Tips for clean eating on the cruise?

BigJo

Hi everyone. I've been working out hard and dieting for my upcoming cruise. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for eating healthy while on a cruise. I eat a bodybuilding diet and work out 6 days a week. I end up with 5 small meals a day. Of course it's a challenge with all of the great food on cruises. I'm a dessert girl myself :-)

Hi everyone. I've been working out hard and dieting for my upcoming cruise. I wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions for eating healthy while on a cruise. I eat a bodybuilding diet and work out 6 days a week. I end up with 5 small meals a day. Of course it's a challenge with all of the great food on cruises. I'm a dessert girl myself :-)

One of the best tips would be to have breakfast DELIVERED to your stateroom, instead of going to the buffet and being tempted with all those sugary, carb loaded food.

Instead, you can have delivered, for free, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, hard boiled eggs.

Also, limit your dessert/sweets to only 1 meal.

The bottom line is you need to have the WILL POWER not to over eat.

Since I have had a major lifestyle change in eating and fitness, I NEVER gain any weight after a cruise (just finished a 13 nt transatlantic). My traveling companions regularly commented on my 'discipline' in following healthy eating habits dispite all the temptations.

One of the best tips would be to have breakfast DELIVERED to your stateroom, instead of going to the buffet and being tempted with all those sugary, carb loaded food.

Instead, you can have delivered, for free, oatmeal, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, hard boiled eggs.

Also, limit your dessert/sweets to only 1 meal.

The bottom line is you need to have the WILL POWER not to over eat.

Since I have had a major lifestyle change in eating and fitness, I NEVER gain any weight after a cruise (just finished a 13 nt transatlantic). My traveling companions regularly commented on my 'discipline' in following healthy eating habits dispite all the temptations.

You are so inspirational. My favorite meal is breakfast even with my lifestyle change. I love to eat oatmeal every day. I wonder if room service does a veggie egg white omelet. The dessert idea makes a lot of sense. My sweetooth was always my biggest downfall. I will remember that!

• 3 weeks later...

I think the thing that gets most people in trouble is eating when they usually wouldnt...for example...I typically only eat an early lunch and dinner...if I go on a cruise and eat a big breakfast, a lunch, snack, dinner and then get room service late at night I am going to run into problems.

I think it's easier to eat better on a cruise, I'm not pressured by a work schedule & no need to skip meals due to being in a hurry & then overeat when you finally do sit down to a meal.

I lost a few pounds on the 2 week transatlantic cruise. If you enjoy working out you'll still be working on your cruise. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.

I ordered room service breakfast when I cruised on celebrity - carnival only seemed to have sugary carb type food offered on the breakfast room service menu.

• 1 month later...

Some people may have good intentions when boarding a cruise ship of eating well and staying away from the 24-hour pizza buffet or the freaking ridiculously delicious desserts. As in my wife’s case, maybe it works out that way in the beginning but eventually you succumb. There is nothing wrong with that. You shouldn’t take a cruise if you don’t plan on enjoying the food.

So you may be wondering whether Penny and I gained any weight. Yes, we did. It wasn’t much at all …3 pounds each. And I’ve already lost two of those pounds in the four days we’ve been back. If anything, my body really probably needed that break. My muscles seemed to have filled out some and my metabolism is stoked again.

• 3 months later...

I agree with most posters out here. It's all about choices when you hit the long buffet lines and endless dessert trays :)

I am not certain of all ships, however, carnival and royal have spa choices right on the MDR menu. That is a no-brainer...there are fabulous choices on there including dessert.

The cruise isn't really about the food is it? Well, maybe for some folks:confused:

I lost 20 lbs before my cruise and gained 1.5 pounds after 11 days away from my comfy kitchen with all my 'stuff' available to me. I opted for light beer or light cocktails instead of the frufru fruity drinks loaded with sugar. I ate from the spa choices in the MDR. I ate all protein items for breakfast and drank loads of lemon water. I ate whatever I wanted for lunch from fried to pizza to salad. I saved my sweet treat for evening after the show. I really didn't feel like I was sacrificing anything. We even ate at the specialty restaurant and johnny rockets! For exercise, I did some brisk walking a few times and skipped the elevator a few times after dinner, but didn't work out in the fitness centers.

It's all about choices and you will be fine if you set your personal expectation and try to stick with it. I love this saying from one of my past counsellors: one meal doesn't make a bad day, one bad day doesn't make a bad week, and one bad week doesn't make a bad month--get back on track and catch yourself.:)

• 2 weeks later...
I think it's easier to eat better on a cruise, I'm not pressured by a work schedule & no need to skip meals due to being in a hurry & then overeat when you finally do sit down to a meal.

I lost a few pounds on the 2 week transatlantic cruise. If you enjoy working out you'll still be working on your cruise. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.

I ordered room service breakfast when I cruised on celebrity - carnival only seemed to have sugary carb type food offered on the breakfast room service menu.

I agree. I think it is easier to eat right on a cruise. There are plenty of healthy options even on the buffet. I do tend to eat more, and so I spend a little more time in the gym doing cardio. If I gain 2 or 3 pounds it's gone in a week or so.

• 3 weeks later...

Avoid buffets and if you do eat at a buffet take smaller portions and when you eat just like a good glass of wine take your time and enjoy each mouthful. Be sure to exercise more and try to walk the steps and avoid the elevators. Eat a lot of salad, vegetables, fresh fruit and fish.

Keith

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We make a goal at the beginning of our cruises to not take the elevator at all except boarding with our luggage and disembarking. We have done this each and every cruise and we manage not to gain weight even though we drink a wee bit more alcohol than at home! We also go to the fitness center and work out every day too. Good luck... you can do it!

• 7 months later...

I've recently read that the water onboard ship is really high in sodium due to the water purification process that uses the sea water. I've heard it doesn't taste salty, but the sodium content is still really high which also will make you retain a lot of water.... so when we lose those cruise pounds quickly during the first week back home, often it is just ditching all that sodium retained water. i'm bringing my own case of water this time!;)

I've recently read that the water onboard ship is really high in sodium due to the water purification process that uses the sea water. I've heard it doesn't taste salty, but the sodium content is still really high which also will make you retain a lot of water.... so when we lose those cruise pounds quickly during the first week back home, often it is just ditching all that sodium retained water. i'm bringing my own case of water this time!;)

That's my opinion too! I did the same on my last cruise, and this was the only one in years that my face did not swell up like a balloon. Yes, there is still the same ship's water used in the coffee or tea and used to prepare the food you eat - but at least your poor kidneys get a bit of break with some regular water throughout the day. Come back to post if it made a difference after your cruise!

we are really worried about this. Do we put packs of 17 oz. bottles in each of our carry-ons? Is this acceptable to security?

I normally bring a whole case of water with me. I leave it wrapped in the plastic I buy it in and attach a luggage tag to the top with packing tape. It gets delivered with my luggage.

As far as watching what you eat I always say no thank you to the rolls at every meal and if you MUST try the pasta dish get the appetizer size.

Hi, everyone,

we just stepped off the ship this morning. I am happy to say, YES, bringing the water did indeed help. I actually Only drank bottled water for the entire cruise, with the exception of wine at night (no juices, teas, lemonade, etc). I did have hot chocolate a few times though. We were gone for 5 nights and I singlehandedly went through the 20 water bottles I brought. I wish I had brought more though. Also, I had opened them out of the case and had put them in a duffle bag with a luggage tag. However this time I noticed Several people in line to board carrying on their cases of water. Funny because on past cruises I've never noticed that many carrying on water and soda. Anyway, that afternoon once luggage had been delivered to our cabin, I opened the duffle and there was a letter on top of my water bottles from carnival saying something like, "we had to check your bag since it seemed like there might be soemthing not allowed. We've found it to be alright though. Please be sure to check your Carnival policies. ". So I'm guessing you r supposed to carry on the water. Either that or it is supposed to be left in it's original packaging. I know we will be bringing a case for our cruise in may, but if we can check the cases in tact, then I'll be bringing two cases for the rest of the family, too.

Hi, everyone,

we just stepped off the ship this morning. I am happy to say, YES, bringing the water did indeed help. I actually Only drank bottled water for the entire cruise, with the exception of wine at night (no juices, teas, lemonade, etc). I did have hot chocolate a few times though.

That's great that the water helped. Thanks for coming back to post! I know for me, bringing on the water or buying some sort of water package is just part of my cruise routine from now on.

• 3 weeks later...

That's interesting about the high sodium levels in the ship's water. You certainly cannot taste it.

As to the original post, I'm in favour of a high protein regime... with carbs only at breakfast (muesli + yoghurt + fruit). My eating pattern does not differ much from when I'm not cruising. There is a wonderful assortment of healthy food onboard.

• 5 months later...

I'm expecting to gain a few pounds on our 45d cruise next week but hoping to keep it to a minimum. I never take the elevator on board and try to work out on sea days and walk a lot on port days.

My problem is the fattening delicious cold soups and desserts. I've tried the just have one bite or only eat half method and that works most of the time. I don't normally eat either of these but LOVE them - that is why I don't normally cook them! My will power does lessen as the cruise goes unfortunately.

• 1 year later...

Hey Everyone! I am a 25-year-old former Toowoomba woman, a Year 1 teacher at St Bernard's Catholic School in Brisbane, joined the Ashy Bines Bikini Body Challenge back in April.

I did it because I wanted to feel more confident in my own skin after struggling with low body self-esteem for most of my teenage years, continuing into my young adult life.

To me "It was never about losing weight,"

"It was about changing my diet and eating clean.

"As soon as I started it, I felt so much better. I think everyone can see how I feel on the inside too."

I toned up by following the Ashy Bines clean eating plan and exercise plan.

"It was so easy."

Now in the best shape of my life and glowing with confidence, Ientered the Ashy Bines Best Physical Transformation competition and is going head-to-head with women from all over Australia.

http://www.cleaneatingdietplan.com/

• 3 months later...

Don't throw away all that hard work just because you are on a cruise. Be proud of your achievemnets and stick to the same routine on onboard.

Desserts are empty calories ...as are carbs. Melon fruits or sorbet could be a sweetie dessert substitute.

Wishing you all the best for your cruise.

• 2 months later...

Just returned from a 14 day cruise 3 pounds lighter!! A fewTips - always take the stairs, start lunch with huge salad and lemon water, say no to rolls( limit breads), high protein breakfast to start day, all drinks, from juice to alcohol are empty calories - choose wisely. Share a dessert Exercise daily and do light weights. Eat fish - served amazing onboard. Choose excursions that are active. Enjoy the food - but don't overindulge. Mostly, enjoy the ports, people, and all the activities!

Archived