Piraeus X80 Express Bus to Athens

bvocruise

We used the X80 bus last month. We were docked at Terminal B. Just wanted to share a few thoughts/our experience to hopefully help others:

- we bought our ticket before getting on the bus. They had a ticket booth at the bus stop which made it very easy. There were quite a few people boarding the bus and had people bought tickets from the driver it would have slowed down the boarding process.

- the ticket states you have to validate your ticket or could risk a fine. There was only one validation machine on the bus (in the back) and most people didn't validate their tickets.

-the bus was crowded. We had to stand both on the way into Athens and on the way back to the ship.

It was a very cheap and easy way to get into Athens and if we return we'll be taking the bus again.

I just found this online, while trying to determine the timetable for off-peak travel:

http://www.oasa.gr/news.php?id=funk99

FROM SUNDAY 1/11/2015 BUS LINE X80 WILL BE SUSPENDED

Does anyone know if this is permanent or just the winter? The alternative that I can see is the Red/Green HOHO bus but it doesn't have great hours Nov-Mar

• 1 month later...
September 2015 I highly recommend taking the X80 bus to Athens from the Port of Piraeus. It takes about 30 minutes, and costs 4Euro (it's an all day pass). Get your bus ticket before you get on the bus. There are bus stops at Terminal A and Terminal B - very convenient. The bus stops in Athens near the Acropolis, and at Syntagma Square. If you are not sure where your stop is - let the bus driver know. Attached are pictures of the bus stop at Terminal B, and of the bus stop sign for the return to Piraeus, near the Acropolis. The bus runs daily.

Thanks so much for the info and the photos. We will be in Athens in May and will be docked from 4am to 8pm as it's an embarkation/disembarkation stop, however will be there as a port stop. Do you have any idea how far of a walk it is from the Acropolis bus stop to the entrance to the Acropolis?

Thanks.

We used this bus on our port day in Piraeus/Athens last October. Getting to the stop early was key to beating the crowds to the Acropolis. We had over an hour with not a lot of people until the ship's tours started arriving.

We found the bus system very easy to use and the bus driver was very helpful with answering questions and pointing out where the stop was for our return trip later in the day.

The bus drops you right across from the street that runs up by the Acropolis ticket entrance and it was maybe a 15 minute leisurely walk from the stop.

I just posted about our trip to Athens on my cruise blog. I included photos of the bus stops and ticket booth that may help you if you are docking in the same area.

Enjoy!

We used this bus on our port day in Piraeus/Athens last October. Getting to the stop early was key to beating the crowds to the Acropolis. We had over an hour with not a lot of people until the ship's tours started arriving.

We found the bus system very easy to use and the bus driver was very helpful with answering questions and pointing out where the stop was for our return trip later in the day.

The bus drops you right across from the street that runs up by the Acropolis ticket entrance and it was maybe a 15 minute leisurely walk from the stop.

I just posted about our trip to Athens on my cruise blog. I included photos of the bus stops and ticket booth that may help you if you are docking in the same area.

Enjoy!

Some great information in your blog Ice Queen..looks almost like everything we want to do, think I'm just going to follow your directions :-)

We are overnight in Athens, so taking the early X80 from the ship for the first day is what we want to do too, then just need something to fill in our 2nd day..we are planning on staying in Athens for dinner, I'll need to check the X80 timetable or maybe even a taxi.

Deb

• 3 months later...

We were in Pireaus last month and I decided to spend part of the day taking a long walk (about 10 miles) since DW did not feel like going into Athens (we have been there many times). When I past the X80 bus stop the schedule was blocked by a notice that the X80 was discontinued (they had the final date which I recall was sometime late last year). There was no indication, at the bus stop, whether the service would be started in the future. But another CC poster said that the bus started running again sometime last week.

As to Plan B's, one could take the Green Line train from Pireaus to Athens (we have done this many times). If you do not like the long walk to the train station, there are some public bus lines (the #941 bus comes to mind) that will take you from near the port to the station. Another option is to join with others and share a taxi. And finally, there is always the HoHo bus (it leaves from just outside the port) although this actually costs more then a taxi if you simply want to go from point A to point B.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We used it in late May. Worked as described. Tickets from driver. Day pass 4Euro. Depending where you are docked it may be a little difficult to find the dock stop. We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam so just walked out the gate in the fence, which is closed later as passengers have to exit Athens through the port authority terminal. Walked to the road, crossed over the road and grass median,walked a short bit to the left and saw the sign. The sign was not prominent. There were only 4 people using the service the day we went when we left the dock and 2 coming back. We did the drop-off for the Acropolis Museum .

I hope people discover and use this service as it was great. We have used the metro before and this was so much nicer and more stress free. Of course since the ticket is a day pass for all transport in town you aren't limited to using the service both ways.

See you Soon

Which pier were you at 1 or 2?

We docked at gate E12 or cruise terminal B which just outside the terminal across the road had a bus stop and kiosk which to purchase a ticket or you could just get a ticket from driver. This is the furthest terminal where the biggest ships will dock. The first bus will leave from here at 7am

Is there a map where the x80 bus stops are marked in Athens? We plan on taking the bus to the Acropolis and pick up the return bus from somewhere in the city (Maybe Syntagma square?). I have been to Athens once before and sort of know my wayaround, but not without a map :p

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Not sure about a map, but last summer I found a thread on here with good instructions, and for one of terminal, pictures.. We ended up not taking the bus, so I never used them, though. In Athens, at least where we docked, we had to take a port shuttle bus to get to the outside of the port. It wasn't a long ride, but just thought I'd mention it, as it did add a little time to our getaway.

Is there a map where the x80 bus stops are marked in Athens? We plan on taking the bus to the Acropolis and pick up the return bus from somewhere in the city (Maybe Syntagma square?). I have been to Athens once before and sort of know my wayaround, but not without a map :p

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Forums mobile app

Hi there

A map can be found online using this link-

www.oasa.gr/pdf/X80_1_en.pdf

My husband and I have used this bus twice on previous cruises and have always got on and off at the Acropolis stop. One comment I would make is that we waited almost 50 minutes in the late afternoon sunshine last June for the return bus back to Piraeus and were on the verge of calling a taxi. I would be interested to know if any other recent CC users have had similar experiences? My parents are visiting Athens on their August cruise and I know they would struggle physically with the heat if this happened to them.

We just returned from the Carnival Vista. We were docked at Terminal B and the X80 bus stop is right across the street as soon as you exit the terminal. We could see the bus stop from our balcony. So if you are docked at Terminal B, it's a short walk to the Terminal and the X80 bus stop.

Unfortunately for us, the buses and the metro were on strike the day we were in Athens so we had to take a Carnival bus to the Acropolis. Where we were dropped off was with walking distance to the Acroplolis and the Platka.

Edited by mississauga

This is great! Thank you so much!

I will be in Athens when we disembark from the Carnival Vista. Does anyone have a recommendation for a shuttle from the port to Athens airport?? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

We have a half-day tour with a roll call group, but we want to stay in Athens until about 3:30 p.m. and take the Express Bus 80 back to the ship. Where

EXACTLY does the #80 stop near Syntagma Square for the return trip? Will we be able to get the tickets from the driver, or is there a place to buy the 4.50 E tickets near the stop?