Alaska camera gear

I would suggest a rain bag. And, practice putting it on your camera. Getting caught in a sudden rain shower is not the time to be reading the instructions on how to properly insert your camera.

If you go the entire cruise with out using it, no problem, it did not take up much room to carry it in you pocket. However, if it rains and your camera is tucked away under your coat to keep it dry when an Orca jumps out of the water in plain sight, that is a problem.

Bob

1> Long lens!

2> As noted, rain cover. The think tanks are excellent but pricey, I would carry at least a simple storm jacket.

3> Two more extra batteries than you think you need

4> Double the memory cards you think you will need (I strongly recommend changing cards daily)

Remember if you do not have a excellent long lens they can be rented for low cash

Another vote for renting. Ultra-wide can also be useful. I usually rent the 600 for Alaska, but you'd probably be plenty happy with a 100-400 (and they're a lot less expensive to rent).

The camera fitted rain covers, I find to be a pain. I just go for under the coat. If you don't travel with a laptop to download your pictures at the end of the day, plenty of extra memory cards. My last Alaskan cruise I shot 1500 photos. I nice big telephoto is nice. But a telephoto lens that works close in works really well. No need to be changing lens all the time, unles you have two camera bodies.

That's why I go with a Storm Jacket for travel. Not quite as good as the ThinkTanks but generally more than sufficient, packs small and can handle pretty much any configuration...

The camera fitted rain covers, I find to be a pain. I just go for under the coat. If you don't travel with a laptop to download your pictures at the end of the day, plenty of extra memory cards. My last Alaskan cruise I shot 1500 photos. I nice big telephoto is nice. But a telephoto lens that works close in works really well. No need to be changing lens all the time, unles you have two camera bodies.

They should. They come in different sizes. I typically carry a medium which will fit my D500 with up to a 300MM lens or so on it. A small might cover yours...

Note that its not meant for extended use in extreme conditions, its for "Crap, I am caught in the rain for a while and need to protect my camera..

I have a Nikon bridge camera, i'm taking to Alaska. Would one of those storm jackets work on that kind of camera?

I have sailed Alaska many times.

I would bring a waterproof bag for the camera and not rely on putting it under your jacket.

If you have a point and shoot camera I would bring it should be a relatively rainy day in port.

And if you are traveling with someone bring an umbrella. That way if you are in port and it is raining the other person can hold an umbrella over you while you take photos.

I agree with other suggestions such as a long lens but one that will not weigh the camera down too much while in port.

Additional memory cards are important no matter where you travel.

Have a great time.

The thing about Alaska is that you never quite know what the weather will be like.

Keith

The longest lens you can bring in addition to a shorter or wide angle lens. I carry a rain sleeve but have only used it a couple times. Usually if it’s raining that hard I’m not taking many photos and have a small point and shoot for those days.

I’ve never had a battery run out during the day but have a spare just in case. I do bring my charger that I use nightly. If you bring a laptop or some other storage device that you can transfer photos to each evening you won’t need a ton of memory cards although at least one back up is good. That is, if your memory cards are large enough. At least 16GB each. They’re cheap now. I use two 32 GB in the camera plus a backup.

1>

3> Two more extra batteries than you think you need

4> Double the memory cards you think you will need (I strongly recommend changing cards daily)

Never understood the extra battery thing. If you are using a DSLR you should be able to go all day on a full charge. I got 2 full days in Europe and AK on a charge and still had about 25% left. I charged it every other night while I ate dinner.

I only bring 2 cards and both are in the camera. I download every night to my laptop (and after I dump the out of focus shots, missed shots and garbage ones) then backup the files to an external HD I bring. Put the cards back in the camera and reformat and ready to go for the next day.

I am also wondering what all to bring. Right now it looks like I can squeeze my 100-400, 70-200 & 16-35 with my 7DII in my sling bag. Also have a 7D for back up, along with plenty of batteries & cards. My concern is taking a travel tripod & monopod might be too much to try and pack.I am also ordering a Lens Coat Rain Coat to cover the camera & lens.

We are doing the 6 day land tour first. Someone told me that on the bus excursion history tour from Denali didn't have many times to get off to photo the wildlife. Mostly shoot through the windows on the bus. Has anyone done the land excursions & is there places to get out to take pictures. I hate packing all that equipment to take pictures out of a bus window. We are 2 days each at Fairbanks, Denali & Mt.McKinley. Any thoughts?

I am also wondering what all to bring. Right now it looks like I can squeeze my 100-400, 70-200 & 16-35 with my 7DII in my sling bag. Also have a 7D for back up, along with plenty of batteries & cards. My concern is taking a travel tripod & monopod might be too much to try and pack.I am also ordering a Lens Coat Rain Coat to cover the camera & lens.

We are doing the 6 day land tour first. Someone told me that on the bus excursion history tour from Denali didn't have many times to get off to photo the wildlife. Mostly shoot through the windows on the bus. Has anyone done the land excursions & is there places to get out to take pictures. I hate packing all that equipment to take pictures out of a bus window. We are 2 days each at Fairbanks, Denali & Mt.McKinley. Any thoughts?

Have FUN (y) :cool:

I take a tripod and mono pod to AK. Only take the tripod when I have a balcony. The monopod is perfect to carry and use when needed with my 400mm. With rare exception of twice, the tripod stays on the ship.

framer

Don't do the natural history tour, upgrade to the Tundra Wilderness. You will have a much better photo experience -- like this guy:

DSC_3245_edited-1-X2.jpg

(Actually the driver said seeing them that close was super rare, but it happens).

Honestly, unless you plan to do some long exposure you can probably survive without the Tripod (I might want one for glacier bay just to hold the camera up over time). You won't use it on the Denali bus trip (either one). I used a gorillapod for stabilization.

With the gear I have now I would probably take my Sirui monpod (which has the extendable foot base so it can freestand to a point) OR my lighter travel tripod but probably not both.

Here's our pics from (eep) 8 years ago. Denali starts at the Bear and ends at room with ceiling fan. These were with a D40x I think and I think an 18-200something kit lens back when I was just starting in photography.

Never understood the extra battery thing. If you are using a DSLR you should be able to go all day on a full charge. I got 2 full days in Europe and AK on a charge and still had about 25% left. I charged it every other night while I ate dinner.

I only bring 2 cards and both are in the camera. I download every night to my laptop (and after I dump the out of focus shots, missed shots and garbage ones) then backup the files to an external HD I bring. Put the cards back in the camera and reformat and ready to go for the next day.

Batteries for mirrorless cameras do not last as long as the ones in dSLRs.

DON

Also, temperatures have an impact. Shooting on a glacier in alaska will drain em a lot quicker than say the Panama Canal.

I also had a battery fail on me once mid shoot. So I always carry at least 2, not like they are heavy...

As far as cards, I prefer shooting one per day, taking out and locking them. Helps me organize them when back too.

I guess I'll trade the battery weight for the external HD weight (that and I usually only take a tablet on vacation)

Batteries for mirrorless cameras do not last as long as the ones in dSLRs.

DON