Viking Emerald

mommas

• 4 weeks later...

Hello! Anyone out there been on the new Viking Emerald boat yet? We leave the end of August for the Imperial Jewels of China. Starting to get excited about the trip! We were just wondering if anyone had been on the boat and how the trip was to China?

Kay

Hello! Anyone out there been on the new Viking Emerald boat yet? We leave the end of August for the Imperial Jewels of China. Starting to get excited about the trip! We were just wondering if anyone had been on the boat and how the trip was to China?

Kay

You should go over to the "Viking China" thread on this same board. Click on the most recent posts. Folks who have been on the Emerald this season have been posting (some "live" from China). We head over in a few weeks; I hope you have a great trip!

• 3 months later...

Just returned yesterday from our 12 day tour of China and what an experience!!!

Viking is a class act river/tour group! The tour guide is an educated and patient wonder. Their selections for places to go (LARGE country) and hotels to stay in were top notch!

China is a hard working and proud country and will capitalize on it! The great wall all the way to the terra cotta soldiers were nothing that the imagination can fabricate! I merely touched on 2 sites but there are "many" more on this tour, too many because I could fill 3 pages!

Be aware.......July was a hot and "HUMID" area. I do not mean a little humid but horribly humid. You were soaked throughout an entire day so wear very light cotton material and plan on drinking lots of water. Some folks were ill and bodies cramped up because of loss of bodily salts. The tours and ship never deprived you of water! Great trip otherwise!:)

so far I've seen folks from Fredericksburg, Va, Texas, and California, on roll call.

We're from north Florida, home of the beautiful Suwannee River, via Indiana, IU, and Kentucky, U Ky. We are traveling with seasoned Viking Cruisers, who are original Florida crackers, and they are meeting friends from other Viking Cruises in Europe.

We're excited, it looks like we have picked a good cuise line. Just hoping for good weather.

Sheila and Danny

Hopefully someone will come through with information. We may be on the same trip - we leave Chicago on the 29th. There is a very positive review on the Viking website. I have some questions the office can't answer - little ones, like is there a place to string a clothesline in the cabin? Other silly questions also.

Hopefully someone will come through with information. We may be on the same trip - we leave Chicago on the 29th. There is a very positive review on the Viking website. I have some questions the office can't answer - little ones, like is there a place to string a clothesline in the cabin? Other silly questions also.

If you are looking for current info, and/or want to ask questions, you will do best on the "Viking China" thread in this same forum. It is read by folks who have recently traveled with Viking in China who will help you if they (we) can.

You can always string a clothesline anywhere if you have the suction cups. (In the shower, for example. There's no tub.) But the better question is: will anything dry in your cabin? Not quickly -- it's pretty humid along the river! :)

Since you said you are looking for more info, I really would encourage you to ask your questions on the other thread.

Paperdoll78,

Just to clarify...we don't leave until you do... The Emerald has a laundry service that appears reasonable. We will probably use it while we can. I asked my agent this question and she responded:

"Many hotels have a line that runs wall to wall in the bathtub... but can't say if yours will. And yes suggest the services vessel & hotel offer.."

Dave

Hi!

Thought some of you on the August 29/30 tour might like to know that there's a Roll Call for our trip. Under "All River Cruise Roll Calls" scroll down for "Viking" Imperial Jewels of China - August 30, 2011. (We fly out of DC via Chicago on Monday, August 29 and arrive in Shanghai on Tuesday, August 30. Sorry for the confusion with the August 30 date. The official tour start date does show August 29.)

Fran and Dick Larkins

Question about carry on. Is it one carry-on and a purse or really just one item?

If you mean on the intra China flights (but not including flights to Hong Kong), it's the former -- a carryon and a personal item. And while the rules say one carryon limited to 11 pounds, in practice this is not enforced, either in terms of number or weight. But our guide cautioned us that if the security folks were in a bad mood, they could enforce these rules. And he said they were enforced on flights to Hong Kong.

If you mean on the intra China flights (but not including flights to Hong Kong), it's the former -- a carryon and a personal item. And while the rules say one carryon limited to 11 pounds, in practice this is not enforced, either in terms of number or weight. But our guide cautioned us that if the security folks were in a bad mood, they could enforce these rules. And he said they were enforced on flights to Hong Kong.

Hi there,

My husband and I are very concern about weight limitations for checked bags 44 pounds, and 11 pounds for carry-on(s). Can we bring a canvas bag along with our carry-on for souvenirs??? We leave for China on Sunday, August 21 (1day early, our tour really starts August 23rd) Also, are there any restaurants nearby the Ritz-Carlton Financial Street??:)

Hi there,

My husband and I are very concern about weight limitations for checked bags 44 pounds, and 11 pounds for carry-on(s). Can we bring a canvas bag along with our carry-on for souvenirs??? We leave for China on Sunday, August 21 (1day early, our tour really starts August 23rd) Also, are there any restaurants nearby the Ritz-Carlton Financial Street??:)

As I noted above, unless you will be going on to Hong Kong, don't worry too much about these things. I'm not saying you should have a 60 lb checked bag, but if it's a bit over the 44, it shouldn't be a problem. Viking checks all the bags together as a group. And as I said, no one was weighing carryons or counting how many you have. They can, but they weren't doing it.

There is apparently a very good restaurant in the Ritz-Carlton (we did not eat there), as well as a TGI Friday's right behind it if you are looking for something easy and simple (and not Chinese) when you get in. Frankly, though, if you are interested in really good Chinese food (including Peking Duck), you may want to take a taxi to Da Dong or Made in China or other (deservedly) well known places to eat.

The folks at the concierge desk at the Ritz-Carlton were very helpful. Feel free to ask them for recommendations. You can even email them in advance.

If you take a taxi anywhere, be sure you have a "taxi card" from the hotel with the hotel's name and address in written in Mandarin. Same for wherever else you may go. The drivers do not speak English.

Have a great trip!

For Turtles06::)

In an earlier posting, I think it was you that mentioned that Ritz-Carlton Financial charges a fee if you use your laptop in your hotel room, but it was free in the hotel lobby?! I'm assuming that you did take your laptop, if you did, were you able to use it without any connection problems throughout the tour??? Does the Kempinski and the Westin Bund charge a fee??? I like to feel that I can still communicate with my family and friends while being in another country... So I guess what I'm asking, is taking our laptop to China worth it:confused:.

Best regards,

For Turtles06::)

In an earlier posting, I think it was you that mentioned that Ritz-Carlton Financial charges a fee if you use your laptop in your hotel room, but it was free in the hotel lobby?! I'm assuming that you did take your laptop, if you did, were you able to use it without any connection problems throughout the tour??? Does the Kempinski and the Westin Bund charge a fee??? I like to feel that I can still communicate with my family and friends while being in another country... So I guess what I'm asking, is taking our laptop to China worth it:confused:.

Best regards,

Yes, wi-fi was free in the Ritz-Carlton lobby, but there was a charge to access the internet in your room. (I hate that nickel and diming by luxury hotels.) The first day, folks with smartphones had a little trouble connecting in the lobby, but the hotel staff called in the reinforcements immediately and got everything working.

This is a sort of "how many people does it take to change a lightbulb" photo, but in fact, these guys solved the connection issues quickly:

Fixingwi-fiatRitz-Carlton_01.jpg

We had so little time in the Kempinski, I can't recall if we even booted up our computer or whether there was a charge (probably). In terms of the Westin Bund, I think there may have been free internet access in the rooms, but I am not positive. I do know that we did not pay for any access and I suspect we didn't go two nights without getting on line, but I could be wrong.

There is no wi-fi on the Emerald as you probably have read....

I guess only you can decide whether taking a laptop is worth it to you. We have a netbook, which is not a lot to carry. And I use it when traveling to upload my photos, which gives me a backup in case anything happens to a memory card.

(photo by turtles06)

Hi Willsot from Wisconsin! I just got back from your beautiful state (have lighthouse pics if you're interested). Anyway, I was wondering if you're on the Oct. 8 (or maybe it's 9th) Imperial Jewels trip. My husband and I are on that - can't wait.

Ruth & Howard from the DC area

• 2 weeks later...

Kay

My husband and I are leaving Monday, Aug 29, for the Imperial Jewels of China river cruise. We have never taken a river cruise and are anxious to see how it compares to ocean cruising. If that is the date you are leaving for China, we will probably see you on the ship.

Nellerose -

We're on the Viking Imperial Jewels Shanghai to Beijing too. We'll be leaving DC on Monday - are anxiously waiting for Hurricane Irene to make her way past us. Lots of rain and wind right now. May not be able to reply further if we lose power, but you might like to see who else is with us - Under All River Cruise Roll Calls, scroll way down for "Viking Emerald August 29th Roll Call" and "Viking Imperial Jewels of China August 30, 2011." (Yes, we wound up with 2 roll calls:)) Also, if you haven't seen it, the thread "Viking China" under this heading is a 5 year old thread with lots of info.

See you on the Emerald -

Fran and Dick

Archived