LAX ..but we want to TOUR LA as well as Cruise...

1newf1not

HI!!

Hope someone can give us advice:

We are crusing Dec. 10th...since we fly in from Canada...we are booked to arrive at LAX on the 9th.

ADVICE PLEASE: We can get a great rate near the airport. We have the late afternoon and evening of the 9th...we cruise on the 10th......and the cruise docks on the 18th...so if we get off early on the 18th we have most of the 18th to do stuff ...and we would leave on the 19th early morning.

#1 Is the 9th going to be useless for touring since its already mid afternoon?

#2 Should we get off the boat early....go to a hotel....and tour the 18th?

We leave too early on the 19th to do anything.....and WHAT hotel area shoudl we aim to be around?????

Any websites or suggestions we can look into to??? we would love to see some of the area by tour bus (maybe on the 9th??)....and if POSSIBLE....go to Universal Studios (maybe on the 18th??) (but we think time is a major issuse for the 18th tour)

We would LOVE any help!! :)

Check out http://www.starlinetours.com - if you dont want to rent a car, they have tons of options.

I recently got a quote from supershuttle for a shuttle from the pier to Studio City area hotel (our fave - SPortsmens Lodge) and it was about $70 for 2 of us, which I didn't think was too bad.

Have you booked your flights? You could fly into LAX and out of burbank - burbank is closer to Universal. Sportsments Lodge is truly an amazing place with the best pool I have ever been in at a hotel (its HUGE and like swimming in soup its so warm!). They have a free shuttle to the airport and Universal.

If I were you, I would be inclined to get off the ship, rent a car or take shuttle up to the sportsmens, and base from there to do Universal. Or base from there and do an LA tour and go to Citywalk at night - its a fun place.

Then the next day take their free shuttle to the burbank airport.

HI!!

Hope someone can give us advice:

We are crusing Dec. 10th...since we fly in from Canada...we are booked to arrive at LAX on the 9th.

ADVICE PLEASE: We can get a great rate near the airport. We have the late afternoon and evening of the 9th...we cruise on the 10th......and the cruise docks on the 18th...so if we get off early on the 18th we have most of the 18th to do stuff ...and we would leave on the 19th early morning.

#1 Is the 9th going to be useless for touring since its already mid afternoon?

#2 Should we get off the boat early....go to a hotel....and tour the 18th?

We leave too early on the 19th to do anything.....and WHAT hotel area shoudl we aim to be around?????

Any websites or suggestions we can look into to??? we would love to see some of the area by tour bus (maybe on the 9th??)....and if POSSIBLE....go to Universal Studios (maybe on the 18th??) (but we think time is a major issuse for the 18th tour)

We would LOVE any help!! :)

Okay...I'll try my best here...

The biggest problem you will have in touring LA is that you have no "complete" days--if I get your schedule correct...You have only late afternoon/evening on the 9th, the morning before you get on the ship on the 10th and the longest period of time is after getting off the ship on the 18th...

Without a "full" day somewhere, most tour companies' offerings are likely out of the question...

Also, realize that the distances in Los Angeles are quite great...

The pier (the one most of the lines other than Carnival use) are in San Pedro, a full 20 miles south of LAX...Universal City is in a complete other direction--20 miles North/Northeast...

For your one night stay in each direction, a hotel near LAX is fine...You'll want to keep with the major chains, though...on Century Blvd., adjacent to LAX...Don't fall for "LAX area" and ending up in Inglewood or anywhere East of the 405...and you'll likely need a rental car...and, of course, the problem will be picking one up at LAX and dropping it off the next day in San Pedro--I'll defer t others writing on that issue...

With only late afternoon and evening, you may want to stick with things closer to LAX...You could check in, then head up to Venice Beach fo a stroll along the boardwalk...then to Santa Monica, visit the Pier and have some dinner, then stroll along the Third Street Promenade...or, if you have a specific nightlife interest, you can find just about anything somewere in LA...

Return to your hotel...and depending what time you want to board your ship, you might consider just heading down to Pedro at your leisure...

When you return on the 18th, you may want to check back into a hotel and head right up to Universal...You can stop on your way, if you want at the typical touris sites in Hollywood--Grauman's Chinese, the "Walk of Fame", then up to Universal for the rest of the day...You can eat at one of the touristy restaurants on Citywalk...or go to one of my favorites in the area-Micelli's on Cahuenga--just across the 101 from Universal--with the singing waiters...

Back to your LAX hotel so you can wake up early for your flight home...

Goo luck...

Bruin spelled it out very accurately. For those not familiar at all with Los Angelas, you also have Los Angelas County. We are 2 1/2 hours east of Los Angelas and in many areas of So Calif one is looking at 1 to 2 hrs of driving. My sister lives in Huntington Beach and is about 45 min from LAX. San Pedro the LA Port is closer to Long Beach.

I would go to web site, Live Search or any map site and type in your cities to see milages. Also if you have an exact Hotel Location then others could better guide you around the area.

Enjoy your stay and Cruise.

Agree with Steve about staying close to LAX post-cruise if you have an early flight. That's for a Wednesday morning. If you stay near Universal City, you'll have to go on the 101 freeway to the 405 freeway and down to the airport. There may be some lighter traffic than usual at this time of year for part of the drive because many people take off for holiday vacations, but that will be offset by many people driving to the airport for their flights, especially that close to Christmas.

In fact, when we had an early morning flight the day after we got married, we stayed at the LAX Marriott for the night. It was a quick shuttle over to our terminal.

Speaking of weddings and Micelli's, that's where we held our rehearsal dinner, and our first anniversary dinner. Very nice.

• 2 years later...
Hi,

We will be in LA in two weeks for a few days after our cruise.

Does anyone know where the best shopping is?

We need some suggestions. We are staying in West Hollywood.

Thanks!

What are you looking to buy? Are you looking for Rodeo Drive type of shopping, regular mall shopping or Venice beach (street vendor) type shopping?

Hi,

We will be in LA in two weeks for a few days after our cruise.

Does anyone know where the best shopping is?

We need some suggestions. We are staying in West Hollywood.

Thanks!

All depends on what you are shopping for...

In the West Hollywood area, there are some favorites...

The trendiest shopping area in LA, maybe the world is Melrose Avenue:

http://www.seeing-stars.com/shop/melrose.shtml

My 20-something daughters swear by it...This is where you find the funky, one-of-a-kind shops...the ones all the show biz celebs shop in...

For the very traditional sort of shopping--the big, enclosed mall--it's Beverly Center:

http://www.beverlycenter.com/

http://www.seeing-stars.com/shop/beverlycenter.shtml

For a really cool shopping experience...also upscale mall stuff, but the coolest set-up and architecture, head down to the Grove...which includes the original LA Farmers' Market:

http://www.thegrovela.com/

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

http://www.seeing-stars.com/shop/Grove.shtml

That should be a start...

All depends on what you are shopping for...

In the West Hollywood area, there are some favorites...

The trendiest shopping area in LA, maybe the world is Melrose Avenue:

http://www.seeing-stars.com/shop/melrose.shtml

My 20-something daughters swear by it...This is where you find the funky, one-of-a-kind shops...the ones all the show biz celebs shop in...

For the very traditional sort of shopping--the big, enclosed mall--it's Beverly Center:

http://www.beverlycenter.com/

http://www.seeing-stars.com/shop/beverlycenter.shtml

For a really cool shopping experience...also upscale mall stuff, but the coolest set-up and architecture, head down to the Grove...which includes the original LA Farmers' Market:

http://www.thegrovela.com/

http://www.farmersmarketla.com/

http://www.seeing-stars.com/shop/Grove.shtml

That should be a start...

That is awesome thank you.

We are looking for your traditional shopping. The girls are 16. We are only in LA for 3 days, one of them will be spent at Universal Studios.

Some like the Fashion District in downtown L.A. for bargains. http://losangeles.citysearch.com/list/94681 The biggest outlet malls, such as in Camarillo, Ontario and Cabazon, are probably too far for you. I've heard there's one in the City of Industry or City of Commerce, but have never been. I'd ask your hotel.

Problem with the day your cruise ends is you want to take a tour but also need someplace to leave your bags. If you don't mind driving in heavy traffic, you might look into renting a car in the Long Beach area and driving to places you want to see. You could, for example, take a movie studio tour: the best are probably Warner Brothers, in Burbank (near Universal Studios, which I think is mainly an amusement park), or Sony Studios (formerly MGM), in Culver City, not terribly far from LAX. I don't know that the traffic and parking in downtown Hollywood itself would make a visit there worthwhile, given what's really there. I can see the appeal of staying near LAX again that day (I've done it), but then you'd need to get to the hotel early enough to take a tour (assuming there is one that picks you up there-- I'd phone your hotel in advance to ask if this is possible and whether you need to reserve in advance). Does the cruise line offer tours of L.A. that pick you up from the port? Presumably your bags would be taken care of. You could even stay at a hotel in Long Beach, so you'd have someplace to leave your bags during a tour, but then you'd need to get up earlier the day of your flight.

Back to the day you arrive, unless your hotel can tell you about tours you could get in the afternoon (a long shot), I'd just bank on relaxing that day, maybe going to the Santa Monica Pier area. Unless you can have enough time to leave your bags at your hotel and take a taxi for a tour at Sony Studios. According to http://www.sonypicturesstudiostours.com/, the last tour is at 2:30. Your hotel may be a source of info.

Just noticed you're going to Universal Studios, presumably the day the cruise ends. I doubt you'd have time for much else. I assume you'll drive, otherwise you'd need to go toyour hotel first, and take a taxi (you could ge there by bus and light rail or subway but it would take a long time). I don't think you'd have time for much if any shopping, though if you have a car and don't mind fighting rush hour traffic (or just waiting for rush hour to end), you could drop by Beverly Hills or Hollywood, or a mall never Universal City, before you head to your hotel.

One idea that might cost some bucks in taxi and make for a long day: stay near Universal City the day you arrive (there's a Hilton and Sheraton right outside the park). Take a taxi or shuttle (Super Shuttle or Prime Time) or taxi from LAX, unless you can arrange to land at nearby Burbank Airport instead. Won't be cheap. Spend the afternoon and evening at Universal Studios (assumng they're open that evening). Take a taxi or shuttle to the port the next day. You could do the reverse on the day the cruise ends, but going from Unviersal to LAX in the morning would be a hassle.

Some like the Fashion District in downtown L.A. for bargains. http://losangeles.citysearch.com/list/94681 The biggest outlet malls, such as in Camarillo, Ontario and Cabazon, are probably too far for you. I've heard there's one in the City of Industry or City of Commerce, but have never been. I'd ask your hotel.

Regarding tours from an LAX area hotel...

Fattony, you may not have noticed, but the original post was from way back in 2007...so we're not really dealing with the LAX tour question anymore...Grover just attached onto this thread with the question about shopping...Grover is actually staying in WEST HOLLYWOOD....BTW, I would have no problem going into Hollywood proper at night...It's a little weird at times, a little different...but, especially around the tourist centers, it's safe (yeah, don't wander off into dark alleys in a strange city anywhere)...There is lots of nightlife in Hollywood--clubs, music venues, legitimate theater, restaurants...The area around Hollywood and Highland is not bad at night...nor is the Hollywood Bowl...I've been to both at night on multiple occasions...oh, and to the Pantages for musicals...

Back to shopping...

I would forget "outlet" malls...For various economic/legal reasons, most outlet malls are in very outlying areas--certain retailers who are staples in your mainstream malls have clauses in their leases and in their distribution contracts which pretty much rule out anyone selling similar products via outlet stores within a large radius of the mall locations...That's why one needs to travel all the way to Camarillo or Cabazon or Lake Elsinore or Barstow for an Outlet Mall (Grover, these are all 1.5 to 3 hours in each direction from where you will be).

The one in City of Industry (still about an hour away) is just flat-out not very nice...and it's in a very seedy, very industrial part of the city (why they could put it there is that there is nothing in the way of nice retail anywhere nearby). It is called the "Citadel" and the only thing good I can say about it is that it is inside the exterior walls of what is an historic site in Los Angeles. The walls are what remains of the old Uniroyal Tire Factory (Originally the "Samson Tire and Rubber Company")--which was built to resemble the palace of King Sargon II of Assyria at his capital city, Khorsabad...It was built in 1928...It was used as the backdrop in the filming of "Ben Hur"...The plant closed in 1978, but the facade was preserved as an Historical Monument...The Outlet Mall was built inside the preserved walls...Other than the historical significance, there is little to recommend the mall or to merit driving all the way freom West Hollywood and back...

For "traditional shopping", I would go first to the Grove...Not only is the mall pretty cool, there are LOTS of good restaurants...I like both Wood Ranch and Maggiano's right in the Grove complex...and an LA Institution, Canter's Deli, is right up Fairfax a couple of blocks...

http://www.cantersdeli.com/

This is one of the most famous eateries in LA...and a hangout for actors and rock stars (CBS Studios is on Fairfax between here and the Grove and Fairfax High School, a little further up the street is where a whole slew of Rock Stars went to High School, including the members of Guns 'n' Roses and Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lenny Kravitz, Warren Zevon and others...Slash just held a fundraiser concert at Canter's a couple of weeks ago for something or another...The late Frank Zappa used to be a "regular" at Canter's...

And, yes, of course, assuming you can afford to do anything more than window shop there, Rodeo Drive is reasonably close to West Hollywood as well...

Fattony, you may not have noticed, but the original post was from way back in 2007...so we're not really dealing with the LAX tour question anymore...Grover just attached onto this thread with the question about shopping...Grover is actually staying in WEST HOLLYWOOD....BTW, I would have no problem going into Hollywood proper at night...It's a little weird at times, a little different...but, especially around the tourist centers, it's safe (yeah, don't wander off into dark alleys in a strange city anywhere)...There is lots of nightlife in Hollywood--clubs, music venues, legitimate theater, restaurants...The area around Hollywood and Highland is not bad at night...nor is the Hollywood Bowl...I've been to both at night on multiple occasions...oh, and to the Pantages for musicals...

Back to shopping...

I would forget "outlet" malls...For various economic/legal reasons, most outlet malls are in very outlying areas--certain retailers who are staples in your mainstream malls have clauses in their leases and in their distribution contracts which pretty much rule out anyone selling similar products via outlet stores within a large radius of the mall locations...That's why one needs to travel all the way to Camarillo or Cabazon or Lake Elsinore or Barstow for an Outlet Mall (Grover, these are all 1.5 to 3 hours in each direction from where you will be).

The one in City of Industry (still about an hour away) is just flat-out not very nice...and it's in a very seedy, very industrial part of the city (why they could put it there is that there is nothing in the way of nice retail anywhere nearby). It is called the "Citadel" and the only thing good I can say about it is that it is inside the exterior walls of what is an historic site in Los Angeles. The walls are what remains of the old Uniroyal Tire Factory (Originally the "Samson Tire and Rubber Company")--which was built to resemble the palace of King Sargon II of Assyria at his capital city, Khorsabad...It was built in 1928...It was used as the backdrop in the filming of "Ben Hur"...The plant closed in 1978, but the facade was preserved as an Historical Monument...The Outlet Mall was built inside the preserved walls...Other than the historical significance, there is little to recommend the mall or to merit driving all the way freom West Hollywood and back...

For "traditional shopping", I would go first to the Grove...Not only is the mall pretty cool, there are LOTS of good restaurants...I like both Wood Ranch and Maggiano's right in the Grove complex...and an LA Institution, Canter's Deli, is right up Fairfax a couple of blocks...

http://www.cantersdeli.com/

This is one of the most famous eateries in LA...and a hangout for actors and rock stars (CBS Studios is on Fairfax between here and the Grove and Fairfax High School, a little further up the street is where a whole slew of Rock Stars went to High School, including the members of Guns 'n' Roses and Red Hot Chili Peppers, Lenny Kravitz, Warren Zevon and others...Slash just held a fundraiser concert at Canter's a couple of weeks ago for something or another...The late Frank Zappa used to be a "regular" at Canter's...

And, yes, of course, assuming you can afford to do anything more than window shop there, Rodeo Drive is reasonably close to West Hollywood as well...

Thank you everyone, you have been a great help. We are in LA for 3 days. We are still very much in our planning stages, you answers on shopping have been a great help.

I really like the idea of possibly seeing someone famous. :-)

You may want to check out the cost of taxis in LA. Hopefully it won't be too expensive from West Hollywood to Universal.

BTW, to add to Steve's info, Frank Zappa's office used to be up on Sunset Blvd. near Fairfax/Crescent Heights. In the late 80s, the office I used to work in moved to the house that Barking Pumpkins had rented when Zappa was alive.

As for shopping, I don't think teen aged girls want to go all the way to the garment district to shop. Besides the time involved in going downtown, it really is a hassle. And if his teenaged girls are like my daughter (who just turned 13), they would rather go to places like Forever 21 (which is at the Grove and some other malls).

Archived