Windstar - Norway - Have you been?

cruzilove

Norway is amazing, and a great place to cruise. You'll have a wonderful anniversary cruise! Just be prepared for very changeable weather.

Not sure what info you're looking for, but you can find info about ports and excursions on our Northern Europe forum: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=192

For the Tall Ships' cruise in 2015 we left From Oslo. The fiord going out was breathtaking. We had dinner at Candles that night georgeous. Oslo is a great small city, so much to see and do. Make sure you get a city pass you can take public transportation with that. Great, clean, system and you can get anywhere easily. The Ship museum fabulous, The Resistance museum fabulous, the Frogner Park beautiful, Munch Museum great, make sure you visit the opera house plaza amazingly beautiful, great walking city, we had 3 days there prior to the cruise not enough time, but we had a great time. Terrific restaurants. Everyone warned us about how e expensive Norway was, we are not wealthy by a long stretch and we did not find anymore expensive than home (Massachusetts ) maybe alcohol a tiny bit but we are not big drinkers. We stoped in Kristiandstad, a lovely small town with a beautiful wooden church when we stopped in we heard a beautiful organ concert. Also, the famous fish market is there. Bought their famous tiny shrimps and took them on the ship delicious. I am also very interested in the Norway fiord cruise. Happy Sailing

We did Iceland/Norway/Ireland on the Star Legend two summers ago. It was a fantastic trip. We were traveling with my husband's parents who are fairly active, but nevertheless in their mid-80s.

Our Norway stops:

Molde - we took a ship excursion on "authentic Viking ship" to a so-so lunch. Not worth the money, imo.

Alesund - Self walkabout town. It's interesting and beautiful. We really enjoyed the museum in the old pharmacy including the video of the fire that destroyed the city. We had a great lunch on the pedestrian street. I had read a blog about the fish soup there. Great day!

Geiranger - wow!!! The quintessential fjord view. The entire town is a unesco site. There are three amazing viewpoints around the town. I highly recommend skipping the slow tour bus and hiring a driver to see them. Cars handle all the switchbacks much better than a bus. Surprisingly, I found a Norwegian made beautiful elk leather knapsack in the gift shop right at the tender stop. On deck barbecue was magical this night.

Bergen - spent the morning exploring the wharf. Two of us went shopping with the chef for fish. Another two attended the free afternoon shore excursion for a concert at the home and concert hall of Edvard Grieg - they really enjoyed it. There were quite a few other things to do here which looked interesting.

One port- Bergen?- an old fashioned fire boat accompanied us out of the harbor while shooting up multiple streams of water. We really enjoyed that.

The chef shopped for fresh fish at every stop and the daily fish specials onboard

were delicious.

It was a great cruise. We lucked out with sunny warm days every day but one.

I hope you enjoy it too. :)

We did Iceland, the Faroe Islands, the Shetland Islands, and the Norwegian fjords two years ago on the Star Legend. Each stop was unique and beautiful in its own way. The fjords are breathtaking, the Norwegian people are warm and friendly, and the Legend staff was fantastic, as always. You will love it!