Good underwater camera? I don't know where to post this question.

stinax182

Please move this thread wherever it should be if you have to. I'm a first time cruiser and relatively new to the forum. I'm just looking for suggestions regarding what underwater camera to purchase for my trip to the western Caribbean next year. I have no experience with digital cameras but am looking for a good picture quality and an looking to spend 150$. Thank you.

I have one of these that I brought off the ship a couple of years ago the price has gone down a lot, less than what you are looking to spend on Amazon. Olympus TG-610 Tough 14 MP Digital Camera

underwater

P5160023.jpg

P1140865_zpsa6b15076.jpg

on land

P5180132.jpg

bit of both

P5160031.jpg

Edited by mips

I like the tough line, im clumsy :) The fact that I can drop it (I think its rated for 5 feet) and not worry is wonderful. It is only rated for snorkeling though not diving. I am also not the worlds best photographer.

Edited by mips

• 2 weeks later...

I have had three Olympus Tough Cameras. I have upgraded as the product has gotten better. My nieces have my old cameras, as they are incredibly durable. I cannot begin to tell you what a great camera this is for a point and shoot. It's super easy to use and great for being waterproof, shockproof/"drop"proof, sand proof, etc.

I was buying my second one at a Best Buy here in our hometown when a group of Marines and sailors came in looking for cameras to take on a deployment. I highly recommended them. This group bought about 10 of them. I ended up hearing from some of them later that they loved this camera. I think Best Buy was ready to hire me on the spot.

My introduction to the camera was from my brother who let his daughter throw it into the pool and swim down to retrieve it. I was shocked and wondered why he was not upset. He told me and showed me. If a camera can hold up to a two year old throwing it and diving for it, it can do whatever I want it to do on a cruise.

Need to get some new batteries for mine. I somehow lost my charger (and the battery too).

Need to get some new batteries for mine. I somehow lost my charger (and the battery too).

I found chargers on Amazon for about $7 I misplaced mine and of course found it the day the new one arrived. I have not had to replace the battery in 3 years though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Buy a SeaLife DC1400. It comes in a housing so it can be used above and below water. Best point and shoot camera around....can be had for $499

on Amazon. Comes with a strobe for another $399. I do lots of underwater photography and the SeaLife cameras suit me just fine. I have a DC600, DC1200 and the DC1400.

I have no experience with digital cameras but am looking for a good picture quality and an looking to spend 150$. Thank you.

You probably can get more responses in the Digital Photography & Cruise Technology section

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used the Nikon AW 120 on my last cruise.

Now they have Nikon AW130.

Waterproof and easy to operate with a screen so you can see what you are shooting, photo or video.

Very interesting feature is the built in WiFi. I go back to my cabin and i can connect to my iphone, ipad or lap top and back uo the photos off the camera onto several devices.

You can also zoom, records sound. Great for all around use once you are home.

Camera ~$300

I also have GoPro Silver 4. It dies a nice job but no zoom. Good action camera but cost more than the Nikon.

• 3 months later...

I had surprisingly good results from two options I tried:

1: disposable waterproof cameras purchased at a drug store... the kind pre-loaded with film where you take the whole camera to the developer

2: putting my pocket-sized digital camera into a "DiCAPac WP570 Underwater Waterproof Case for Large Cameras"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you belong to Costco the Fuji XP90 is on sale for $149 with battery, float strap, charger & I think an SD card. We're on our second Fuji (only cause the first one fell out of a bathing suit pocket while paddleboarding (he didn't have float strap on it [emoji30].

Incredibly durable for the price & freeze & dustproof too

I wanted the Olympus Tigi but couldn't justify the $400 they wanted for it

Here's some pictures from the Fuji ImageUploadedByForums1465152328.394710.jpg.754429dc6dacdba36992432e5e9de97b.jpg

It also has video & wifi (that actually works!)

ImageUploadedByForums1465152014.454602.jpg.cb6b723560a10b2c101ead2b57fe00ce.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1465152030.110954.jpg.c16a0e12adf28d9846facb453d7fd43f.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1465152090.608216.jpg.ba8dcf4eee570c076964ddd892a1f1f7.jpg

ImageUploadedByForums1465152172.566731.jpg.8f99363dfb856e858b4c93cb502e914d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nikon, Olympus, GoPro, Ion, etc all have adequate cameras for the non-professional snorkel / dive folks. All under $400 and less. They have WiFi capability so you can transfer your pics each day to your ipad or whatever on board. Very helpful in case you loose the camera. Floats will help avoid that issue but some folks dont put them on all the time due to the bulk. Cameras have video capability as well. My Olympus even marks the GOS coordinates of each picture.

If you cruise or hit the beach alot, theses camears are good above and below tge water.

One important aspect most folks miss are filters for the lens and setting on the camera.

Here is just one of many sites you can Google on the subject.

http://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/snorkeling-photography.html

Also make sure you get a class 10 SD CARD within the capacity of the camera and format it before use.

Good luck with your choice

Edited by FireStation46