It seems like most people feel Carnival's food and service quality have declined...

Carleeb12

For many of us who have been cruising over half a century...it is true that food quality has declined. But once, a cruise had 500 passengers per meal, served in a single dining room with assigned seating. Now, most Carnival ships sail with 3000 to 4500 passengers and food must be brought aboard and in mega quantities, cooked rapidly, and served in both the buffet and the dining room at the same time.

I can't even imagine the tonnage in food supplies that are brought onboard every cruise....probably well over 3000 grocery carts full. So food, alas, suffers from the quantity that needs to be prepared and finding suppliers capable of supplying the demand that is needed. Where once it was 500 lobsters it is now 4000 plus. You get the picture.

Personally I think the advent of the Buffet is probably the main culprit. Where Chefs only prepared 3 meals they are preparing mammoth amounts of food that sits around for hours on end.

I still enjoy cruise food but my expectations have lowered over the years...ah for the days of baked Alaska and chateaubriand and 1 lb. Lobsters served whole.

On our last cruise, we loved just about everything that we ate. If I remember correctly, it was more of the desserts that I wasn't too happy with, so I stuck with the ice cream for the most part.

I do know that I never got tired of their chicken tenders.

Maybe once we have a few more cruises under our belt, certain things may matter. At this point, we're just happy to go and just relax. Coming here (message board) has been soooo helpful.

I actually felt the quality of our Alaska cruise was less than our Caribbean one just this past November. I'm not a "foodie" by any means, but there are things I like. We had a couple of things that were good, but most thing were more mediocre. I will say the fried chicken was one of the best! I'm sure it's difficult reaching such a large crowd on a weekly basis, at sea. I don't necessarily cruise for the food these days.

Yes, I feel there has been a slight decline since I started cruising even as recently as 2009. Particularly in the dining room, the decline in service is most noticeable. But, I still love cruising and and can't wait for the next one, because we always have a great time. I can't say at what point I would no longer cruise, but it's not to that point yet, for sure.

I dont remember everything that the hubster had on his plate. I think it was Italian food. I do know he ate it all...lol.

This was on our cruise on the Sensation (2014)

cruise7_zpsb99be3d3.jpg

Maybe I'm just simple, but I loved their burgers and fries and chicken fingers when we sailed in 2014 on Sensation. I ate it every chance I got...lol

cruise_zpspaenuipl.jpg

We will be on the Valor for our upcoming cruise and I'm so looking forward to trying out Guys burgers. 1st time in doing so. I also made reservations for the steakhouse, which will be a first.

Edited by Mr & Mrs Happy

Seems industry wide... On many of the other boards it is kind of a common theme. I don't know if it is all true "lesser quality" some is an effect of the casualization of the cruises and the greater availability to more people? Cruises have generally become less formal,and more casual and that is perceived by many to be a downgrade. In some cases it is the quality that suffers to maintain lower prices respective to inflation.

I think both selection and quality have declined in the last few years, due in part to the American Table menu. However I still enjoy the MDR and on the nights that no entree appeals to me I still enjoy a selection of appetizers and the cheeseplate.

If shrimp cocktails and the cheeseplate were eliminated that would be a different story.

Also the shrimp salad that was deleted from the room service menu was one of my favorite things. Still I enjoy Carnival.

Is this true industry-wide, or is it just true for Carnival? And if so, how much would the quality have to suffer before people would stop cruising as a result of poor experiences/value?

Who is most people? Because I don't personally know anyone that feels food has totally declined. Maybe most people on here, which is less than a 10th of the cruising public.

I've never had a poor experience on a cruise. And don't expect to. I've enjoyed some aspects about every cruise better than others, but that is to be expected. We started cruising in 2001. Food has always been great although I did have a bland prime rib once.;)

Is this true industry-wide, or is it just true for Carnival? And if so, how much would the quality have to suffer before people would stop cruising as a result of poor experiences/value?

A poster said how much they loved the chicken fingers. That sums it up for the quality of food. If you can only find the kids food the best than its time to find a real cruise line!!!

In many cases the quality of a cruise vacation gets better with many other cruislines. You should try some others

I would agree that most 'mass-market' cruise lines, like Carnival, have gone down a bit in included food and service, due to the ferocious competition in cruise fares. The trend across the board, is to offer more and more extra charge specialty dining venues, for those wanting higher quality food and service, and are willing to pay more to get it....

A poster said how much they loved the chicken fingers. That sums it up for the quality of food. If you can only find the kids food the best than its time to find a real cruise line!!!

In many cases the quality of a cruise vacation gets better with many other cruislines. You should try some others

I love chicken tenders because Im not that picky. Plain and simple. My husband is a foodie and if he doesnt like something, he wont eat it. He enjoyed the food on our last cruise.

We've only gotten really into cruising the past few years. We have yet to be disappointed with either food options or service on Carnival. In all honestly, this is a fairly inexpensive vacation, and prices seem to be stable. Has anyone had a few "mediocre" meals in NYC or other major metropolitan area? I'm pretty sure we spent more on 4 meals for 4 people in San Francisco than I'm paying for my upcoming 7 night stay on Carnival. Those 4 meals were wonderful, but I really think I prefer spending that much on a week in the Caribbean. choices is what it's all about. happy cruising to all!!

It's all over.

It is not just the food, service and entertainment have also declined. My first cruise years ago, we joked that it was like the room steward was living under the bed. He honestly would tidy up when we left the room for minutes. Now we get to pick morning or evening service. The steak in the MDR used to be a good steak and we had lobster on every cruise.

I have thoroughly enjoyed Carnival, but I can see me moving on from the brand when the kids are gone. They will think it was a natural move, but I honestly would be fine staying with Carnival if service and amenities were still like my first cruise.

Service and quality have gone down, but it has too with the price not going up something has to give. There are less crew on board to do the same job do you think service is going to be the same? A cruise is still the best value and cheapest option for vacation.

We've only been cruising since 2014, but across 5 cruises and 3 ships, we've found the food just plain gross as a whole, especially the stuff on the Lido buffet. We haven't eaten even one night in the MDR since cruise #2. We have found a few good things, like the grilled chicken at the BBQ place on the Magic, the salad bar also on the Magic at 5 Mid, the pizza from the 24 hour pizzeria, the chicken bacon mac and cheese at brunch, the burritos from Blue Iguana, and a Guy's burger. We rotate through those things, but if you're on a ship without 2.0 upgrades, or your'e not on a Dream class with the BBQ and good salad bar, it's tough. At home, we live on chicken breast, veggies, and lean beef. But there's just something about those things on the ship that are just nasty. Like the greens on the salad bar on Lido look like a bowl of yard work, to loosely quote Jim Gaffigan. LOL And we tried some chicken from the rotisserie I think it was on the Splendor, OMG it was so disgusting. But luckily, we do NOT cruise for the food. So, we make do, bring healthy snacks, pretty much eat like college kids all week, and enjoy our Cheers package. LOL And we love Carnival, we just accept that their food isn't great as a whole.

Edited by watermelonqueen99