Paris on Your Own?

nancy anne

Has anyone done the "Paris on Your Own" tour through the ship? Did you find it difficult getting to the major places of interest? Did you use taxis, subway or HOHO buses to travel between sights? Anyone done the Seine Batobus? Also did you have trouble getting back to the tour bus on time?

Thanks

I really did Paris on my own. Our flights arrived at 8:00 am, and our onward flight to Rome wasn't until 7:00 pm, so thought we had plenty of time to see a little of Paris.

We took the Air France Bus from Charles De Gaulle to Gare de Lyon (the train station) to store our luggage. That was fun even finding someone to explain how to get to the back of the station, down the escalator to the lockers area, then hoisting our 44 lb bags up on to the conveyor belt. The attendant sat there watching us. Finally made it through, then of course had no idea that we would need EUR to make the lockers work. Two gentlemen were loading their bags into one locker, and very kindly helped two old ladies figure out the system.

Then we were off to walk the approx 10 blocks to the Batobus dock. Well, think again, the 10 blocks turned into about 50. Nothing was as simple as it appeared on the map. The road would end and you would have to back track or walk around (another 4 or 5 blocks) to get across the Seine. Then we walked another 1/4 mile along the river, right on the street as there were no sidewalks, to finally arrive at the Batobus dock. This first stop was at street level. Purchased our ticket, and really only saw the sights from the river. I had no idea the river was so far below the street level. Each dock we came to (Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, etc.) there were 50 to 100 stairs to reach the level the sight was on. So we debarked at the Eiffel Tower for photos, and got right back on the boat. My friend and I can't do stairs too well. She was even having difficulty walking. We did the circuit and saw what we could from the boat.

Then back to the train station to get our luggage, and made it back to the Air France bus stop, just as a bus was getting ready to leave for the airport. Be prepared, nobody in Europe really helps you with your luggage, at the bus, train station, airport or hotel. We hoised our luggage ourselves and made the trek back to the airport, around 4:00 pm. So we saw the sights, but not up close and personal.

If I were to do it again, I think I'd opt for the HO HO bus to be at the street level with all the buildings/sites. But never having been before, I thought the Batobus was something unique and different.

Seeing as you won't be battling luggage and will be dropped in a central spot, Paris is very easy to do on your own. The Batobus Boat runs along the Seine and you can hop on and off at the sites. They have a good website. We saw a lot of people using the hop on/off bus as well although we preferred to be on the Seine.

http://www.batobus.com/english/index.htm

the metro is also very easy to use. A lot of the stops are the name of the attraction they are close to (Notre Dame, Louvre etc). I've found the Paris metro easier than the subway in NYC. Just remember to figure out which line you want and the direction you need to go.

I do always prefer walking though to see as much above ground as you can. There is always something amazing around the corner!

I love Paris (4 times and counting)

the metro is also very easy to use. A lot of the stops are the name of the attraction they are close to (Notre Dame, Louvre etc). I've found the Paris metro easier than the subway in NYC. Just remember to figure out which line you want and the direction you need to go.

I do always prefer walking though to see as much above ground as you can. There is always something amazing around the corner!

Would you share where you stayed and the length of your trips. We are planning a trip for September and I am looking for hotels...a bit of sticker shock..:o

Paris is expensive...the last time i was in Paris, for the Paris marathon, we stayed a week in a hostel....it was great..private room two beds with bath...breakfast in am.. housekeeping every day....2 blocks from metro...hotel rooms in France are small....i believe it was called hotel beaujolie....paid about 45E a nite...

Would you share where you stayed and the length of your trips. We are planning a trip for September and I am looking for hotels...a bit of sticker shock..:o

How long are you planning on staying? We've been twice but have used Points for the Westin...God Bless Starwood ;) Hotel Muguet is highly rated and not ridiculously priced. Tripadvisor is a great site for hotel info. I have another hotel bookedmarked that was highly recommended here, let me see if I can find it.

Here you go....

http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/

I've stayed in Ibis Hotels in France, incl Paris, Spain, and Netherlands. While the rooms are small (bigger than a cruise ship but not much) they are always clean and comfortable, and cheap.

Rich

I was in Paris in Oct '08 and stayed at the airport. Originally planned for just one night, but airline cancelled flights and moved us from Saturday to Sunday, so ended up being two nights.

While the Campanile was a nice affordable hotel (only 57 EUR for a twin), the transportation cost into Paris was high. We went in on Friday night to go to Hard Rock Cafe for pre-paid dinner. I paid 70 EUR for the cab because of traffic. Return was only 30 EUR, but that dinner in Paris cost us around $150 for transportation. Wouldn't do that again.

Figure in the cost of transport when yoiu are looking for hotels. The hotel in the center of Paris might cost more, but you pay it in the long run anyway.

Have a great trip!

Has anyone done the "Paris on Your Own" tour through the ship? Did you find it difficult getting to the major places of interest? Did you use taxis, subway or HOHO buses to travel between sights? Anyone done the Seine Batobus? Also did you have trouble getting back to the tour bus on time?

Thanks

Taxis and buses are faced with slow Paris street traffic.. I would definitely use the subway. An all day, one day pass will cost 8.80 , for the usual tourist areas. I would start by mapping out what you want to see, find it on a Metro map (trying to minimize having to change trains). Start with the most distant from where the tour bus drops you off, and work your way back to where the bus picks you up.

Rich

The HOHO bus is very easy to use and takes you to all the major sites. Also as others have the said the metro is cheap and fairly easy to use - I must admit I found it harder than the Underground here in London. They are not too good and signs! That said, we managed to get around fine.

We stayed in a hotel a bit out of the centre and took the metro in. The rooms were quite a good size and clean. Here's a link to their web site.

http://www.kyriad.com/en/default.aspx

Frankie

• 2 weeks later...

Have you ever taken a train from La Havre to Paris? If so, please tell me how that went, and at which stop did you exit the train? Any help is greatly appreciated.:)

I haven't done the "Paris on Your Own" thru the cruise ship--thinking about doing it this summer on my cruise BUT I have been to Paris on several vacations, rented apt on Ile St Loius and wandered the city for days at a time.

Here's my suggestion--don't worry about the Metro, which is fairly easy to use. The BatoBus is okay but I really feel that one of the best things about Paris is just walking around and seeing the sites, eating the street vendor crepes, stopping at the bakeries. I don't know where the bus your would take drops you off. I looked online for the Princess Tour and it is near the Obelisk--very centrally located, across the Seine from the Musee Dorsey, which in my opinion is a far better museum than the Louvre. Anyway, see where the bus drops you off. There are many great small maps of Paris available in all of the major bookstores. Another thing to do could be to look at Rick Steve's book on Paris or on his online site and do one of his recommended walking tours near the area you will be dropped off/picked up.

Remember, you will only be in Paris for 4-6 hours, don't waste your time underground, waiting on lines. Enjoy the atmosphere and then plan on a return visit:D

I too would like to know EXACTLY where the Celebrity Paris On Your Own Bus lets passengers off and then reloads for the trip back to LeHavre. Sure would make much easier planning for our ONE BIG DAY in Paris!!! :)

As of last June, the Celebrity bus dropped off at the east pillar of the Eiffel Tower, on Avenue Gustave Eiffel. To get to transport, walk under the Tower toward the river. Right at the river, there is Batobus stop. You can also turn left onto the Quai Branly, walk 4 or 5 blocks, and get to the Bir Hakeim Metro stop. Or you can cross the Pont D'Iena, walk through the gardens of the Palais Trocadero, then climb the steps at the end of gardens, walk out to the street and turn right, and you will be at Trocadero Metro stop. And in the bargain, if you turn back once you have reached the top of the steps, you'll have a great photo op with the Eiffel Tower.

You asked about problems getting back on time. In June, my wife and I went to the Trocadero Metro stop, took the 6 train to Etoile, transferred to the 2 line, and got off at Anvers. This stop is quite close to the Rue Steinkerque, which leads you uphill to the funicular which takes you up to Montmartre. We wandered around Montmartre for a while, and eventually made our way to the Ile de la Cite where, in front of Notre Dame, we realized that we had only a half hour to get back to the bus - and not a cab in sight. There is an underground section of Paris's suburban train system, called the RER, which runs from near Notre Dame to near the Eiffel Tower. You can use regular Paris subway tickets on this portion, but it is not user-friendly, since the trains on each line branch off to a half-dozen different destinations unlike the regular Paris Metro. We got on a train, held our breaths, and it turned out to be going toward Champ de Mars, which is an RER stop closer to the Tower than either of the Metro stations I mentioned. We got back in time, but there were some moments of real suspense as we tried to figure out if the train was going toward the Tower, or away from it.

Agree strongly with binkysmom. Here are my tips for using the Metro:

PARIS METRO/SUBWAY: Great, great system! Probably best to buy packets of ten tickets, rather than a multi-day, three or five day pass. There are thirteen different subway lines, plus the suburban RER rail options. It is important to know which line or lines you want to use, IN ADVANCE, and the name of the end station for your direction so that you go down the right set of stairs to be on the correct side of the tracks. It's not as simple as New York City with uptown or downtown! But it offers totally great, fast, frequent service. Very clean and nice! Single tickets (1.40 Euros) may be purchased at the counters each time, but the better value is a carnet of 10 (10.70 Euros), which will also save you waiting in line. WEBSITE for maps and other info/details: http://www.ratp.info/touristes/index.php?langue=en

WHAT MAKES PARIS GREAT/UNIQUE? With style and sophisticaion, Paris is correctly proud of its cultural achievements over the centuries. This confidence is expressed in Parisian life, including its architecture from ancient structures to controversy over Hausmann's bold late 1800's master plan and more recent modern developments. Paris has taken bold decisions, including the Lourve with is now well-accepted glass pyramid by I. M. Pei.

Although at the heart of Europe, Paris is very individualistic and intuitive. The city has attracted great writers artists and thinkers. Historically, it has been a city of unrest, rebellion and revolution (an idea they helped finance in America and that lead to the sharp-edged 1789 removal of the Royal family). Paris has a special style and soul. It is a high-flying mix of architecture, fashion, history, idiosyncrasy, style, texture, color and atmosphere. Paris is romantic, distinctive!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

I've stayed in Ibis Hotels in France, incl Paris, Spain, and Netherlands. While the rooms are small (bigger than a cruise ship but not much) they are always clean and comfortable, and cheap.

Rich

Rich, Do you mind telling me what the price was for the Ibis Hotel? Thanks.:)

How long are you planning on staying? We've been twice but have used Points for the Westin...God Bless Starwood ;) Hotel Muguet is highly rated and not ridiculously priced. Tripadvisor is a great site for hotel info. I have another hotel bookedmarked that was highly recommended here, let me see if I can find it.

Here you go....

http://www.hotel-grandes-ecoles.com/

We are staying 8 nights. Going to Normandy for a day trip

The Hotel link looks great. Have found a great looking, nice recommendations... appartment on vrbo.com but have not received an answer from owner.

Thanks all for your responses.

We are staying 8 nights. Going to Normandy for a day trip

The Hotel link looks great. Have found a great looking, nice recommendations... appartment on vrbo.com but have not received an answer from owner.

Thanks all for your responses.

If you're looking for an apartment, which is a great idea, check out Slowtrav.com, it's affiliated with cruise critic. There are lots of recommendations and reviews of private apartment rentals in Paris.

We did "Paris on your own" when we were on the Splendor. We got dropped off by the Louvre and we took the Metro to all of the "spots" to see. We had no problems seeing everything we wanted to in 6 hours.

What ship were you on? We'll be on the Emerald Princess, May 10. Did you do the ship's excursion to Paris?

Archived