Norwegian compared to RCI

Jeff&Mel

Hi all- I am looking for some insight.

We have cruised 3 times- 2 on Costa and once on RCI.

Costa was priced very low :) and we truly enjoyed the cruises- no complaints except the cigarette smoke. Another issue was the kids club- not a complaint but Costa is an Italian line and the kids club wasn't so great for our son.

So we tried RCI this year and our DS age 11 absolutely loved the kids program! It was great for him- However, RCI is sooo expensive! The cruise cost more than other lines and the onboard prices for beverages is very high. We do like to cruise and would like to try a line that is more reasonably priced.

So this brings me to my questions-

For those of you that have cruised both Norwegian and RCI can you give me the pros and cons of each line?

How are the onboard prices for Norwegian?

How is the kids program?

TIA :)

Read my posts on the Breakaway....definitely go to RC we are going back and not straying again!

Not everyone agrees with you, but you should go where you're most comfortable.

If you all read all the reviews on the Breakaway since the first sailing from NY this past May you will see a higher than majority all say the very same negative things as I have about the Breakaway.

Yes, we all different I rather go on a nearly negative free cruise ship than one that gives me an abundance of negatives...its just me. :)

Costa was priced very low :) and we truly enjoyed the cruises- no complaints except the cigarette smoke. Another issue was the kids club- not a complaint but Costa is an Italian line and the kids club wasn't so great for our son.

So we tried RCI this year and our DS age 11 absolutely loved the kids program! It was great for him- However, RCI is sooo expensive! The cruise cost more than other lines and the onboard prices for beverages is very high. We do like to cruise and would like to try a line that is more reasonably priced.

For those of you that have cruised both Norwegian and RCI can you give me the pros and cons of each line?

How is the kids program?

Hello, doesn't look like you are getting much in the way of "pro's and con's". :confused: I really can't give much assistance there.

The only RCCL cruise I was on was a small, older ship 3 or 4 day bahamas. The con's on this ship I have not had on any other. - couldn't use the hot tub as the wood was being revarnished and the public restrooms were every other deck, and as luck would have it, when I needed one it would be out of order:eek:.

Not enough to keep me from cruising with them..however not been on a second one. (Main reason being price)

I do perfer NCL, the price is good and customer service better than average. They are not perfect, however when I have had an issuse on board and I've told the people incharge, issues were resolved. :D

Go with what you are comfortable with and take bad reviews, for any line with a grain of salt. DH and I booked a cruise with HAL for a panama canal transit.This isalso when I discovered Cruise Critic. I had read so many negative things about HAL, I was literlly scared to go on the cruise. Let me tell you, that was the BEST cruise I've been on. :D (I still prefer NCL)

Best of Luck

I have been on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, and just got back from a cruise on Norwegian Gem. Norwegian is definitely my favorite. I'll do a quick breakdown for you (out of 5)

Category Royal Caribbean / Norwegian

Food 4 / 4.5

Production Shows 4 / 3

Other Entertainment 3.5 / 4(the second city!)

Parties 3 / 4.5(I really like the White Hot Party)

Service 4 / 4

Cleanliness 4 / 5(The Gem was spotless)

Value of Fare 3.5(very expensive)/ 4

Costs on board 4 / 4

Decor 3(dated and neutral)/ 4(bright and cheery)

The costs of beverages seemed comparable on both lines. I would go on a NCL cruise, that is NOT Breakaway, Getaway, or Epic over RCI. Freestyle cruising works very well. I don't really know much about the kids programs other than I saw all kinds of organized activities for kids all around the ship on NCL and not on Royal. They had things like a circus workshop for kids in the atrium.

Hope this helps a little!

Don't let one person's one experience make the difference.

We just completed a 29 day RCCL cruise. We had several long time RCCL cruisers tell us that if that had been there first RCCL cruise, it would have been their last. I wrote a review but won't go into specifics on that and since there are many who adore the line, I can say perhaps it wasn't a typical experience. In comparison our other RCCL cruise was fabulous and it was worse than any NCL cruise we've ever taken. Never had a negative experience with NCL. That said, I don't expect a luxury cruise from a mass market cruise line. I get good value and good service on both lines and choose based on price and itinerary

We feel more comfortable on NCL. I love the freestyle dining and DH loves not having to bring a suit/jacket. Makes packing to fly so much easier. I like being able to choose when and with whom we eat.

Someone commented about drink prices. I have found those MUCH higher on RCCL than NCL. Part of this was that on the RCCL cruises we've taken, there were no happy hours. Aside from that, the drinks I've ordered were $2-3 higher than we've ever paid on NCL (or on HAL as well), either in Europe or the Caribbean. A good thing, because I don't run up a bar bill when I think the prices are too high. We have found the food MUCH better on NCL. Both are mass market cruise lines so I don't expect gourmet in the MDR on either, but have had more than one inedible meal on RCCL and never one on NCL.

Have a good time, whichever you choose!

We've cruised both (although far more often on NCL). First off, we enjoyed both and would happily sail with either depending on the circumstances.

At a fundamental level, the big difference between the two is freestyle versus traditional cruising. (One reason we tend to favor NCL.) We also tend to favor older/smaller ships. Neither one of us is much of a drinker, so our bar tabs don't amount to much on either line from our perspective. One think we really loved about RCI was the Solarium. We loved the idea of what is basically an adults only pool deck and spent more time there than we ever did at any NCL pool deck.

Enjoyed the food on both, didn't bother with the entertainment on either.

Keep in mind, sailing on the newest ships is more expensive than sailing on older ones. RCI's new behemoths offer lots of ways to spend money.

Both lines crews are very polite and professional. The biggest difference was how much friendlier and more cheerful NCL's were. It's normal for the "front of the house" people (those who deal with the guests) to be personable and friendly, but what's always amazed me with NCL was how cheerful and friendly the "behind the scenes" personnel were. Maintenance personnel for instance would always stop and smile at us and greet us with a cheerful "good morning."

Both lines offer a great vacation experience. In many ways it's which one matches your personality best.

I actually think the biggest difference between the lines is Freestyle vs. Traditional cruising. On NCL, there is no option of traditional dining with the same table, same waiters, same time every night. You can ask to be seated with a favorite waiter when you arrive at the MDR, but no guarantee at all. There is also basically no dress code, no formal nights, really anything goes in the evenings and we have seen sweatpants, shorts, flip flops in the MDRs and all over the ship at night. Of course, not everyone dresses this way, but some do. There is an optional dress up night, but not many have dressed up on our cruises(this probably varies.) Some cruisers love this, some hate it, and others like us are neutral and enjoy both kinds of cruising at different times. On NCL, you'll find a looser, more casual, more flexible atmosphere overall. We love the many, varied dining options on NCL and don't mind the surcharges for the specialty restaurants, although some cruisers object to so many pay options. NCL has many devoted fans but it's not for everyone, and those who love traditional cruising usually just stay away so they won't be represented on these boards. Only you can judge whether these things are pros or cons for your family.

Completely different responses on the RCI board to this same question. Apparently NCL ships are dirty and the crews are terrible as is the food according to a couple of posters. I think the OP will have fun on NCL unless they are very difficult to please which it doesn't sound like to me. I read terrible reviews about the Sun before our first cruise and we had an excellent time and have compared our 2nd and 3rd cruises to that one. Everyone has their own opinion about everything and that's the way it should be. My only gripe is those that post opinions like they are fact. The OP will form their own opinion and will either cruise or not cruise NCL again.

I actually think the biggest difference between the lines is Freestyle vs. Traditional cruising. On NCL, there is no option of traditional dining with the same table, same waiters, same time every night. You can ask to be seated with a favorite waiter when you arrive at the MDR, but no guarantee at all. There is also basically no dress code, no formal nights, really anything goes in the evenings and we have seen sweatpants, shorts, flip flops in the MDRs and all over the ship at night. Of course, not everyone dresses this way, but some do. There is an optional dress up night, but not many have dressed up on our cruises(this probably varies.) Some cruisers love this, some hate it, and others like us are neutral and enjoy both kinds of cruising at different times. On NCL, you'll find a looser, more casual, more flexible atmosphere overall. We love the many, varied dining options on NCL and don't mind the surcharges for the specialty restaurants, although some cruisers object to so many pay options. NCL has many devoted fans but it's not for everyone, and those who love traditional cruising usually just stay away so they won't be represented on these boards. Only you can judge whether these things are pros or cons for your family.

I agree. Since we only started cruising in 2011 and have never experienced the so call traditional cruising my preference lies with freestyle. We like the option of not having to either dress up or eat at the buffet and sometimes choose to dine with others and sometimes not. We are trying RCI because it fit in with our schedule this year and I'm sure we will love it.

Completely different responses on the RCI board to this same question. Apparently NCL ships are dirty and the crews are terrible as is the food according to a couple of posters. I think the OP will have fun on NCL unless they are very difficult to please which it doesn't sound like to me. I read terrible reviews about the Sun before our first cruise and we had an excellent time and have compared our 2nd and 3rd cruises to that one. Everyone has their own opinion about everything and that's the way it should be. My only gripe is those that post opinions like they are fact. The OP will form their own opinion and will either cruise or not cruise NCL again.

Some of those posters have only done 1 NCL cruise in 2005! Things change over 8 years - we know that NCL have upped their game in the intervening period.

Someone asked a similar question in another thread.

HAving been on the best ships on either line, they are very similar experiences.

Both cruise lines offer the pinnacle of the cruising state today. When you look at them, they are marvels at sea. Service meets all REASONABLE expectations....many times exceeding expectations. Food on either line ranges from mediocre to very good.

I give the entertainment crown to NCL. But, that's because I've cruised the best ships NCL offers (Epic and Breakaway). Then again, I've also sailed two of the best ships RCL offers (Liberty and Alluer). Still give the entertainment nod to NCL.

All ofrer beautiful ships. I tell this to many when comparing/contrasting the two lines. Sail on the ship that gives you the itinerary you like best, and offers the best price.

You won't go wrong on either.

Someone asked a similar question in another thread.

HAving been on the best ships on either line, they are very similar experiences.

Both cruise lines offer the pinnacle of the cruising state today. When you look at them, they are marvels at sea. Service meets all REASONABLE expectations....many times exceeding expectations. Food on either line ranges from mediocre to very good.

I give the entertainment crown to NCL. But, that's because I've cruised the best ships NCL offers (Epic and Breakaway). Then again, I've also sailed two of the best ships RCL offers (Liberty and Alluer). Still give the entertainment nod to NCL.

All offer beautiful ships. I tell this to many when comparing/contrasting the two lines. Sail on the ship that gives you the itinerary you like best, and offers the best price.

You won't go wrong on either.

I have sailed both lines with my dh but the kids have only been on NCL. When they were younger we did our first cruise with them in 2006 on the Dawn. They had an amazing time and the kids club was fantastic. They didn't like the Epic as much and neither did I. Too big and not a big enough pool area. But, you will find many others that love the Epic. We are about to sail on the Dawn again and can't wait! I have never been on the RCI mega ships so can't compare them to NCL.

If I can sail more often in on a cheaper line or cabin, I think it is well worth it. NCL is comparable to RCI in my opinion. Both have there pluses but NCL freestyle is best for kids. It's nice to be able to eat where you want, when you want. I would definitely say give NCL a try!

I have sailed both lines with my dh but the kids have only been on NCL. When they were younger we did our first cruise with them in 2006 on the Dawn. They had an amazing time and the kids club was fantastic. They didn't like the Epic as much and neither did I. Too big and not a big enough pool area. But, you will find many others that love the Epic. We are about to sail on the Dawn again and can't wait! I have never been on the RCI mega ships so can't compare them to NCL.

If I can sail more often in on a cheaper line or cabin, I think it is well worth it. NCL is comparable to RCI in my opinion. Both have there pluses but NCL freestyle is best for kids. It's nice to be able to eat where you want, when you want. I would definitely say give NCL a try!

NCL Rocks!!!!!

Hi

I have sailed with RCI on the Voyager of the Seas and loved it! I then went on the NCL Jewel and constantly compared the 2 Cruise liners and have to say there is good in both just in different ways and in my opinion no bad in either liners.

I then went on the NCL Spirit which is an older ship in NCL's Fleet so never expected too much but loved this ship more than the other 2 as it is so friendly and the food was amazing! much better than RCI Voyager and that took some beating!

I have booked the Epic (NCL) for September and have read mixed reviews, I go on each ship with an open mind as we may prefer the small friendly ship to the large impersonal ship but unless you try them you will never know.

NCL do go out of their way to help and if you have a problem they sort it straight away (I had no problems at all)

NCL is now my prefered choice as when you weigh up cost/entertainment/food and cleanliness they are comparable so to me why pay more money?

Don't have young children but having tryed both liners I wouldn't hesitate to take children on either.

I agree. Since we only started cruising in 2011 and have never experienced the so call traditional cruising my preference lies with freestyle. We like the option of not having to either dress up or eat at the buffet and sometimes choose to dine with others and sometimes not. We are trying RCI because it fit in with our schedule this year and I'm sure we will love it.

I hope you come back and post here after your cruise, to give your perspective on a more traditional line after freestyle. Many of us who have cruised for some time started out on traditional ships because that was about all there was until a few years ago. Most lines offer more dining choices now, an expanded dinner buffet and anytime dining in part of the MDR, but not to the extent you find on NCL. You might want to try traditional, assigned seating for dinner on RCI, just to see what it is like. You won't get to eat whenever you want, but there is some benefit to having your table waiting at the chosen time, waiters who get to know you and your preferences and often have your favorite drink or whatever waiting for you, a more elegant feeling with the entire room on the same schedule. Tables for 2 are generally available if you don't want to share a table. But whatever dining you choose, you will still experience a more elegant evening atmosphere overall with most everyone following the dress code . All of this doesn't mean that we don't like freestyle and NCL, because we do. It's just a different vacation, and we appreciate the strengths of both. Some cruisers swear by one style or the other, but some enjoy both for different reasons and choose based on itinerary, price, schedule, whatever.

How is the kids program?

This is just an opinion and everyone has one: I will be honest, we haven't cruised RCI for many years so this is based on about 5 years ago

On board prices: will be about the same.

Cabins: almost the same. Again this does depend on the class of ships. Some ships have larger cabins. The smallest cabins we have ever had was on the Majesty of the Sea, but that is a very old ship. Next smallest was an NCL ship that is no more owned by NCL.

Can't compare the kids program cause we have grown kids and grown grandkids. I do know our grandkids always love the NCL program. I know RCIs is great as well.

Basically unless you are talking top of the line, RCI class ships I don't think you will find a lot of difference.

Archived