Drawstring Ponytails

Xenobia

Hey all! I am a drawstring ponytail queen; however this is my first cruise (yay!), and I wanted some advice on the best styles to wear.

My favorite style is a fairly long one, that tumbles down my back in large, soft curls. I'm worried, though, with windy conditions on a boat, it will whip this type of pony into a snarled mess. Many posters in the African American Hair thread have suggested the Wet and Wavy styles, but I'm curious about whatever options you gals suggest.

So let me know. What styles do you prefer? What activities have you done in them? How many ponys do you take with you?

Thanks. :D

Hey all! I am a drawstring ponytail queen; however this is my first cruise (yay!), and I wanted some advice on the best styles to wear.

My favorite style is a fairly long one, that tumbles down my back in large, soft curls. I'm worried, though, with windy conditions on a boat, it will whip this type of pony into a snarled mess. Many posters in the African American Hair thread have suggested the Wet and Wavy styles, but I'm curious about whatever options you gals suggest.

So let me know. What styles do you prefer? What activities have you done in them? How many ponys do you take with you?

Hi,

Welcome to Cruise Critic. It is wonderful that you are taking your first cruise.

I wish I could help you, but I don't know what is a drawstring ponytail.

My hair is as close to African American hair as a person's hair could come without being African American. I use to have my hair shoulder lenght and put a ton of gel in it to keep the curls from frizzing. But the wind on the ship did blow it around. Last year I cut it all off into a little fro. I love it. So easy to care for. I still put gel in it, if I don't want a frizzy look that day. Even short and frizzy curly it looks good.

Im taking one on my next cruise but I will only wear it at dinner or on port. I always have bobby pins on hand for extra hold and security just in case of windy days. Im also considering braids or Sengalese twists. But they will take forever to dry if I get them wet.

That is so pretty but not a good idea on deck in the wind. If the ship is moving, if there is wind as is common in Caribbean ports, that would quickly be a mess. Save that lovely look for evenings.

On deck, near the railings, it can be very windy. Away from the railing, the wind is much less. You shouldn't have a problem.

Thanks. It's my favorite pony and I would like to stick with what. I am comfortable with. Of course I certainly can't swim with it. I'll keep thinking of alternatives.

WOW how I wish I could do that ! My hair is super soft and fine and straight and well , wet it is straight , dry ...straight ...humid...you got it straight...got a perm ...end result...:o straight! I was blonde as a kid and now a ratty not blonde, not exactly brown. I dyed it for years and and now I just gave up and let nature take over. I am always envious of African American hair that styles so pretty or you can put in a hair piece and it looks great . I can't even put in a barrette that will stay in they just slide right out!!

Thanks. It's my favorite pony and I would like to stick with what. I am comfortable with. Of course I certainly can't swim with it. I'll keep thinking of alternatives.

Please have an alternative style in mind as it would be quite unusual for you to have a whole cruise of wind free outdoor decks. :)

It is a lovely style and it would be a shame for it to be blown to a mess you can't restyle easily.

I brought two on my last cruise. One was a little straighter for day and one was curlier for evening. Wore my own relaxed hair for beach days with headbands.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Forums mobile app

Archived