Avoiding marijuana

meganmegan

Hi cruizers!

I've talked to friends who also have children and was shocked when they told me how often they were asked to buy marijuana in Cozumel. What places should be avoided? We will be on the Carnival fantasy ship. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi cruizers!

I've talked to friends who also have children and was shocked when they told me how often they were asked to buy marijuana in Cozumel. What places should be avoided? We will be on the Carnival fantasy ship. Thanks for your help in advance.

Some people have ALL of the luck. We have been to Coz 8 times and have never been solicited, but we're old.:( My BIL was in Belize. He was looking at pipes and was told that they also had something to put in the pipe, but that is the only case in our our travels. BTW, he is in his mid 30's. I guess that when you hit 50 noone thinks that you partake.;)

I honestly don't know how to avoid this. Several ports are notorious for it, especially Jamaica. Your best defense is to travel in larger groups and don't shop for pipes.:D

Hi cruizers!

I've been 3 times on cruise ships, and spent a week in the area, and not once was asked.

Honestly the only way to avoid it is to not get off the ship. I would say your best bet is to just ignore them or say "No Thank You" and continue on your way. There is really no 100% fool proof way to avoid this.

Been three times and I must be going to the wrong area (kidding) never been approached or felt threatend in any matter. The biggest issue is explaining to kids why adults have balloons on their heads and are walking funny with a plastic yards of drink.

I've been 3 times on cruise ships, and spent a week in the area, and not once was asked.

I've only been there once on a cruise, but have done two 1 week vacations there. Never was asked even when walking around in town by myself at night. :confused:

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it.

I live in Cozumel and I’m shocked at the original poster’s statement. It is a rare incident where some small time trafficker can operate in the tourist zones of this island community. There is a very strong military presence here and that is the primary reason Cozumel isn’t suffering from the same organized crime much of the rest of the country is living through.

They are either ¨pulling you leg¨ or happened to arrive in Cozumel on a strange day when maybe one little baggie salesman was hard pressed for cash.

This is NOT a common event on the streets of Cozumel and most especially no such activity of this nature in the zones typically hosting tourists.

I concur with one of the above posters, ¨Just say no¨.

I've been to Cozumel 4 times, with large groups of people, and have never heard of anyone being asked such a question. I would also think it highly unlikely that anyone with kids in tow would be solicited. But, as our local poster said, if you are asked, just say "no". And, you do need to come up with an explanation for the balloon people :D

Been for a week, and on two separate cruises, and NEVER EVER have we been approached by anyone asking us if we want to buy weed. Sounds to me like someone is confusing their ports, or lumping all ports into one experience or something to that effect. Although, after you have a couple of "fishbowl" margaritas, I guess you may remember things that didn't really take place.. :p

Been for a week, and on two separate cruises, and NEVER EVER have we been approached by anyone asking us if we want to buy weed. Sounds to me like someone is confusing their ports, or lumping all ports into one experience or something to that effect. Although, after you have a couple of "fishbowl" margaritas, I guess you may remember things that didn't really take place.. :p

Ah, yes, and I have to admit I've been one of the "balloon people" a time or two!

Have been to Cozumel on 5 Cruises and also stayed there once for a week long holiday and have never been asked. However, like everyone else has said, just say no. On the other hand, if we ever cruise to Jamaica again, we will probably not get off the ship due to the number of times we have been bothered with people selling drugs and everything else!

I have to echo the fellow posters and say that we were never once offered pot in Cozumel.

Now Belize? LOL! In the space of 15 minutes my boyfriend got 5 offers for marijuana and 1 offer for a woman! :eek: All of this within 20 feet of the security officers at the port. I will say though, that they were very friendly and took no for an answer without any hassles whatsoever.

Been three times and I must be going to the wrong area (kidding) never been approached or felt threatend in any matter. The biggest issue is explaining to kids why adults have balloons on their heads and are walking funny with a plastic yards of drink.

Well I'm almost afraid to ask...but since I'll be in Cozumel next month for the first time...why do they have balloons on their heads? And what are plastic yards of drink? :confused:

Well I'm almost afraid to ask...but since I'll be in Cozumel next month for the first time...why do they have balloons on their heads? And what are plastic yards of drink? :confused:

Some of the tourist bars, like Carlos and Charlies, makes balloon animals for patrons to "proudly" wear on their heads as they stumble back to the ship.

Margarita by the Yard:

glass.JPG

I have been to Cozumel 16 times in four years. I have NEVER been approached with an offer for drugs. I have pretty much been down every street in downtown Cozumel walking. I believe they have their ports confused. Jamaica on the other hand was nothing but offers.

Dave

Never in Cozumel but I can’t say the same for Belize. I must have been asked 6 or 7 times mostly from guys riding by on bicycles asking if I wanted some smoke.

No big deal tho, just tell them no thanks, they move on

Archived