Norovirus on 2/16/14 Explorer

Calois1016

Hello all,

This may be long so here is your warning!

I am new to Cruise Critic and I have been reading some of the threads before cruising on 2/16/2014. My fiance and I cruised out of Bayonne, NJ on the Explorer of the Seas. This was a 7 day cruise going to Florida and the Bahamas. Here is my story:

Knowing that this cruise was infected with Noro about 3 weeks ago made us hesitant; but this was the only time we could both go away until the summer. Everything was great until Wednesday, February 19th when we docked in Nassau, Bahamas. My fiance and I headed to Senor Frogs and had some lunch. We decided to head back to the boat to go in the pool and take the sun. Everything was going great until we dried off from the hot tub and pool. I witnessed a boy who vomited right near the pool floor. I then realized he was in the hot tub with us along with the pool. My first instinct - GREAT! He has to have the Noro.

We go back to our room an hour later and shower. I lay in the bed and I tell my fiance that I wasnt feeling too well. Before you know it, it was all downhill from there. I don't want to go into detail, but yes; I knew I had the Norovirus. This happned about 6:30pm but it got so bad that I just had to go to the nurse around 9:00pm. All said and done, I was isolated in my room for 24 hours. That brings us to 11:00pm Thursday night when the nurse cleared me. We did not get out of our rooms until Friday at 2:30pm because nobody came to clean the room or bring us new towels. We needed to shower before going out into the public.

All said and done, we missed half of Nassau and all of CocoCay. I say WE even though my fiance was fine. Let's be real, he was taking care of me all of those hours and did not want to leave my side no matter how sick I was. He DID have the freedom to explore (no pun intended) the ship and go to the ports of call...but he didnt.

HERE IS MY PROBLEM:

Overall, WE missed half of Nassau, ALL of CocoCay, HALF of Friday,TWO dinners and TWO days of our drink package. RCCL sent me a letter stating I would be getting back a future cruise credit for one day of my cruise.

I pick up the phone today to call and show how upset I was. I feel as if I should be held to the same account as everyone else was three weeks ago. The man on the phone said I will be getting back ONE day credit out of the seven. I am sorry, but it was almost 48 hours I was stuck in my stateroom AND I MISSED A PRIVATE ISLAND. It wasnt like I missed a day at sea!! I missed paradise! I should be compensated MUCH MORE then about $120...let alone they don't even want to hear about my fiance. At this point, I don't want to cruise with them ever again.

Don't get me wrong, all the other days were nice and our wait staff was EXCELLENT. I just don't think its fair that I should be getting back $120 vs. 50% off my cruise and 50% off a future cruise. I know their cruise was cut short and it effected 600+ people; BUT I FELT THE SAME WAY! It absolutely ruined my (OUR) vacation. I should be held to the same standards.

P.S. I was not the only one who came down with it on this cruise. The nurse said there was a bunch of people who went in the day before and the day I was there.

Cleanest ship out there right now? I think NOT.

Sorry everyone. Like I said, I am NEW to this. I did not know I can't delete a post.

That's ok. To be fair, I should warn you that quite often it is very easy for this community to see a complaint post as a "troll" when it is a first post. However, the fact that you have come back to discuss it will alleviate a good part of that.

Expect to see answers you will not like in this thread. I am not being mean, just truthful. That being said, if you will continue to take part in as cheerful a manner as possible, we might manage to help you come away with a more positive view of things.

Absolutely stinks to be sick on a cruise. Don't blame you for that frustration at all!

Maybe you should read the thread before posting.....:rolleyes:

Um, I did. No one actually responded to her, just made comments about popcorn and how many threads she's started...............

OP, what is a "bunch" of people? (per what the nurse said). No one else has posted about any issues with Noro on this cruise. Cruiserking did a live report from the same cruise and didn't report anything about noro that I saw.

The reason the highly infected EX cruise got as much as they did was because their cruise was interrupted, ports were missed and they returned early. What you received is pretty standard for someone who catches noro and pretty good considering they don't have to give anything to anyone who gets sick.

I also do no see where OP was "attacked". The comments weren't directed at her, but about the responses she would probably get.

Edited by BND

That's ok. To be fair, I should warn you that quite often it is very easy for this community to see a complaint post as a "troll" when it is a first post. However, the fact that you have come back to discuss it will alleviate a good part of that.

Expect to see answers you will not like in this thread. I am not being mean, just truthful. That being said, if you will continue to take part in as cheerful a manner as possible, we might manage to help you come away with a more positive view of things.

Absolutely stinks to be sick on a cruise. Don't blame you for that frustration at all!

Thank you! I do have to admit, I did feel like I was being attacked by some. It is understandable. I should have done some research before posting. I just needed to vent!!

Thank you! I do have to admit, I did feel like I was being attacked by some. It is understandable. I should have done some research before posting. I just needed to vent!!

All ok! Like I said, you're involved on the thread so that makes a world of difference.

Did you file a Trip Interruption claim with you travel insurance provider?

That's a sharp tip there. Very good idea!

Yes, it sucks to be sick on a ship (see my earlier post about my experience with noro a few weeks earlier), but if you were staying in a hotel, would you expect them to give you a free night? You say you missed half of Nassau, but you also said that you had already returned to the ship before you got sick. Your fiancé (hold on tight to him, btw...if he could stay by your side during noro, he's a good catch!), was free to roam the ship but by choice stayed with you -- his choice. And there was really no need to wait until 2:30 to get towels...there are always cabin stewards in the halls who would have been glad to get towels if your fiancé went out and requested some (or you could call from stateroom phone). Don't know what the policy is on cleaning -- I had asked our steward to stay away so that he wouldn't be exposed.

Keep in mind that noro has about a 24-hour or longer incubation period. You didn't get it from that boy in the hot tub...

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hi, I am sorry to hear you were sick, but I have to agree with another reply that the other cruise was cut short and a very different situation. I think you are letting yourself get overly worked up about it. While it is fair enough to ring and question your idea of what should have been given in credit, the cruise line has given a credit which is better than I have had on land when I have been sick.

I just got an email yesterday from a hotel chain thanking me for my stay months ago and sending adverts about all their other locations. No mention of my changing rooms to a smaller one due to an issue that was theirs and I got no credit at all. I let it go as there is enough stress in our lives and we need to enjoy our times. That holiday was more important for the good times I had with family.

I believe that getting sick is one if the risks of any travel. We seem to pick up different things that really spoil our much anticipated break from the everyday slog. When we get sick at home it doesn't seem quite as horrible.

Edited by kjsmith63

My husband and I got very sick after eating at Senor Frogs.

I was thinking the same thing, last time hubby and I ate at Senor Frogs, he got sick within an hour of leaving there. We were on a land vacation in Playa Del Carmen. He was in bed for two days. I love him dearly, but I didn't stay in our room the whole time he was sick. I continued to enjoy my vacation;)