Sound proof

johnnie1uk

I have had no problems with sound coming from the outside corridors.

Adjoining cabins, however, are a different story. The doors are really not very soundproof. We were unfortunate enough to have very noisy people next to us. They fought a lot, and did other extremely noisy things as well. Enough to wake me from a sound sleep, and I am a very heavy sleeper.

If you can avoid connecting cabins with strangers, do so.

Since I have traveled a lot over the past years, I take a MARPAC "white noise" machine for sleeping. It maintains a constant sound no matter where you are attempting to sleep.

It failed only once when the folks in the next room were attending a high school band competition and thought that practicing would be best done at 2:00 AM.

For cruise purposes, it is perfect.

Prices range from $50 - $130. The more expensive ones have seagulls, waterfalls, rain, etc add-ons.

There are "Apps" for smart phones that will do soothing sounds to go to sleep and stay asleep. They are only a couple of bucks each such as SleepMachine for the iPhone. They include the ability to choose what types of sounds and how many you want mixed together at what level and timers to turn them off after X amount of time. They do work with the phone in Airplane Mode which it should be when on any ship not in port.

Mostly I hear cabin doors when they slam shut. I never hear anyone talking or the TV from the cabins next door. If you have a public area above or below you, you might hear some noise.

Ditto......maybe in the hallway once or twice but never inside our cabin? Hmm?

Just do not book under the jogging track or basketball courts, friends did hear some "noise"/pounding on their deck a few times :D

On my last cruise, I had trouble sleeping sometimes because I could hear the people next door snoring or watching tv. Fortunately, I discovered that if I laid on my side, I could hear the hum of the engine below me, and this helped drown out the other noises and helped me fall asleep.

Since I have traveled a lot over the past years, I take a MARPAC "white noise" machine for sleeping. It maintains a constant sound no matter where you are attempting to sleep.

It failed only once when the folks in the next room were attending a high school band competition and thought that practicing would be best done at 2:00 AM.

For cruise purposes, it is perfect.

Prices range from $50 - $130. The more expensive ones have seagulls, waterfalls, rain, etc add-ons.

You can also get a white noise app for your iPad!

Mostly I hear cabin doors when they slam shut. I never hear anyone talking or the TV from the cabins next door. If you have a public area above or below you, you might hear some noise.

Balcony cabins can actually get noise from loud talkers having their early morning coffee out on the balcony. We were in a suite and had this. Also I hear connecting room showers. I think the most noise comes from inconsiderate people coming down the hallways. "Some people were raised while othes were just products of the breeding process."

I never wake up by noise, or it has to be really, really loud. When I cruised with my colleagues, we shared a stateroom with 2 people. Whenever my roommate took a shower (he's kind of an early riser and I'm not) I just slept through it. One morning when they asked who woke up because of some loud teens in the hallway, everyone raised their hands, but me.

If there's going to be an emergency when I'm asleep, I really really hope I'll hear the alarm :p

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our cruise, the only noise we encountered was the hum of the engine, being our first cruise dont know if this is normal, our cabin was midships, interior....though the first night we did try to sleep with the aircon on and didnt find the switch till next morning :o

Archived