Need Table Topics for Dinner

wolfpackmom

I am sailing with 15 members of my husband's family next week, and I could really use a cache of questions for our dinners together. A few in this group tend to talk about their jobs a lot, and I would really like for them to open up about different things that are a little more interesting.

In the past I have asked questions like "what was your favorite class in high school" or "what is your best family vacation memory" but I could use a few more ideas. I would love to hear some of your suggestions.

You will have lots to talk about. I don't imagine you will all be doing the same thing together every day. If you went to bingo and they went to a ships lecture ask them about it and the other things that they did. Talk about yours as well. Talk about the ship, the ports, the food or anything else that is about the vacation. Enjoy the trip.

Basically, look at it this way: people love to talk about themselves. It's just human nature. So ask them questions. I'm sure they'll ask you some back.

* How did you pick [your ship's name]? (first night's dinner only, obviously)

* What excursions do you have planned for the next port?

* How was your excursion today?

* How did you sleep last night? (if the ship had a late stay in a party port, possibly just for younger people)

* What do you have planned for tomorrow's port?

* How was your last cruise?

And so on, and so on.

One question I never ask about is "what do you do?", although I answer back if someone asks first. After all, I cruise so I can be LandlockedCruiser01 (replace with my real name, obviously), not "the IT guy".

For a real rip-snortin' lively discussion, sex, religion, and politics are sure-fire starters. Ending the conversation without bloodshed may be problematic...:rolleyes:

Discoveries aboard ship--great buys in the ship's store or such--that you can share with your tablemates, is a nice ice-breaker.

• 2 weeks later...

I try to steer far far away from conversations about politics and religion. If someone starts one of these conversations I try to politely change the topic. Folks who cruise often love to travel on land also so I usually just ask about their other travel experiences.

I have some very random question suggestions, there was no train of thought or theme here!

• What are some of their dream vacations
  • What is their favorite room in their house, why
  • Have they ever been on a nightmare of a vacation
  • If they could move to a different country would they do it and where would it be
  • What is the one technology they couldn't live without
  • Favorite family memories are always good and can go on forever
  • Pets
  • Funniest thing their kids have ever done
  • Most fun thing they've ever done with their spouse/family

Ask others at the table, how many of them plan on removing their tips and then giving $ in person. Make sure to tell them to do this on the last evening of the cruise.

Tell them about all those rum-runners that you smuggled onboard.

Share that you brought speakers for your balcony and you will turn the volume up if they want to hear your great music selections, heck, invite them over for shot or two.

Brag about the new gold studded shorts and matching top that you plan on wearing to elegant night.

and.... lastly, pull out a zippy bag and ask how many of them would mind sharing their leftovers.

If this doesn't get the conversation going, nothing will.

:D

No.... seriously, just go and have a great time and let the conversation flow naturally. If someone turns it into a hot-topic, then perhaps gently try to steer it back to something that everyone at the table can relate to, such as ports of call, ship activities etc.....

Have a great time. :):)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you like them and want to have a pleasing conversation, ask about their pets, excursions, what they are having the most fun doing on the cruise.

If you don't like them, start the conversation by saying "I smoke, I drink heavily and tip heavily. I don't wear underwear and I don't believe in washing my hands after using the bathroom. I practice a pagan religion and I have a pentagon etched in ashes on my balcony. I have a voodoo doll of each tablemate in my cabin, just in case. I'd like to have a hair from each of your heads, please. Pass the bread basket"

• 3 months later...

Pets, excursions, favorite foods, past vacations, favorite places to vacation. We were stuck with a couple that gave us a complete history on their investments when we asked where they were from. When we tried to switch the subject to our children, they launched into the investments of their grown children. I was almost at the point of chewing my own tongue off to get out of spending anymore time with them. Thank goodness it was only at breakfast ONE morning.

• 4 months later...
If you like them and want to have a pleasing conversation, ask about their pets, excursions, what they are having the most fun doing on the cruise.

If you don't like them, start the conversation by saying "I smoke, I drink heavily and tip heavily. I don't wear underwear and I don't believe in washing my hands after using the bathroom. I practice a pagan religion and I have a pentagon etched in ashes on my balcony. I have a voodoo doll of each tablemate in my cabin, just in case. I'd like to have a hair from each of your heads, please. Pass the bread basket"

Best suggestions on this thread! Love each and every one of them. The only things I could add is that you are a chair hog, push every button for every floor when you get on the elevator and tend to miss the public toilets on board, making the area around the toilet a bit slippery, so they need to be careful. I wish I had thought of these on one particular cruise when we were seated with two couples who pretentious snobs. Oh why didn't I have your suggestions then???

• 3 months later...

Great topic! I am laughing because it reminds me of a cruise we took some years back where our table mates asked us not to dine with them anymore. It seems the Maître D might not have met their expectations when he matched us up. (Single mother and 11 year old, grandmother and 8 year old.) Of course, we chose to show up each night! I continued to attempt polite conversation. I would have enjoyed having this list of suggestions....

Id like to have you at my table

You would be fun

I also find good talking points are best off personal bases

Such as

Most memorable trip

Most weird thing seen on holiday

Discussion on various holiday destinations

Shore tours for upcoming ports

Ask advice on things gets good conversation

Why they picked that cruise in particular

They all work well

And keep off all forms of religion and politics especially ship board politics

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 4 weeks later...

We were matched with another couple for our meals on the Disney Fantasy. Although I don't think that we had a lot in common, we had a blast with them! I think that as someone suggests here - just let it happen. The most common topics I think were 1) what did we do during the day, 2) experiences around the house, 3) future vacation plans, 4) highlights of past vacations, 5) the food......

At anat rate, don't worry - be yourself!

• 4 months later...

So we're English and we love to chat to American people and I always opt for a large table at dinner.

Are there any taboo topics we shouldn't discuss? Obviously Politics and Religion could top the list.

I like to ask : "What do you do in your spare time?" I avoid asking it as a job question as employment doesn't really tell much and while not offensive in itself...it's not really showing interest in the person.

These questions let you feel out their willingness to talk etc. You will then have a green, yellow or red light on which to continue the conversation. Once you have that...and set your internal filter to match it....you can let the conversation flow naturally. :)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Forums mobile app