Is there a Celebrity "Champions "program too?

hcat

after reading the link below I am wondering about some of the opinions that others post here too--

Does anyone know if there is a secret or non-secret Celebrity Champions program too??? Seems to skew the perceived neutrality of the boards

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=932627

Thats interesting but I was curious about the number of posts listed. I wonder if Royal Caribbean is aware that a number of people have been around for years and had thousands of posts wiped out by the numerous programming changes.

I am a charter member of cruise critic going back to whatever it was 94 or 95 and probably have 30 to 40 thousands posts but am listed as having only 4thousand. It seems that a lot of newbies might get picked while the older posters could be left out in the cold..

after reading the link below I am wondering about some of the opinions that others post here too--

Does anyone know if there is a secret or non-secret Celebrity Champions program too??? Seems to skew the perceived neutrality of the boards

Here we go again..........

These conversations seem to skew the perceived value of the boards.

Mike

I don't understand the issue with the Royal Champions programme. It seems to me that Royal Caribbean is using word of mouth or viral marketing for their product. Loads of companies do this, without the specific "title" to put on a message board.

Companies are going to have a tough time marketing in the next year or so and if they decide to reward those who do their marketing for them by posting positive information on a webboard then that seems perfectly reasonable.

I participate with a couple of national polling organizations and there is frequently a segment of questions relating to circles of influence. Those who publicly support an organization or a company are coveted ... and I suspect this is exactly the group that RCI has targeted.

EDIT to add: I'm not a Royal Champion, so no conflict of interest here!

This is really starting to get irksome. I've shared a lot of information over the years for which you have thanked me as it has been helpful to you. I am also grateful to you for the information you have shared. I guess now I'll be devalued in your eyes since I'm a part of the RC program. You've chosen to believe some disgruntled posters who did not get a free pre-inaugural cruise (and would not have actually qualified for one since they weren't Diamond Plus) over my own and the assertions of others. I can only presume you are equally going to ask who is Elite on this board (I am) because Celebrity gives Elite members previews to ships sometimes and you will want to start believing that their input is skewed now, too.

That you felt the need to drag this over here has been a disappointment to me. It's the equivalent of a kid on a school yard trying to get others to come watch a fight.

Sorry to upset the applecart .., but I may have been the last to learn about this & was really shocked & disappointed to hear about it.. I also never heard the term viral marketing til the post here..what is that? Maybe I'd rather not know...

I enjoy sharing info but have never been perked for any of my positives.....(at least that I know of)

I am even looking forward to a cruise with members of CC when the opportunity arises, since I value the people who sponsor the board , feel the moderators really help us out & feel it would be correct to patronize them...they peform a great service...

the most disappointing issue overall to me is that more people seem concerned that they are not chosen to be one of these "cheerleaders"... than the fact that positives posters are rewarded by the cruise line...seems everyone wants in on the action...not even sure what these sought after perks are...

How does this differ from someone posting to rave about a guide & you find out they are the guide's brother-in-law! or a dealer giving you a car so you can tell everyone how good it is.. & if you say it is bad they take the car back maybe???

anyhow the, ethics are for the owners of the Board to figure out but glad I am now more aware..

Sorry to upset the applecart .., but I may have been the last to learn about this & was really shocked & disappointed to hear about it.. I also never heard the term viral marketing til the post here..what is that? Maybe I'd rather not know...

If you saw an Herbel Essences ad in the 80's, you have heard of it. It goes something like "they told two friends, and so on."

I enjoy sharing info but have never been perked for any of my positives.....(at least that I know of)

Neither have most of the RCs, except for their title. Some of the older ones got to go on a 2-nighter (if they went to the expense of flying themselves there) about 2 years ago. The person who started that thread you quote has been posting nasty threads about it ever since because they were not invited. They felt it should only be for Diamond Plus C&A members (which would still have excluded that member).

the most disappointing issue overall to me is that more people seem concerned that they are not chosen to be one of these "cheerleaders"... than the fact that positives posters are rewarded by the cruise line...seems everyone wants in on the action...not even sure what these sought after perks are...

As you read on that post, most RCs have not received a perk besides their title. Some of us were invited on that pre-inagural two years ago. That's it.

How does this differ from someone posting to rave about a guide & you find out they are the guide's brother-in-law! or a dealer giving you a car so you can tell everyone how good it is.. & if you say it is bad they take the car back maybe???

anyhow the, ethics are for the owners of the Board to figure out but glad I am now more aware..

The difference is that we were chosen for being enthusiastic and helpful posters, according to the RCL staff who contacted us, who clearly enjoyed their products and enjoyed talking about them (...and they told two friends) to others. We were chosen because we speak frankly and cheerfully. We were chosen because of those things, we didn't do those things in order to be chosen.

That's why posts like yours that call our current motivations into question are offensive to me. The only way my opinion could possibly matter now is if we had turned down the acknowledgement by the line. There was no way to win this.

That's why posts like yours that call our current motivations into question are offensive to me. The only way my opinion could possibly matter now is if we had turned down the acknowledgement by the line. There was no way to win this.

Lee, I think you might be missing our point (the non-RC's). Some of us find your signature offensive, kinda like a kick in the face every time we have to see "Royal Champion". Just a thought...

###

And some non-RCs are demanding that we leave them in so that they can know who the shills are.

I think that the inability of some to be happy for someone else's good luck is a sad fact of life today and I will likely remove it when the brouhaha dies.

I'd also like to know what the "it" is you think I'm waving in your face. I hear from the RC person at Royal Caribbean about once every 9 months, usually to take a poll or something else non-glamorous.

Putting aside the RC vs. non-RC discussion for a moment (because I read that entire thread on the RCI board out of boredom and would really not want to repeat that battle here, too)...the OP does have a good question.

If I'm remembering correctly, somewhere in that long thread on the RCI, one of the CC hosts mentioned their role in the RC program and that CC had helped work with RCI on a similar program for Celebrity. I wonder what, if anything, will materialize as a result. Any insight, hosts?

The difference is that we were chosen for being enthusiastic and helpful posters, according to the RCL staff who contacted us, who clearly enjoyed their products and enjoyed talking about them (...and they told two friends) to others. We were chosen because we speak frankly and cheerfully. We were chosen because of those things, we didn't do those things in order to be chosen.

In my opinion (for what that may be worth), the sentence above that I marked in bold should cut the feet out from under the folks criticizing the RCs. They all had a history of doing something that RCI found appealing. They didn't suddenly post only positive comments because they were Royal Champions.

How many of us on CC (both RCL & Celebrity forums) benefited from them? I know I have. And when I was helped, I said thank you. That's what RCL did. What's wrong with recognizing something that benefits you?

Are those of you who are so cynical of anything positive these folks say going to now doubt every positive post from anybody thinking "That jerk is trying to get rewarded by the cruiseline"?

I didn't know what a Royal Champion was before that thread and my life is no better for knowing it now. If Celebrity has a similar program, it is equally unimportant to me. No post on this or any other forum is gospel to me unless I personally know the poster. So "credentials" just aren't that important (except maybe to those who don't have them).

I didn't know what Royal Champions were before this thread, I kinda assumed it was some local sports reference! :rolleyes:

But I've been enjoying Schplinky's advice for a long time. I really appreciate that he's frank. He's not a big rah-rah Pollyanna, he's honest about the things he doesn't like. But he recognises that cruising is a great vacation, and doesn't sweat the small stuff. I can totally understand why Royal Carribean want him onboard - literally and metaphorically. Frankly, I hope he gets the odd perk for helping out, here on the boards and with whatever surveys etc Royal Carribean send him.

Now that I know what Royal Champions are though, I really appreciate people who include it in their sigs. For one thing, it means that this is someone who has been helpful in the past, and knows a little bit of what they're talking about. That's not to say that people who don't have "Royal Champion" in their sig don't know what they're talking about - it's just another piece of data. I like being fully-informed about the stuff I do, so data is good :)

Schplinky, thanks so much for all your input and advice on these boards! You rock :D

And some non-RCs are demanding that we leave them in so that they can know who the shills are.

I think that the inability of some to be happy for someone else's good luck is a sad fact of life today and I will likely remove it when the brouhaha dies.

I'd also like to know what the "it" is you think I'm waving in your face. I hear from the RC person at Royal Caribbean about once every 9 months, usually to take a poll or something else non-glamorous.

Hi Lee,

I have alwayed enjoyed your fair, interesting, accurate, and well-written reviews, as well as Mike's journal, your beautiful cruise website, photos and podcasts. Your answers to the many questions posed here have been most informative and pleasant, and the information you have shared has personally been extremely helpful to me in planning my upcoming cruise on the Solstice.

I for one am happy to see that someone who deserved it was chosen as a Royal Champion. Please do not let the opinion of an extremely "small" minority upset you or keep you from displaying "RC" in your signature. I know that I speak for many "of us" when I say congrats on being chosen as a RC. If anyone deserves it, you do. Wear the honor proudly in your signature. I know I would! :)

Thanks to you and Mike for all of your posts, your humor and your wit.

Nancy

Isn't this the core of the backlash, knowing that everyone in the universe that has sailed on Royal ships or has have a favorable sailings and reported them as favorable feels cheated?

People have to act a bit more mature with those who they have enjoyed commingling with all this time rather than find offense with them because of their assignment by the cruise line. If not, then its just petty jealousy that has gotten the best of all those who can't sort this out.

People have to act a bit more mature with those who they have enjoyed commingling with all this time rather than find offense with them because of their assignment by the cruise line. If not, then its just petty jealousy that has gotten the best of all those who can't sort this out.

commingling.....I like that word. :)

Just have to add my 2 cents in support of Mike & Lee. As a newbie to these boards and cruising in general, I found their website (and later their posts on CC) to be uniformly informative, entertaining, and fair-minded. After reading so many posts from people with an obvious axe to grind it is refreshing to hear from an upbeat, informed source.

As someone who is in the information business (I'm a Library Director), I know how difficult it is to reach people effectively. We are bombarded with so much information online, on TV, etc. If RC is smart enough to find good advocates for their product and utilize them for word-of-mouth marketing, good for them.

Mike & Lee - you provide a valuable service to many of us out there who are nervous about spending so much money on a cruise and want to be sure of every detail! I spend a lot of time researching online (both at home and at work) and recognize a well designed, organized site when I see one. Kudos to you! It takes a lot of time and effort and expertise to develop and maintain this product - and at your own expense.

So....ignore the whiners, please. As others have said, we really appreciate what you are doing and hope you continue.

I am not jealous of anyone. I have been cruising since the 1960's.....

The information I recieve from the boards is very helpful & appreciated, as I hope my information helps others as well. However, the insinuation of Royal C. into marketing into the process is disappointing and IMHO will affect board content.

I won't be commenting on the issue again as my questions are fully answered.

Just have to add my 2 cents in support of Mike & Lee. As a newbie to these boards and cruising in general, I found their website (and later their posts on CC) to be uniformly informative, entertaining, and fair-minded. After reading so many posts from people with an obvious axe to grind it is refreshing to hear from an upbeat, informed source.

As someone who is in the information business (I'm a Library Director), I know how difficult it is to reach people effectively. We are bombarded with so much information online, on TV, etc. If RC is smart enough to find good advocates for their product and utilize them for word-of-mouth marketing, good for them.

Mike & Lee - you provide a valuable service to many of us out there who are nervous about spending so much money on a cruise and want to be sure of every detail! I spend a lot of time researching online (both at home and at work) and recognize a well designed, organized site when I see one. Kudos to you! It takes a lot of time and effort and expertise to develop and maintain this product - and at your own expense.

So....ignore the whiners, please. As others have said, we really appreciate what you are doing and hope you continue.

Nice Avitar back drop.

If you looked at costs and disregard the nickle and dimers who always have somethng to say....

A cruise is a better vacation value then the travel / eat / pay / hotel / pay / unpack / pack / eat / pay / travel / pay / hotel / pay / eat / pay ......

You get the idea.

I loved it from the very start when you know mst of the cost up front and paid at the end.

Which brings me to a nice short story when my wife and I were on our first cruise.

She borrowed $20 of the tip money not knowning. Then we had to scramble to get it together at the end of the cruise.

But found a folded $20 in the back of my wallett for emergency. This was one of them.

Then checked the tip dollars needed again and found we had a little left over.

She was happy going off to the gift shop for that last treasure to be bought on the ship.

Thank goodness our friends picked us up at the pier.

Archived