Which line(s) wouldn't you cruise with?

Velvetwater

Disney would be the one I wouldn't really want to go back on. RCCL is the next. The best cruises we have had have been on Carnival. Haven't seen a lot of the things that others have talked about so maybe it is because of the time of year we go and the length of time we do. We have had excellent service and food on Carnival. Princess is the next line that we look forward to after Carnival. And we are in our late 50's and early 60's. We don't drink and we don't smoke and in all our cruises we have only seen 2 people who had had too much to drink. And they were being taken back to their cabins by a family member and not causing a problem.

RCCL we ran into too many people saving chairs everywhere and being very verbal and abusive if you tried to sit down in an empty chair. I am not very tall (4' 8") and some of these people really scared me. It really did put a damper on my cruise as I was getting afraid to go to event or show. I have never had a problem on Carnival or Princess. My diet was really looked after on Carnival, somewhat on Princess and not at all on RCCL or Disney.

tigercat

Yea.. nice to see another Carnival groupie!! I have also had great experiences on this cruise line.

We had a horror story of a cruise on MSC and would not sail again with them. We were with three other couples who were all very disappointed with many aspects of this TA cruise experience.:(

What was the story? I've heard that the only thing they have going for them is the hardware (and specifically the newer builds -- Divina, Preziosa). MSC is definitely on my no-cruise list, at least until they get a better reputation for food and service.

I'd have to disagree with you there. We received top-notch service on our last cruise, which happened to be NCL. We received a great price, had an aft-facing balcony, and could not have possibly received better service. Although I know that this isn't everyone's experience and YMMV, we laughed at the thought of paying for a room which would offer a butler as we felt that we were waited on hand and foot everywhere we went. Not to get in an outright disagreement with you, but just wanted to point out that money doesn't always buy good service, and sometimes excellent service is given without having to pay that extra. ;)

We've always enjoyed NCL, particularly at the suite level -- outstanding service and staff. Very relaxing. We also like Princess and Royal Carribean. Next, we are trying Celebrity. We've never had a bad cruise. ( knock wood)!

I wouldn't say "never" until I've cruised a line and then maybe I'd say

"never again". That being said, I'd never sail again on NCL again. We were a group, we do an annual group winter Caribbean cruise and 3/4 of the folks said, "If you choose NCL again, we will NOT go." I'm not going to elaborate on all of the whys and wherefores. I know some folks who think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread! And that's why there are many lines to choose from. What's the old saying?......Something like, "What's one man's pleasure is another man's poison". We LOVE cruise vacations and some folks we know who have taken one said "We HATED it!!!!! We will NEVER go on another cruise!" Someone above said they would never take a river cruise. For us, our absolutely most favorite way to travel in Europe IS a river cruise. Different strokes.........................

Edited by marco

I won't sail HAL again - at least not for 30 years or so. DH won't sail Carnival again. Neither of us were really happy with Princess, but I would possibly give them another shot for a special itinerary.

We primarily look at Norwegian and Celebrity first.

Hey just wondered if theres any company you would avoid either through rumour or a bad experience.

I won't say "never" because things do change, but for now I will not be sailing HAL anymore. I know I'll like it in 30 years or so but for now, it's just too sleepy for me.

NCL is another one. My last 3 cruises with them have been awful wrt service and maintenance. It'll be a long time before I book another cruise with them.

Carnival...I have no desire to book based on reputation.

I would never say never either. If someone offered me a free cruise on a ship I would jump at it and hope for the best. I would enjoy the cruise as much as I can. I don't go looking for things and let things roll off my back, I am on vacation. My experience with Disney was horrible and the cruise was not fun but if offered a free cruise I would go. I do know that things change from cruise to cruise and person to person.

tigercat

We LOVE cruise vacations and some folks we know who have taken one said "We HATED it!!!!! We will NEVER go on another cruise!"

It's probably because they cruised with one of the least liked cruise lines mentioned in this thread and came away with a low opinion of cruising in general. We knew five couples who have been on cruises before we decided to try it. Two couples, both of whom took their one and only cruise on Carnival, did not enjoy the experience and won't go on another cruise. Three other couples we know enjoy cruising and recommended it. Two of these couples cruised with Celebrity the first time, the other Princess.

Although not a scientific study, the responses from our friends helped us choose a first cruise. Suffice it to say, it wasn't a cruise on Carnival. That mistake came after we had already become hooked on cruising. ;)

Edited by fortinweb

It's probably because they cruised with one of the least liked cruise lines mentioned in this thread and came away with a low opinion of cruising in general. We knew five couples who have been on cruises before we decided to try it. Two couples, both of whom took their one and only cruise on Carnival, did not enjoy the experience and won't go on another cruise. Three other couples we know enjoy cruising and recommended it. Two of these couples cruised with Celebrity the first time, the other Princess.

Although not a scientific study, the responses from our friends helped us choose a first cruise. Suffice it to say, it wasn't a cruise on Carnival. That mistake came after we had already become hooked on cruising. ;)

For years, our neighbors were intrigued with cruising based on my continual praise of it. Finally, they decided to see what all the hype was about and try it for themselves. Unfortunately, they are a little stubborn and against my advice, booked the cheapest cruise they could find. Yes, of course, that was Carnival. They HATED it. They actually considered disembarking the ship early and flying back to Florida. Their biggest complaint was passenger behavior and a cheap atmosphere. Regardless of what I tell them, they insist they will never cruise again.

For some of us, excellent service is only one aspect of a cruise. While NCL may provide excellent service, the rest of the product is unappealing to many of us (as evidenced in every "worst cruise line thread" I have ever read, including this one with 481 responses http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1481929&highlight=worst+cruiseline).

No one I have ever talked to who cruises NCL would ever call it an "elegant" experience. Instead, what they describe isn't much different than hanging out at the mall or local water park, both of which I can experience any weekend at home. I have never read on these boards anyone saying that they felt the experience was unique. Instead they seemed excited about how much the experience resembled what they usually enjoy anywhere else they go for vacation, and how little difference there is from what they would typically do on summer weekends.

There are many of us who see cruising as unique and special, something over and above our normal activities. We want something different, something rewarding, something we will remember. We tend to avoid those cruise lines that minimize those traits by designing their product to be too much like the same thing we can have at home.

Oh trust me, I don't put the time, money, and effort into cruising to have experiences "too much like the same thing we can have at home". Cruising, for me, is a fantastic opportunity to relax, enjoy beautiful scenery, make new friends, try new foods, and the list goes on and on. I absolutely love that cruising literally and figuratively takes me to a place far away from home. Cruising is a special experience, whether I'm in an interior on a quick trip to the Bahamas or splurging with a higher category on a newer ship. It can be the oldest in the fleet or the newest, and it all brings something special. While you reference the 481 responses about NCL basically being nothing special, there are reviews (including my own) that would beg to differ. My comment was only to point out that you don't always have to pay to get these special, unique moments, as someone else had suggested.

Very good points, especially about the older cruise market which is why I wondered about what cruising will look like in 20 years time.

In 20 years there will be fewer ships and a majority of those will be "mega" ships. There will be a few niche players still there. Cruise ships in general will probably go to up charging for more and more services to bring more cruisers on board (watch for more pay for access eateries and spaces) and more exclusive conclaves within the ships for passengers willing to pay the price. I also don't think river cruises will be able to sustain its growth and predict that there will be few of those left. The top 6 cruise companies in 2034 IMO:

1. RCCL

2. Disney

3. Virgin

4. Celebrity

5. NCL

6. Carnival

For years, our neighbors were intrigued with cruising based on my continual praise of it. Finally, they decided to see what all the hype was about and try it for themselves. Unfortunately, they are a little stubborn and against my advice, booked the cheapest cruise they could find. Yes, of course, that was Carnival. They HATED it. They actually considered disembarking the ship early and flying back to Florida. Their biggest complaint was passenger behavior and a cheap atmosphere. Regardless of what I tell them, they insist they will never cruise again.

We went on a Ruby Princess cruise last month. Our 12th cruise, but first on Princess. I had 1 co-worker go on his first cruise ever on the Carnival Glory a week after our cruise. A 2nd co-worker went on his 3rd cruise (all Carnival) on the Carnival Freedom the week after that. I have been on both Freedom and Glory and recommended both to them when they were doing their research. Actually, to date, Freedom and Glory are my 2 favorite Carnival ships. We're all back now and I'm wishing we had sailed Carnival instead of Princess. They all had a great time. While we had a good time on Princess...it ranked last of all of our cruises and it definately wasn't great. I am trying to get over my cruise envy :o....but it's hard when they keep stopping in my office and telling me what a great time they had. Neither of these guys mentioned anything about poor passenger behavior and they cruised over spring break.....quite honestly I've never witnessed it either on any of our 6 Carnival Cruises. Cheapness is a matter of opinion. To each his own.

While you reference the 481 responses about NCL basically being nothing special, there are reviews (including my own) that would beg to differ. My comment was only to point out that you don't always have to pay to get these special, unique moments, as someone else had suggested.

I understand your point of view, but looking at your cruise history, you have not sailed on many of the -- for want of a better term -- more premium mass market or luxury lines. While it's certainly fair for you to say the service you received on NCL was good, you can't make a valid comparison with lines you haven't sailed on.

I find it a little amusing that folks who like NCL and Carnival will constantly challenge others who won't sail those lines based on "reputation", but will make assumptions about other lines also based on "reputation".

In 20 years there will be fewer ships and a majority of those will be "mega" ships. There will be a few niche players still there. Cruise ships in general will probably go to up charging for more and more services to bring more cruisers on board (watch for more pay for access eateries and spaces) and more exclusive conclaves within the ships for passengers willing to pay the price. I also don't think river cruises will be able to sustain its growth and predict that there will be few of those left. The top 6 cruise companies in 2034 IMO:

1. RCCL

2. Disney

3. Virgin

4. Celebrity

5. NCL

6. Carnival

Again, I notice you haven't sailed on a couple of pretty major mass market lines (Princess, HAL) and you don't include them in your list. How can you make a justification for not including them?

Also, I believe there will always be a market for niche cruisers. Some of us will stop cruising altogether if the only choices out there are the behemoth ships. If the mainline cruises won't accommodate us (e.g., if Princess or HAL sell their smaller ships), then some of us will certainly move to smaller companies and/or pay more for them. In other words: there's a market -- why wouldn't someone go after it?

(I have sailed with every major cruiseline except Carnival -- two of which are now defunct -- and also with two specialty cruiselines.)

Oh trust me, I don't put the time, money, and effort into cruising to have experiences "too much like the same thing we can have at home". Cruising, for me, is a fantastic opportunity to relax, enjoy beautiful scenery, make new friends, try new foods, and the list goes on and on. I absolutely love that cruising literally and figuratively takes me to a place far away from home. Cruising is a special experience, whether I'm in an interior on a quick trip to the Bahamas or splurging with a higher category on a newer ship. It can be the oldest in the fleet or the newest, and it all brings something special. While you reference the 481 responses about NCL basically being nothing special, there are reviews (including my own) that would beg to differ. My comment was only to point out that you don't always have to pay to get these special, unique moments, as someone else had suggested.

I understand your point of view, but looking at your cruise history, you have not sailed on many of the -- for want of a better term -- more premium mass market or luxury lines. While it's certainly fair for you to say the service you received on NCL was good, you can't make a valid comparison with lines you haven't sailed on.

I find it a little amusing that folks who like NCL and Carnival will constantly challenge others who won't sail those lines based on "reputation", but will make assumptions about other lines also based on "reputation".

I don't see where Meggie is comparing NCL to the other lines or is making negative assumptions about the other lines. She is just responding to those who say you can't get those "special moments" on NCL because they can't seem to get them on those "non-premium" lines. Some people can have those "special moments" on NCL and CCL because their "special moments" are different than your "special moments". I have had "special moments" on all of my cruises from CCL to DCL. I know where she is coming from. She's not knocking the other lines she is just stating her reality on NCL includes those "special moments" and she doesn't need to pay a higher cost to sail a more "premium" line to get them like some others need to do.

I don't see where Meggie is comparing NCL to the other lines or is making negative assumptions about the other lines. She is just responding to those who say you can't get those "special moments" on NCL because they can't seem to get them on those "non-premium" lines. Some people can have those "special moments" on NCL and CCL because their "special moments" are different than your "special moments". I have had "special moments" on all of my cruises from CCL to DCL. I know where she is coming from. She's not knocking the other lines she is just stating her reality on NCL includes those "special moments" and she doesn't need to pay a higher cost to sail a more "premium" line to get them like some others need to do.

My mistake, I meant to quote her earlier post, which does in fact suggest a comparison that can't be supported by her own experience:

I'd have to disagree with you there. We received top-notch service on our last cruise, which happened to be NCL. We received a great price, had an aft-facing balcony, and could not have possibly received better service. Although I know that this isn't everyone's experience and YMMV, we laughed at the thought of paying for a room which would offer a butler as we felt that we were waited on hand and foot everywhere we went. Not to get in an outright disagreement with you, but just wanted to point out that money doesn't always buy good service, and sometimes excellent service is given without having to pay that extra. ;)

Yes, exactly what I was trying to say. I would never try to come across as a cruising pro, and haven't gone on a fraction of the itineraries that I hope to cruise someday. The last person pointed out that I haven't been on the "premium" lines, but I don't care to. It's not what I'm looking for. But please don't think that I can't have a valid opinion about what a great cruiseline is because I haven't sailed on your "premium lines".

Happy sailing. :)

My mistake, I meant to quote her earlier post, which does in fact suggest a comparison that can't be supported by her own experience:

Probably a poor choice of words. I actually meant that I couldn't imagine better service. Not saying it's not out there, just that I can't imagine it being better than what I received.

And some of us are saying that on the lines we now avoid, those "special moments" were few and far between, if there were any at all. For instance, my lone Carnival cruise would only have had "special moments" if I was willing to lower my standards for what qualified as special to me. Hairy chest or belly flop contests do not qualify. Nor does a higher than tolerable number of loud, obnoxious people. Nor does decor that reminded me of a cheap Las Vegas hotel. Nor does average quality food.

A cruise line needs to impress me in a positive way to give me those "special moments". From experience, Carnival didn't do that. And from what I have seen in promotional materials and what I have read from passengers, neither would NCL. It's what people consider as "special" about NCL that make me want to avoid that line.

We will no longer sail mass market lines or any ship larger than maybe 500 or so passengers. The only exception would be DCL if we were cruising with children. We prefer the relaxed elegance and personalized attention of the small ships.

Again, I notice you haven't sailed on a couple of pretty major mass market lines (Princess, HAL) and you don't include them in your list. How can you make a justification for not including them?

Also, I believe there will always be a market for niche cruisers. Some of us will stop cruising altogether if the only choices out there are the behemoth ships. If the mainline cruises won't accommodate us (e.g., if Princess or HAL sell their smaller ships), then some of us will certainly move to smaller companies and/or pay more for them. In other words: there's a market -- why wouldn't someone go after it?

(I have sailed with every major cruiseline except Carnival -- two of which are now defunct -- and also with two specialty cruiselines.)

I made a list of the TOP six cruise lines in 20 years, when I say top six I meant size of fleet, revenue, name recognition. That's why I left them off the list. If you ask today's American middle age or younger to name all the cruise companies they know (who have yet to cruise), Princess, HAL, Costa, P & O and lots of other companies won't be mentioned.

I think you reinforced what I said by the fact that there will be more niche markets in the future. Look at all the new builds going on right now, how many will accommodate 3K+ pax? I don't think the industry is going to be building that many smaller ships and in 20 years the current fleet of smaller ships will be outdated and not worth the cost to dry dock. Also the "us" that you speak of are probably in the 50-60's right now so in 20 years you'll be in the 70-80's and not be the target demo of most companies.

I think you reinforced what I said by the fact that there will be more niche markets in the future. Look at all the new builds going on right now, how many will accommodate 3K+ pax? I don't think the industry is going to be building that many smaller ships and in 20 years the current fleet of smaller ships will be outdated and not worth the cost to dry dock. Also the "us" that you speak of are probably in the 50-60's right now so in 20 years you'll be in the 70-80's and not be the target demo of most companies.

I agree to a point. I think that there will be mostly large (3000+) and small (>600) ships built in the future. There is a growing demographic who prefers the small ships, and that number gets larger every year.

I made a list of the TOP six cruise lines in 20 years, when I say top six I meant size of fleet, revenue, name recognition. That's why I left them off the list. If you ask today's American middle age or younger to name all the cruise companies they know (who have yet to cruise), Princess, HAL, Costa, P & O and lots of other companies won't be mentioned.

Although I'm at the very bottom end (51!) of the demographic you mention, I've been cruising long enough to know that quite a few cruisers "progress" through various lines starting with the more value-priced ones and moving up or on to other lines that offer things that appeal more as they get older.

Don't forget that the average age of cruisers is not low. (I'm sure the cruiselines don't.) And retirees are usually the ones with both disposable income and time enough to cruise often and longer.

My current favorite ship carries 300-some passengers and has been around in various incarnations since the 1970s. There are a number of smaller ships in various fleets that are much younger than that -- and if there's a demand, they can be refurbished and keep sailing for years. ;)

And some of us are saying that on the lines we now avoid, those "special moments" were few and far between, if there were any at all. For instance, my lone Carnival cruise would only have had "special moments" if I was willing to lower my standards for what qualified as special to me. Hairy chest or belly flop contests do not qualify. Nor does a higher than tolerable number of loud, obnoxious people. Nor does decor that reminded me of a cheap Las Vegas hotel. Nor does average quality food.

A cruise line needs to impress me in a positive way to give me those "special moments". From experience, Carnival didn't do that. And from what I have seen in promotional materials and what I have read from passengers, neither would NCL. It's what people consider as "special" about NCL that make me want to avoid that line.

I get what your saying. Don't get me wrong. Your "special moments" are defined by you as mine are defined by me. I've had "special moments" on CCL, NCL, DCL, and even on our Princess cruise which I wasn't all that impressed with. I struggle with your assumptions that "special moments" can't happen on NCL or CCL because of your own perceptions of what a "special moment" entails or that people have to have lower standards than you to enjoy these ships (which you have implied numerous times) based on your one CCL experience and hearsay about NCL. They may not be able to happen for you on those lines, but the many, many people who do enjoy CCL and NCL wouldn't hestitate to say that they can happen for them....and no we are not all cheap, loud, and obnoxious drunks hanging out at the hairy chest contest as you keep implying.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I get what your saying. Don't get me wrong. Your "special moments" are defined by you as mine are defined by me. I've had "special moments" on CCL, NCL, DCL, and even on our Princess cruise which I wasn't all that impressed with. I struggle with your assumptions that "special moments" can't happen on NCL or CCL because of your own perceptions of what a "special moment" entails or that people have to have lower standards than you to enjoy these ships

Everyone has their own standards that dictate what they do or do not like. That something doesn't meet my standards doesn't mean it meets no one's standards. Some things I like, others will not - and vice a versa. I meant no disrespect with the "standards" comment. I only meant MY PERSONAL standards. I like Pepsi, you may like Coke. Neither makes one of us better than the other. Just that we prefer different things. You should like whatever you like. And I will continue to not like what I don't like.

(which you have implied numerous times) based on your one CCL experience and hearsay about NCL. They may not be able to happen for you on those lines, but the many, many people who do enjoy CCL and NCL wouldn't hestitate to say that they can happen for them....and no we are not all cheap, loud, and obnoxious drunks hanging out at the hairy chest contest as you keep implying.

Yes, I am smart enough to know you are not all like that. But, like anyone else, I have a certain level of tolerance for some types of people. In the case being discussed, it is loud and obnoxious people, who on my Carnival cruise, was much too high a percentage of the passengers for my liking. Why would I in my right mind subject myself to that situation again?

Edited by fortinweb