Alexandria: Walking to Fort Qaitbey from cruise ship port

Glorybe

Are there sidewalks to walk on if one wanted to walk from the Alexandria cruise ship port to Fort Qaitbey? I have read that the views are scenic from that point. I have used google maps to see a route and walking time (30 min), but the route seems to show major roads. My hubby and I have a couple of free hours on a June afternoon (2015) after doing the National Museum and Library on a ship's excursion. Your thoughts on this plan would be appreciated.

Are there sidewalks to walk on if one wanted to walk from the Alexandria cruise ship port to Fort Qaitbey? I have read that the views are scenic from that point. I have used google maps to see a route and walking time (30 min), but the route seems to show major roads. My hubby and I have a couple of free hours on a June afternoon (2015) after doing the National Museum and Library on a ship's excursion. Your thoughts on this plan would be appreciated.

Yes, there is a sidewalk on/over the port bridge.

WE walked into Alexandria from the ship, after we refused the Taxi. (The driver wanted a minimum of 2 hours pay at about $40.00 USD per hour ! I told him to shove it, and we got out of the taxi.)

The worst part of this port are SOME of the locals that prey on tourist and try to ruin your visit.

Do the ship's excursion, then re-think going back on your own.

Yes, there is a sidewalk on/over the port bridge.

WE walked into Alexandria from the ship, after we refused the Taxi. (The driver wanted a minimum of 2 hours pay at about $40.00 USD per hour ! I told him to shove it, and we got out of the taxi.)

The worst part of this port are SOME of the locals that prey on tourist and try to ruin your visit.

Do the ship's excursion, then re-think going back on your own.

Thanks for the heads up about possible problems with taxi rates. Nice to know that the driver spoke English and would take American dollars. I was told to have someone write the address of the sight I wanted to go in Arabic, have a picture of the sight, or know how to pronounce the name of the sight in Arabic. I didn't really want to exchange money to the EP either as the amount needed would be so small.

Reading between the lines in your answer I gather that you were not concerned about your safety walking on the streets in the port area. Sidewalks were on the routes you walked so hopefully between the port and Fort Qaitbey the route will be easy to follow, sidewalks will be available and it will be safe to walk that area. Now, to assess the heat of the afternoon in early June....