Visiting ruins both days

edmasbetsy

I posted this on the Belize board, but perhaps it should be on this board. We are sailing on Ind of Seas, RC in March. We are interested in visiting ruins. Belize is our first stop, the next day Costa Maya. It it overkill to visit ruins both days? Was thinking about taking the Lamanai/New River in Belize, but wasnt sure about the Costa Maya ruins? Any suggestions. We are both in good physical shape.

I posted this on the Belize board, but perhaps it should be on this board. We are sailing on Ind of Seas, RC in March. We are interested in visiting ruins. Belize is our first stop, the next day Costa Maya. It it overkill to visit ruins both days? Was thinking about taking the Lamanai/New River in Belize, but wasnt sure about the Costa Maya ruins? Any suggestions. We are both in good physical shape.

In Costa Maya, there are three main ruins: Chacchoben, Kohunlich, and Dzibanche.

Chacchoben is about 50 minutes away from the port, and the tour typically lasts 4 hours. Kohunlich and Dzibanche are each about 2 hours from the port, but only 20ish minutes from each other. You can see either one or find a combination tour if you are in port long enough.

If you are planning on seeing Chacchoben (along with Lamanai in Belize), I would say you have no problem. It is only a half-day tour and there is not too much walking. Enjoy the ruins in Costa Maya and then sit by the beach, explore the village of Mahahual, or return to the ship and relax for the rest of the day.

I haven't been to Kohunlich or Dzibanche, but I would imagine that if you are in good shape it still shouldn't be a problem seeing both days of ruins.

On a side note, since you will be seeing Lamanai first, Chacchoben might be a little let down. While they are intriguing and have a lot of history, they are not fully excavated and not anywhere near the size of Lamanai's big temples.

Archived