Luggage and carry-on same size limits?

TheJayCat

Reading Carnivals website I find this and am a little confused.

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W x 30"L. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"W x 16"H x 30"L. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage.

So as I understand it, they are the same size. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

There is no size limit for checked baggage. The sizes above are for carry-on baggage (you have the option of carrying on ALL your luggage, if you wish, but they MUST fit the carry-on bag size limit because they have to go through the x-ray scanner, which is like the x-ray scanners at airports for carry-on items).

There is no size limit for checked baggage. The sizes above are for carry-on baggage (you have the option of carrying on ALL your luggage, if you wish, but they MUST fit the carry-on bag size limit because they have to go through the x-ray scanner, which is like the x-ray scanners at airports for carry-on items).

I believe there is indeed a size limit now on checked luggage. On our cruise in April I had to repack our luggage to fall into those limits. (Had to take an extra suitcase.)

Also please note that there is a new restriction for coolers. We went out and bought 2 to replace the one large rolling one we have used previously.

I am curious about the same things, don't they x ray your check luggage as well? 16x24x30 is for your carry on, that they do xray? Or is it better to buy a rolling truck type thing? Is that is where you are supposed to put your water, pop, wine? Are they going to see the wine, water etc and ??????????? Would there be a problem rolling the 16x24x30 around the deck until your room is ready? Can we also bring our knapsac as well, with our personables/papers, cameras etc? Do they xray that as well? Stupid questions I am sure. Carnival makes it a bit confusing. At least I know not to check any drinks etc on the checked bags correct? Jeesh, what to do, lots of rules.:eek: Suggestons?

EMOSEWA:cool:

I believe there is indeed a size limit now on checked luggage. On our cruise in April I had to repack our luggage to fall into those limits. (Had to take an extra suitcase.)

Not according to Carnival's Web site. They have recommendations, but those aren't restrictions. (The prohibited items list are, of course, restrictions.)

The airlines do have restrictions; they will make you pay dearly if your bag is overweight or if you have multiple bags.

Also please note that there is a new restriction for coolers. We went out and bought 2 to replace the one large rolling one we have used previously.

That's been there for a while, but, yeah, you can't have a cooler over 12"x12"x12".

I am curious about the same things, don't they x ray your check luggage as well?

They do, but, like the airlines, they have larger x-ray machines for those larger bags.

16x24x30 is for your carry on, that they do xray?

Yes, you will go through a security check just like you do in the airport when you fly. You put your bag through the x-ray machine and you walk through a metal detector. Note that the 3-1-1 liquids/gels rule does NOT apply to cruise ship carry-ons, but it does apply to airplane carry-ons.

Or is it better to buy a rolling truck type thing? Is that is where you are supposed to put your water, pop, wine? Are they going to see the wine, water etc and ??????????? Would there be a problem rolling the 16x24x30 around the deck until your room is ready?

You can use a rolling bag or a folding luggage cart to make it easier to tote your bag(s) around.

Your 12-pack of soda/water and your bottle of wine have to be carried onto the ship; they cannot be in your checked baggage. Yes, they will see what you are bringing on and they will be x-rayed like all carry-on pieces.

Can we also bring our knapsac as well, with our personables/papers, cameras etc? Do they xray that as well?

You can bring as much as you can (or want to) carry/tote, as long as the bags fit the carry-on size requirements and, of course, are not prohibited items (i.e. weapons). They will all be x-rayed and every person will go through the walk-through metal detector.

Reading Carnivals website I find this and am a little confused.

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W x 30"L. Please attach your Carnival Cruise Lines luggage tags PRIOR to leaving home and make sure that they are still on your bags when checking in with us. In many ports, guests have the option of carrying luggage on board at embarkation and off the ship at the end of the cruise as long as it does not exceed 24"W x 16"H x 30"L. This is an advantage you may want to consider as it will allow for quicker easier access to your bags. Please note that Carnival assumes no responsibility for carry-on luggage.

So as I understand it, they are the same size. Am I wrong?

Thanks.

It is confusing, but what Carnival is saying is this:

1. They prefer checked luggage to be no larger than 24x16x30, and no heavier than 50 lbs.

2. If you plan to carry your luggage off at disembarkation it must not be larger than 24x16x30. Since you are being the pack mule it can weigh anything that you want it to.

3. Carry on luggage (which is not mentioned above) must be of a size that fits through the scanner.

There is a suggested size limit for checked luggage, it is not enforced, but Carnival could decide to enforce it if they wanted. The sizes mentioned by the OP are for checked luggage NOT carry on.

I am curious about the same things, don't they x ray your check luggage as well? 16x24x30 is for your carry on, that they do xray? Or is it better to buy a rolling truck type thing? Is that is where you are supposed to put your water, pop, wine? Are they going to see the wine, water etc and ??????????? Would there be a problem rolling the 16x24x30 around the deck until your room is ready? Can we also bring our knapsac as well, with our personables/papers, cameras etc? Do they xray that as well? Stupid questions I am sure. Carnival makes it a bit confusing. At least I know not to check any drinks etc on the checked bags correct? Jeesh, what to do, lots of rules. Suggestons?

EMOSEWA

16x24x30 will not fit through the scanner. Carry on luggage cannot be more than 16 x 16 x any length that you desire.

There is a suggested size limit for checked luggage, it is not enforced, but Carnival could decide to enforce it if they wanted. The sizes mentioned by the OP are for checked luggage NOT carry on.

16x24x30 will not fit through the scanner. Carry on luggage cannot be more than 16 x 16 x any length that you desire.

That is what I was looking for, but didn't find it on Carnivals website. Where did you get this information from?

That is what I was looking for, but didn't find it on Carnivals website. Where did you get this information from?

Here is the FAQ

Do you have luggage restrictions?In order to maintain a safe and secure environment, Carnival prohibits guests from bringing certain items on board, i.e., weapons, candles, irons, alcohol, or other dangerous goods. According to our policy, Carnival conducts security scanning of all baggage and if prohibited items are found, they will be removed and stored on board for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained item(s) will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night of the cruise. Unsealed containers with prohibited liquids will be discarded, as well as any unclaimed items left after the voyage, and no compensation will be given in either case. For additional information, please refer to the terms and conditions of your cruise ticket contract.

We suggest all luggage be unlocked before turning over to the porters in order to avoid any inconvenience to you or delay in delivering the luggage to your stateroom. Should you choose not to unlock your bags and prohibited items are found during screening, your luggage will be retained until you can open it in front of security personnel.

Guests, 21 years of age and older, may bring one bottle (750ml) of wine or champagne, per person, only in their carry-on luggage.

Alternatively, curbside porters are available at the pier to take luggage to the vessel for delivery to your stateroom by shipboard personnel. Customary tip is $1 per bag. Please be sure each piece of luggage is unlocked and has a tag listing your name and stateroom number. Curbside porters are not employees of Carnival; therefore, if you experience any problems, please report them to porter management on site. Any luggage left at the pier will be forwarded at your expense. Claims for luggage loss or damage must be made in writing to the debarkation personnel prior to leaving the pier area.

If you are traveling by air, we strongly recommend that you contact your air carrier to obtain their luggage allowance policy for the maximum number, size and weight of bags that each guest is allowed at no charge. Guests are responsible for luggage fees, excess luggage charges as well as any other charges imposed by air carriers or airports. We recommend that each guest verify with the airline representative that their luggage is checked-in to their final destination.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/faq/default.aspx?icid=CC_Footer_88#q-545373

Please note that the dimensions for carry on luggage are based on what has been posted and observed at typical scanners like in the airport. As long as carry on luggage will fit in the scanner it can be carried on the ship.

I saw some people have to go back to the porters with their luggage in Tampa last week. The luggage looked to be around the 24" size. I was surprised to see the workers make them take it back out the door to the porter.

I saw some people have to go back to the porters with their luggage in Tampa last week. The luggage looked to be around the 24" size. I was surprised to see the workers make them take it back out the door to the porter.

Saw the same thing on 10/4, but that person had about a 30" suitcase which is allowed as a carryon according to Carnival's website.

Thanks for all the information. Now lets see if I got it right.....

checked bags, no pop water, wine, etc, size not to exceed 50 lbs, and be no bigger than 16x24x30. Carry on, 16x16. This is my problem:mad:

I have no idea how I will get pop, water and wine in a 16x16 carry on??:eek:

Should I buy a hand truck, I suppose you just unpack your items to have them scanned? I thought I would just wheel a small type suitcase as a carry on, to load my drinks for the kids, but I guess not.:( Feel stupid taking water off, then the case of pop, etc........

Any more suggestions?

checked bags, no pop water, wine, etc, size not to exceed 50 lbs, and be no bigger than 16x24x30. Carry on, 16x16. This is my problem:mad:

Should I buy a hand truck, I suppose you just unpack your items to have them scanned? I thought I would just wheel a small type suitcase as a carry on, to load my drinks for the kids, but I guess not.:( Feel stupid taking water off, then the case of pop, etc........

Any more suggestions?

Think of the carry on as a box, you only have 2 of the dimensions. A 12 pack of soda is about 6 x 6 so it is not hard to do at all. Just use a book bag or something like that instead of a suitcase.

Any more suggestions?

We have a carry on with wheels and it fits just fine into the xray, then we each have a checked bag, which was about 60lbs because we had things for our sons wedding on the beach later in the week, we always fly, thankgoodness when its family trips like cruising we always use FF Miles and with being platinum we dont have to pay for the luggage fees. You will do just fine putting your drinks ect in your carryon!!, you dont need a handtruck!!!

16X24X30 will definitely fit through the scanners. Have carried that size through at several ports. The problem is that some ports will not allow you to carry it on but it has nothing to do with it not fitting through the scanner.

Once at the Fort Lauderdale port, they said it was too heavy ( approx. 50lbs ) for them to lift on and off the scanner but when my DH did it, they had no problems with it.

As for carrying your suitcases off yourself, the rule is that you must be able to handle it all by yourself without asking for assistance.

Our local travel agency http://www.galvestoncruises.com has a section on info for those leaving from Galveston. For carry on luggage it must be 11 x 17 and can be any length because it lays flat . The reports of having to use the metal frame to check your carry one in Galveston appear to agree with that measurement. So the info on Carnival's site is mostly for when you leave since your bag is not scanned.

Archived