Buenos Aires restaurants

clambake43

Help us out a little. Where will you be staying in Buenos Aires? It's a huge city. My recommendations are usually locality specific. For example, there are great steak restaurants in Recoleta, Retiro, downtown, Palermo, San Telmo and in most of the other barrios in the city.

Second, what type food interests you? Grilled meat, Spanish and Italian restaurants abound, but these days you can find most anything from Peruvian-Japanese fusion to McDonalds.

Third, are you looking for good basic dining or are you a foodie?

Anyway, here is a good local guide to get you started. http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/

Edited by dr__dawggy

Help us out a little. Where will you be staying in Buenos Aires? It's a huge city. My recommendations are usually locality specific. For example, there are great steak restaurants in Recoleta, Retiro, downtown, Palermo, San Telmo and in most of the other barrios in the city.

Second, what type food interests you? Grilled meat, Spanish and Italian restaurants abound, but these days you can find most anything from Peruvian-Japanese fusion to McDonalds.

Third, are you looking for good basic dining or are you a foodie?

Anyway, here is a good local guide to get you started. http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/

Thanks for all your help. We are staying at the Intercontinental, I believe in "Centro". Love any type of food as long as it's not...dog, cat or game...LOL. Do want to try a Argentine steak house and a tapas place. LOVE Argentine wine. If we try "foreign" food (as in not South American)...Italian would be it. Don't want to pay a fortune but willing to spend $$ for a good dinner.

Susan

Thanks for all your help. We are staying at the Intercontinental, I believe in "Centro". Love any type of food as long as it's not...dog, cat or game...LOL. Do want to try a Argentine steak house and a tapas place. LOVE Argentine wine. If we try "foreign" food (as in not South American)...Italian would be it. Don't want to pay a fortune but willing to spend $$ for a good dinner.

Susan

Yes, the Intercontinental is in el centro. My personal favorite downtown parrilla/steak house is El Establo. San Martin/Paraguay. Order the half portions, which are still huge. A good example of an Argentine parrilla. This place appeals to locals and tourists alike. Sit in the downstairs area, where the grill is located. I order the bife de chorizo or lomo steaks. My wife prefers the chicken or a lomo brochette (steak, onion, peppers on a skewer). Good salads here, including a green salad or caprese with lots of mozeralla. I like the grilled provelta as an appetizer. The chorizo sausage is also very good. French fries, mashed potatoes or pumpkin squash (calabaza) are nice side dishes. Open from lunch straight through dinner. Many restaurants close after lunch and don't open again until 8 or 8:30. Argentinos eat lete.

Other good downtown choices: Las Nazerenas on Reconquista or El Mirasol de la Recova (just off 9 de julio). You will be staying on the side of downtown nearest San Telmo, so you might also look at 1880 Parrilla, a very good choice. Another neighborhood restaurant that attracts locals and tourists alike.

Yes, the Intercontinental is in el centro. My personal favorite downtown parrilla/steak house is El Establo. San Martin/Paraguay. Order the half portions, which are still huge. A good example of an Argentine parrilla. This place appeals to locals and tourists alike. Sit in the downstairs area, where the grill is located. I order the bife de chorizo or lomo steaks. My wife prefers the chicken or a lomo brochette (steak, onion, peppers on a skewer). Good salads here, including a green salad or caprese with lots of mozeralla. I like the grilled provelta as an appetizer. The chorizo sausage is also very good. French fries, mashed potatoes or pumpkin squash (calabaza) are nice side dishes. Open from lunch straight through dinner. Many restaurants close after lunch and don't open again until 8 or 8:30. Argentinos eat lete.

Other good downtown choices: Las Nazerenas on Reconquista or El Mirasol de la Recova (just off 9 de julio). You will be staying on the side of downtown nearest San Telmo, so you might also look at 1880 Parrilla, a very good choice. Another neighborhood restaurant that attracts locals and tourists alike.

Thanks! Is a "parrilla" a way to prepare barbeque steaks? Or is it a certain kind of food? Everything mentioned above sounds like a good bets. Appreciate everyone's input.

El Establo is closed until February 28th, 2015, for vacation. We walked there from our hotel, Melia Buenos Aires, a couple of times and then noticed the sign. They are closed for 3 weeks.

However, across the street is one of the best empanadas and pizza places for lunch...standing room only....we enjoyed the beef and chicken empanadas at Kentucky Pizzareia and Bar (corner SanMartin and Paraguay). Very reasonably priced at 48 ARS for a beer or water and 2 empanadas. Very enjoyable and filling.

now that you mention it, i do recall the notice that they would close for vacation this month. Sounds like you found a good option though. And Las Nazerenas is nearby on Reconquista if you want steak.

now that you mention it, i do recall the notice that they would close for vacation this month. Sounds like you found a good option though. And Las Nazerenas is nearby on Reconquista if you want steak.

Oh yes, the empanadas were so filling and the best we've ever had. Even wished we had a few more days in BA to enjoy this some more. I guess we will just have to go back.

BTW Thanks for all your suggestions earlier. We chose to stay at the Melia Buenos Aires instead of the Claridge, and enjoyed it tremendously. Great location on Reconquista and lots of bars across the street.