexualized breast okay but a breast being used to nourish an infant is not? It's just baffling to me.

We can debate all day and night whether or not a nursing mom should be modest (and btw, you can nurse modestly without a cover or blanket). That is a matter of opinion, of which everyone is entitled to their own. My point was not to say one should or should not be modest, just to lend support to the OP in whatever choice she makes.

I have no problem with being respectful of how others feel, to a point. For some, they are only content if you are nursing they way THEY want you to, completely covered or in a private room. Those aren't always conceivable. And to me respect isn't just doing something the way someone else wants. I am discreet and I use common sense. I absolutely agree no one needs to be topless to breastfeed. But I don't think anyone should have a problem seeing a little cleavage when a mother is nursing when you see more than enough cleavage all over the ship.

Totally the dinner companions problem. If they're not "body comfortable" that's their issue.

The companions should ignore it and continue on with their conversations.

Thats the problem. As a mother, I breastfed. However, I was considerate of others. People should be considerate of a mother that breastfeed but the mom should also be considerate of others as well.

I, too, breastfed my kids....it can be done in such a way that no one knows you're feeding! That said, your cabin is always available, if you want privacy and quiet! Also, there are lots of unused areas inside the ship where you could sit for 20 mins. or so!

This is an interesting topic to me. I've only personally seen reports of complaints, when the mother wanted to breastfeed with her bare breasts showing. I read that the mother thought that this was appropriate, and didn't want to use a cover to cover her breasts. Is this what we are talking about here?

Or is this, simply a situation where you are asking if it would be ok to discreetly breastfeed, where the breast is covered?

I nursed at the pool, the bars, the dining areas, the ports. Really there's not a place i didn't nurse my 13 month old. I just don't care what others think of me and no one said anything to me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see nothing wrong with teaching children to adapt to adult schedules. In the grand scheme of things, that's how it's always been done. The whole family-revolving-around-the-child concept is relatively new.

There's a big difference between a school age child being told to wait for a snack or meal and a nursing baby. To deny a baby nourishment for several hours just to accommodate the rest of the family's schedule is downright abuse. It's not about being a helicopter parent, it is being a parent.

There's a big difference between a school age child being told to wait for a snack or meal and a nursing baby. To deny a baby nourishment for several hours just to accommodate the rest of the family's schedule is downright abuse. It's not about being a helicopter parent, it is being a parent.

I agree. But keeping an adult schedule means eating in public when hungry. Just like an adult would. The idea that a mother should be stuck at home all day because the baby might get hungry is preposterous.

I see nothing wrong with teaching children to adapt to adult schedules. In the grand scheme of things, that's how it's always been done. The whole family-revolving-around-the-child concept is relatively new.

I do agree with you - and I think that with earlier generations the baby's schedule had everything to do with the parents assistance :)

I'm sad to see that late in the thread there was anger on the part of a poster or 2 over differing opinions. I felt like it was a good, open discussion with both sides (and the middle) expressing their thinking on the subject in ways that didn't put the opposite folks down.

What I can't believe is there is even a thread about this and we don't accept breastfeeding as a natural part of life! and for those who think a baby should eat on schedule, do you eat all your meals scheduled all the time?

Pat

I have breastfed my youngest while on Carnival cruises, at 6 months and again when he was a year old. I found the employees to be very helpful and accommodating. Never got an odd look, or any indication that I should cover him up during feedings. In fact, there was always someone available to cut up dinner for my other children, (and a few times, my dinner!) or grab drinks for us.

I felt as comfortable nursing in various spots on the ship as I did at home.

Jennifer

Feeding your child naturally is not a problem at all. Do what you need to. If you feel put off by there being so many strangers around they make covers; I am sure I am telling you nothing you don't know already.

I have breastfed my youngest while on Carnival cruises, at 6 months and again when he was a year old. I found the employees to be very helpful and accommodating. Never got an odd look, or any indication that I should cover him up during feedings. In fact, there was always someone available to cut up dinner for my other children, (and a few times, my dinner!) or grab drinks for us.

I felt as comfortable nursing in various spots on the ship as I did at home.

Jennifer

Thank you. Very good to know.