Seasick Meds

bell777

Someone just asked John Heald about this recently. The person was rather disappointed that complimentary meds were not available.

So, that being said, you need to bring your own. I always bring Bonine and I've also brought ginger root. You can also get your family doctor to prescribe some of the little patches that go behind your ears. However, I will warn you that the patches can cause blurred vision.

Someone just asked John Heald about this recently. The person was rather disappointed that complimentary meds were not available.

So, that being said, you need to bring your own. I always bring Bonine and I've also brought ginger root. You can also get your family doctor to prescribe some of the little patches that go behind your ears. However, I will warn you that the patches can cause blurred vision.

Those patches also make your wallet scream for help!

My first cruise with Carnival, they were free. Lucky for me because I had never been seasick on my previous cruise on another cruise line. Now I always bring Bonine/equivalent. The generic stuff is cheap- always better to have some with you than be caught without it handy!

It is easy and inexpensive to have seasick meds with you. The generic form is called Meclazine. It is the same ingredient that's in Bonine and Dramamine II.

It is also better to start taking the meds before you feel ill as once you are feeling sick it takes a while for the meds to work.

My suggestion is Sea Bands. They have no side effects and no expiration date. You also don't need a prescription for them or have to worry about them interacting with other medication you may be on. I have found they work well for me. You can find them in your local pharmacy. I haven't suffered from sea sickness for some time but still carry my Sea Bands with me just in case.

I purchased a bottle of 100 25mg meclizine pills over-the-counter at our local Walmart pharmacy for less than $10. The dosage called for two pills the first day and one pill per day afterwards.

Another good option to treat seasickness is ginger tablets or ginger capsules. They contain only ground ginger, a natural motion sickness suppressant, so there's less concern about drug interaction or unnecessary exposure to drugs. They are cheap too--a bottle of 100 tablets costs around $4.

And do they work? I suffer greatly from seasickness and they do the trick for me.

It's a good idea to bring your own seasick meds, some ibuprofen, small band-aids, & anything else you might need as a small first aid kit. It will save time and money should you need it!

That's what we do..we take a gallon ziploc bag with bandaids, ibuprofen, seasick pills, anything we might possibly need.

Not a thing, but it is good for many other things. Benadryl is a good backup for motion sickness. The first generation of anti histamines are all anti emetics ( vomiting).

Didnt realize benadryl was good for motion sickness. Can take my old meclizine pills out of my travel bag. Getting too full with stuff anyway.

The only trouble with taking ginger pills is that I would not know how many to take? There is no dosage info.

I have never heard of Benadryl being used for relief of seasickness. How do you come by your information??

Ibuprofen is a pain reliever and has nothing to do with relieving nausea!

Edited by riffatsea

The only trouble with taking ginger pills is that I would not know how many to take? There is no dosage info.

I have never heard of Benadryl being used for relief of seasickness. How do you come by your information??

Ibuprofen is a pain reliever and has nothing to do with relieving nausea!

35 years as a paramedic. As for the ginger 250mg four times a day.

From Carnival's FAQ page:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Medical_Services.aspx

Medication

Motion Sickness: complimentary Meclizine (Bonine) is available from the Medical Center, Room Service or the Information Desk, free of charge. A motion sickness shot can be administered to those who are actively vomiting, but not as preventive medicine; there is a fee for the shot. The Medical Center does not have motion sickness patches nor wristbands.

Is this no longer offered? We just got off Freedom last weekend and I saw something on board (can't remember where or what) that said they give free Bonine. I remember commenting to my husband that I never knew they offered that. (We've never needed it but it was nice to see it was offered for those that do)

I've used sea bands in the past, but now I just take one ginger capsule morning & evening. I can't remember ever having any problems with being seasick. I've also heard that the green apples are good for seasickness per the staff.