Santiago..a big but interesting experience

bocaraton

Arrived in Santiago at the end of a long day. Stayed at the Marriott residence. It met all our needs. Plus they are returning a kindle I left there via Fedex. !! Food service was really not good in the evening so ate elsewhere.

Now to Santiago itself: An amazingly beautiful city. Chris the van man took us to everything on our list and more. We had sent the list ahead. He is phenomenal. We went from the mountain tops to the lower city. He is a fountain of knowledge and being with him was a pleasure. He gave us just enough time in each place...there is nothing he will not do for you if you ask and it is within reason. He even got us into the Jewish synagogue because we followed his instructions re security to the letter. ...the synagogue even asked again for copies of our passports and recommendations while we were on the cruise. I emailed back that all of us did not have them that we were already on the boat, but they should look in earlier emails and that they would find them..

The mountains, the people of Santiago, the atmosphere, sophisticated european...it all makes for a wonderful stop enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

We adored Santiago. We stayed near the arty, vibrant Bellavista neighborhood. The streets were explode with street art, music and cafes.

We stayed at the Hotel Loreto. It was a very nice contemporary remodel of an old building in Bellavista. Superb service and staff, beautiful rooms, great location and very reasonable prices.

We are in Santiago now, leaving tonight after 4 days, could use a few more. We are on Merced in Centro only a few blocks from Plaza de Armas, with views of Cerro Santa Lucia and the Andes, except haven't seen much of the mountains because of the summer smog. Mornings are the best time for seeing them.

This is an easy city for walking, with many plazas, museums and markets close if you are in Centro. I got to try Patagonian Wild Boar on Lasterria and it was a real treat. DW has a great piece of grouper and enjoyed that as well.

We walked to the top of Cerro San Cristobal after taking the funicular up. A man opened the chapel in the base of the statue just as we arrived, which DW saw as a gift. Very nice experience despite the effort of the climb.

There is a place in the Cultural Center at Plaza de la Moneda called Civica where we took a break for Pisco Sours and a wonderful plate of grilled seafood that included pulpo, mussels, camarones and scallops. really really good!!

We had a wonderful stay here and recommend allowing several days if visiting. There is so much to see and do...

Arrived in Santiago at the end of a long day. Stayed at the Marriott residence. It met all our needs. Plus they are returning a kindle I left there via Fedex. !! Food service was really not good in the evening so ate elsewhere.

Now to Santiago itself: An amazingly beautiful city. Chris the van man took us to everything on our list and more. We had sent the list ahead. He is phenomenal. We went from the mountain tops to the lower city. He is a fountain of knowledge and being with him was a pleasure. He gave us just enough time in each place...there is nothing he will not do for you if you ask and it is within reason. He even got us into the Jewish synagogue because we followed his instructions re security to the letter. ...the synagogue even asked again for copies of our passports and recommendations while we were on the cruise. I emailed back that all of us did not have them that we were already on the boat, but they should look in earlier emails and that they would find them..

The mountains, the people of Santiago, the atmosphere, sophisticated european...it all makes for a wonderful stop enjoy it.

Hi,

You mind telling me how I would get a hold of Chris the van man?

thanks

• 4 weeks later...