Dubrovnik excusions.....need help please

We will be in Dubrovnik in July. Do you suggest a Celebrity tour, private tour, or simply doing this port on our own? What are the "must sees"? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks

jlijny:

The Dubrovnik tourist bureau has an vast amount of information which you can decide exactly what you would like to see. July is very busy, not as bad as August, however you should plan your day to take advantage of the sights of Dubrovnik. There is more to our town than just walking the city walls, which is a good way to see the old town. The walls are 2 kilometers long, a grand total of 650 steps and takes about 2 hours if you stop to take photos. If your ship is arriving here on either Saturday or Sunday, be prepared for very large crowds. Weekdays are so much better and you do need to know where you're going to take advantage of my home.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

We will be in Dubrovnik in July. Do you suggest a Celebrity tour, private tour, or simply doing this port on our own? What are the "must sees"? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks

There is no need for an organized tour. It is an easy do-it-yourself port city. Maybe invest in a cruise line bus ride to the city (if you dock.) If you tender, that would not be necessary.

Read through some of the older posts on Dubrovnik - very helpful. Do a search on "Croatian Travelady" and read her posts. Extremely informative and helpful.

jlijny:

The Dubrovnik tourist bureau has an vast amount of information which you can decide exactly what you would like to see. July is very busy, not as bad as August, however you should plan your day to take advantage of the sights of Dubrovnik. There is more to our town than just walking the city walls, which is a good way to see the old town. The walls are 2 kilometers long, a grand total of 650 steps and takes about 2 hours if you stop to take photos. If your ship is arriving here on either Saturday or Sunday, be prepared for very large crowds. Weekdays are so much better and you do need to know where you're going to take advantage of my home.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/english/index.php

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Thanks for the link. I am especially enthrawled by the walking tour..Any idea how long it would take?

Thanks so much

Mel

Thanks for the link. I am especially enthrawled by the walking tour..Any idea how long it would take?

Thanks so much

Mel

Mel: Which walking tour are you talking about. The city walls will take 2 hours if you stop to take photos. Walking around the town, depends on where you stop. The tour companies all go to the same places and skip the best Churches and museums, I have my own favorites. They also use very big group sizes often more than 30 guests. Too big, can't hear a thing and locals tend to make fun of the large groups.

Personally I do not believe than anyone can "Do it on your own" and experience the true essence of Dubrovnik. Sorry other posters that is my personal thought.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

An American Living in Dubrovnik

Great! We are still working on the schedule since our daughter is having some big changes in her life and we are thinking about visiting again in September or October! Simply in love with Croatia! Don't blame ya for not going back :) and I agree that group tours are no good. We found this great Croatian boutique agency and they did everything for us. I just enjoy small group, personal experience

This past year September was still very busy. The biggest group of tourists come off the Costa cruises and they seem to have one ship or another in port every few days. October is wonderful and I don't swim any longer, but many locals still do.

As far as I'm concerned the only way to see the Dalmatian coast is from the sea, but not a cruise ship. A group of us chartered a small 90' wooden gulet and we spend 7 nights cruising from Trogir to Dubrovnik. We stopped on several islands, small bays and inlets and basically only moved 4 hours per day. It was fantastic and I would do it again in a New York minute. The total group was 12 and we each had a cabin with private facilities, tiny but ok.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Mel: Which walking tour are you talking about. The city walls will take 2 hours if you stop to take photos. Walking around the town, depends on where you stop. The tour companies all go to the same places and skip the best Churches and museums, I have my own favorites. They also use very big group sizes often more than 30 guests. Too big, can't hear a thing and locals tend to make fun of the large groups.

Personally I do not believe than anyone can "Do it on your own" and experience the true essence of Dubrovnik. Sorry other posters that is my personal thought.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

I had seen a walking tour on the tourism website you have given. Would you recommend a private walking tour then?

thanks

Mel

A group of us chartered a small 90' wooden gulet and we spend 7 nights cruising from Trogir to Dubrovnik. We stopped on several islands, small bays and inlets and basically only moved 4 hours per day. It was fantastic and I would do it again in a New York minute. The total group was 12 and we each had a cabin with private facilities, tiny but ok. Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

My brother in law and his wife and 2 kids did sort of the same thing. After a short stay at Lake Cuomo/Milan, they flew to Split where they chartered an 85 ft. yacht with full crew and spent 5 days/4 nights. But they only "explored" around Split. They loved it tho.... was in August and hot hot hot. When they wanted they stopped the boat and dove in :D

My brother in law and his wife and 2 kids did sort of the same thing. After a short stay at Lake Cuomo/Milan, they flew to Split where they chartered an 85 ft. yacht with full crew and spent 5 days/4 nights. But they only "explored" around Split. They loved it tho.... was in August and hot hot hot. When they wanted they stopped the boat and dove in :D

Texancruzer:

Too bad they didn't have the chance to go all the way down. We cruised all the way down the coast, with an overnight in Hvar, Mljet, Korcula, Sipan and finally Dubrovnik. When in Korcula we took the ferry to Orebic, my mother's birthplace, and had a lamb under the petka. This restaurant was originally an olive oil press business many years prior and still had the original old stone press.

Breakfast and lunch was on board the boat and dinner at our overnight spot. Being so close to the mainland and weaving in and out of the many islands was an incredible way to see the southern coastline.

There are many boats here offering these trips and one must be very careful when booking such a trip. Some owners claim to be Star boats, but are far from it. Cost is rather on the high side, but so worth it with a crew of 4 and total guests were only 12.

August is always the hottest month here and the busiest, especially mega cruisers. It's a shame they all seem to arrive on Saturday and Sunday as it not the best way to visit Dubrovnik with those kinds of crowds.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

croatian travelady...I know this is off topic...but if I have to choose between a cruise that stops in Split or Dubrovnik for one day, which would you recommend?

Thanks

Just answered that question on another post. I left California this past January and have been living here for one year. Have no desire to return to the US for anything other than to visit family and friends.

George Bernard Shaw is quoted as saying "If you want to find paradise on earth, go to Dubrovnik."

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

• 4 months later...

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

Hi Croatian Travelady - What "favorites" are you referring to in your message quoted above? I can't tell whether you're referring to the churches that large tour groups skip or your favorite tour companies? I ask because we will be visiting Dubrovnik mostly on our own so I would be interested in knowing your favorite churches. However, we are also considering taking a short walking tour of the city and wonder if you have any guide recommendations. Thanks!

All the Best,

Tammy :)

Hi Croatian Travelady - What "favorites" are you referring to in your message quoted above? I can't tell whether you're referring to the churches that large tour groups skip or your favorite tour companies? I ask because we will be visiting Dubrovnik mostly on our own so I would be interested in knowing your favorite churches. However, we are also considering taking a short walking tour of the city and wonder if you have any guide recommendations. Thanks!

All the Best,

Tammy :)

As I've mentioned before I cannot recommend any guides for Dubrovnik. Since I live here I am required to only advise on general information.

As I've mentioned before I cannot recommend any guides for Dubrovnik. Since I live here I am required to only advise on general information.

Yes, I have gotten that impression from reading past postings but your previous answer sounded different, which is why I asked for a clarification. I assume then that you were referring to your favorite churches that the tour guides skip. Could you share which churches those are. I'd like to try to visit some hidden gems. Thanks again!

Archived