5K run on Castaway Cay

Squaretop

I heard there was a 5K run every morning on Castaway Cay. Is this accurate and what are the particulars.

I don't know that it's every morning. You'll find it listed in your Navigator as to time and where to meet up.

There is an age limit, I believe, but anyone can do it. And you don't have to run. There's no awards or anything, it's just a thing to do.

:)

Apparently recently they give you a bib, a medal (plastic) at the end, and there's a brand new "Castaway Cay 5K" t-shirt available for purchase on the island. Really cute, too!

Here's a link to a very informative blog that talks about running one on one of the Fantasy preview cruises: http://www.runningwithsass.com/castaway-cay-5k-take-two/

All the info for the 5K will be in the Navigator for the day you are in Castaway Cay.

Basic info - You'll meet at a designated place between 9:15 and 9:45 AM. You sign up (name and stateroom number) and get your bib. The activity director will take the group off the ship and to the tram. You'll ride as a group to the Pelican Point Tram Stop. The 5K starts there. There is a timing clock but they don't really count places or give age group awards. They'll have water at about the halfway point and there are signs and a Disney employee out on the course to help direct you. The run is an out-and-back. You start near the bike rental shop, then head out across the runway, then through the loop that goes out to the observation tower, then out to the end of the runway at the Serenity Bay Tram Stop, then you come back. They give a finisher medal that says "Winner" on it to all. After finishing you can either jog back or take the tram to the ship to grab a shower. Then you can enjoy the day on the island.

thanks for the responses. I'm slowly gearing up to run the Chicago marathon in Oct. and I plan on running on board ship, but it would be nice to run on the island. I'm going on the Dream June 29th

We will be on the June 29th sailing also. Bravo on your marathon ambitions! I hope they'll allow myself with my 13 year old son to run--he's a cross country runner and I'd like him to get to run with me. (Ahead of me!)

I was on the April 10-15 that stops at CC twice - I ran the 5K on the first stop - We met up at 687 (One of the lounges in "The District") at 8:30am and then walked to the Pelican Pt tram stop where the time clock is located and took off from there. The course was pretty easy to follow - there is alot of water on the course and you get the aforementioned bib and medal - they also delivered a "magical moments" certificate to our stateroom. The Navigator states that runners should be 12 or older - I saw a dad and his daughter running hand in hand - very cute! They held it on the second stop at CC as well but I chose to just get off the ship and run 6 miles - very easy to do on the island.

• 2 weeks later...
We will be on the June 29th sailing also. Bravo on your marathon ambitions! I hope they'll allow myself with my 13 year old son to run--he's a cross country runner and I'd like him to get to run with me. (Ahead of me!)

I remember my days as a cross country runner. Back in the day I could have broken 16 min in the 5k. Now, I hope to break 30 min. LOL. As for my marathon running(this will be my sixth in the last seven years) that's just a middle aged man trying to be young. I have an artificial hip to boot. It's just to say I did it. If you see a guy with neoprene reinforcement from knee to ankle, that's me. Oddly, my hip is the best part of me. I have more problems with strained calf muscles than anything else. See you out there.

• 8 months later...
Hey, yes, old thread. Anyone know if they still do this? And are there really no 'winners'?

AFAIK, yes. I think it's posted in the Navigator if they are going to have it. They used to give everyone a Competitor's medal, but I'm not sure they still do. I think all you get is a certificate in your room. Sometimes people have had to ask for them.

My family & I participated back in July on a "Double Dip" cruise, and they offered it each of the days we were on Castaway Cay. You do get a bib, but it's just for show, no official time records were kept, though there is a clock for your own reference. Everyone was given a plastic medal at the finish line--my 9 year old stayed at the finish line with the CM and helped hand them out as the rest of the family ran. We then were given the opportunity then to purchase a Castaway Cay 5K t-shirt there on the island, a bit pricey at $24.95, but I proudly finished that race, and had to have the proof to take back home. I get asked about it every time I wear it. All the details on time & where to meet were in the Navigator.

• 2 weeks later...

Just off the Fantasy last week and ran the Castaway Cay 5K and it is pretty much the same as most people described it above. We met in the Tube to get our bibs, then walked out to the start line as a group. We received plastic "medals" at the finish line. They had t-shirts for sale ($22 per) at the shop right next to the start/finish line. There were 77 participants for our run but the Crew Member in charge of the race stated they average roughly 150 people. In case anyone is curious, the record is just over 14 minutes. It was a great time had by all with all levels of runners/walkers participating.

One note: it is now listed as a runDisney event in the Navigator. We were told they are working out the final details and may make it an official event that they will charge a small fee for but you would get a real medal, shirt, etc., all that comes with other runDisney events. They weren't able to provide a timeline on when this might happen.

Just off the Fantasy last week and ran the Castaway Cay 5K and it is pretty much the same as most people described it above. We met in the Tube to get our bibs, then walked out to the start line as a group. We received plastic "medals" at the finish line. They had t-shirts for sale ($22 per) at the shop right next to the start/finish line. There were 77 participants for our run but the Crew Member in charge of the race stated they average roughly 150 people. In case anyone is curious, the record is just over 14 minutes. It was a great time had by all with all levels of runners/walkers participating.

One note: it is now listed as a runDisney event in the Navigator. We were told they are working out the final details and may make it an official event that they will charge a small fee for but you would get a real medal, shirt, etc., all that comes with other runDisney events. They weren't able to provide a timeline on when this might happen.

So it will no longer be available as a free event? That's a shame.

I ran this last February (2012) and can confirm what the other posters here have said (non-competitive, low-key event; meet early at one of the pubs and then a relatively long walk to the starting line). I didn't see anyone mention what turned out to be a major advantage for my family: you get a very early start on Castaway Cay, which is great. Pelican Plunge without the lines. And my family came strictly as "fans" and not participants.

Man I run the events at Disney world in Orlando. I ran the marathon early this month and I'm running the next one in feb. signed up for the Everest race for the first time. Pretty excited to try that one. I would love to do one during the cruise. And it being a 5k it would be fun and short. Wouldn't lose too much day

Archived