Does lower deck = more sea sickness?

luv2spy

Hi, I am a first time cruiser (Carnival-Ectasy 3- Baja cruise) to see if I like it. I was wondering if you think that getting a lower deck (let's say Deck 4) would cause more sea sickness than an upper deck (let's say Deck 8) or vice versa?

Thanks

Lougee I have wondered the same thing but lower, center is deffinitley better for motion.

Maybe the suites are up high so you get better views from the verandahs.

It all has to do with the tradition of cruising, in the form of "higher is better and more expensive". During the "good old days" of cruising, the pools, restaurants, spas, gyms, shops, theaters, etc., were on the top decks of the ships, and these more expensive cabins were much closer to them. IMO, the less motion is felt in the lower, mid-ship cabins.

There is no question that the higher decks and cabins have more movement....but for some it might be more fun (not for me - I get motion sick very easily).

Look at the water in the pool on deck 11 - when the ships goes through rough sea......it spills out of the pool ( they will lower the level or they will drain it, when it gets really bad).

Put a long stick (3 or 4 foot long) in the ground (not very deep, just enough for it to stay vertical) and move the top" left or right or back and forward and see how much movement there is on top in comparison what is in the ground...... ship is no different, same principle.

Wes

It all has to do with the tradition of cruising, in the form of "higher is better and more expensive". During the "good old days" of cruising, the pools, restaurants, spas, gyms, shops, theaters, etc., were on the top decks of the ships, and these more expensive cabins were much closer to them. IMO, the less motion is felt in the lower, mid-ship cabins.

Maybe on some ships. But look at the Norway. The original layout had the suites midship and on lower decks. The pool was not on deck but down below, where NCL put in the Disco.

It would be interesting to see where all the first class cabins were on some of the old liners. :)

Archived