Buying Cigarettes on the ship -- please help

FlaGrl4Evr

you can take them with you when you buy them!! I know they have a limited selection on them!! We smoke Marlboro's and American Spirit and they have always had them!! They limit you to bring only one carton back. We have always bought two cartons of each on the first day and when its time to debark you only technically have one carton plus a few extra packs. LOL.

I've had a dry streak with being able to actually take the cigarettes with me. On Carnival and Princess. Was so used to being able to do it in Carnival that I actually got into an argument with the guy, not something I would normally do. lol.

So, it depends. If you buy them the last day of the cruise, you WILL get to take them with you. Otherwise, you may not. Bars sell packs but a pretty limited selection.

We have always purchased the "suitcase" (5 cartons), and we have never had a problem with taking them back to our cabin. We smoke Marlboro's and they have always had a good selection, but other brands are hit and miss.

Thank you to everyone for the help. They are for my hubby and he smokes the Marlboro Lights in the gold pack. I am hoping that they carry his brand. The 5 pk suitcase deal sounds really good. I appreciate the heads-up on that as well; we will be sure to ask about it. :)

Is the one carton limit something new? I sailed last November and purchased four cartons - with no problem taking off the three (plus) cartons at debark. I think I even recall being told at the time of purchase that multiple cartons were no problem. Has this changed? I'm sailing the Conquest again in November and was counting on purchasing a few cartons.

The one carton limit is a customs regulation. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. The ship will sell you as much as you want to buy. They are just notifying you that customs only allows one carton per passenger over 18 to be re-imported into the USA. Customs rules do not allow for payment of duty for overage, any extra is subject to confiscation.

These are the rules as written in the CBP "Know Before You Go" publication (see page 19). Usually customs doesn't bother people but it is always a possibility.

The one carton limit is a customs regulation. It has been that way for as long as I can remember. The ship will sell you as much as you want to buy. They are just notifying you that customs only allows one carton per passenger over 18 to be re-imported into the USA. Customs rules do not allow for payment of duty for overage, any extra is subject to confiscation.

These are the rules as written in the CBP "Know Before You Go" publication (see page 19). Usually customs doesn't bother people but it is always a possibility.

That makes sense. They apparently were selling what they could, and then saying that it usually is no problem. Thanx so much for you clear and definitive response.

That makes sense. They apparently were selling what they could, and then saying that it usually is no problem. Thanx so much for you clear and definitive response.

Exactly.. they will sell you how ever many cartons you want on the ship.. but it is going thru customs that is the issue ... if you buy a few more than you should .. take them outta the carton and leave them loose.. they are more likely to let that slide thru xray then seeing boxes ;)

Exactly.. they will sell you how ever many cartons you want on the ship.. but it is going thru customs that is the issue ... if you buy a few more than you should .. take them outta the carton and leave them loose.. they are more likely to let that slide thru xray then seeing boxes ;)

X-rays disembarking??? :eek:

Really??

Don't recall that.

they are more likely to let that slide thru xray then seeing boxes ;)

Hello, they use dogs not x-ray on debarkation.

If you go to any US Virgin Island you are allowed to bring 5 cartons per person back to the USA.

If your going to St Thomas they have a great tobacco shop (blue building) right in the port area. Five cartons for $99. Just make sure you keep your receipt.

Hmmm.....

How about re-entering Long Beach or San Pedro?

Never saw a dog, (not that there weren't dogs) nor did I ever have my bags x-rayed.

Just showed customs my declaration, confirmed what I had.

He gave me a quick look up and down and said "Welcome back, have a nice day"

Perhaps I'm missing something.

I have two brothers that have purchased cigarettes on board, and were always able to take them back to the cabin after they purchased, except on a Princess ship; which is kind of strange since they're owned by Carnival.

As everyone has already mentioned, it's hit and miss for taking off extras. I always carry a carton through customs for one brother or the other. One brother wanted to take off three cartons one time in Tampa, so he went early to pay the duty; and they just told him to forget about it. I have heard that others have had them confiscated in other ports. I'm afraid to risk it, so we pretty much stick to the one carton per adult allowance, no matter what the store employees tell us.

Come to think of it, my argument was on Princess. lol.

When you think about it, it makes sense, given the Star Princess incident. After reading the entire report about that, I would never, ever, ever smoke on my balcony ever again. It'll really bug you out when you realize how something so insignificant caused such a huge fire on the OUTSIDE of the ship.

Archived