New Orleams/memphis Weather?

lyndarra

G'day. We're from Down Under and are considering a 9 day Mississippi R. cruise with the American Steamboat Company.

We would like to know what sort of weather to expect about November.

Also anything else we should know about this type of cruise? We have only ever done ocean cruising.

Is it possible to edit a typo in the heading? Orleans.

Edited by lyndarra
Typo in Title

I have not done this cruise, but wanted to point out that this is an easy drive and you would be much more on your own time table.. I would consider just flying into Memphis then doing the drive down to NOLA where you finally drop off a car and spend some time exploring NOLA.

Generally it's between 40-60 degrees fahrenheit. It'll be nice and balmy during the day and can drop down into the 30s at night sometimes. Memphis and New Orleans rarely freeze or get snow/ice.

• 6 months later...

Events last year precluded us from taking a steamboat cruise in 2016 (we ended up doing a tour of US National Parks followed up by an Alaska cruise).

So, it's a new year and we are looking again at a Mississippi cruise about April/May. I imagine spring would be a great time to do this? Would or could hurricanes be a problem?

• 3 weeks later...

I live 2 hours from Memphis and I've considered that cruise and I go to NOLA at least once a year. The highways are all outside the levees. You can drive NOLA to Memphis and very rarely catch sight of the river.

You might encounter freezing temps up around Memphis but usually we consider 8C to be nasty cold weather that time of year for daytime temps, though that's the average night time low. 20C is pretty normal daytime temps unusually warm would be around 29C. I think if you come prepared for day time temps to be between 16C and 24C you will be pretty safe.

Should be good foliage color most of the trip though always chance that by Memphis the leaves will have fallen off.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
We like it like that. We're used to it.
I live right outside of Memphis,and as we say around here, "It's not the heat - it's the humidity". June in Memphis can leave you sweating, but more often than not we are so humid the sweat does not evaporate quickly (or at all). That also works into the heat index factor - during the summer here it can often feel 5-10 degrees hotter than it actually is. Not sure if you're from a similar environment or if you are more accustomed to a "dry heat", so just wanted to give you a heads-up.

Finally bit the bullet today and booked New Orleans/Memphis on American Queen for Jun 11 this year. Just waiting for the TA to confirm flights etc.

Spotted that thing docked in New Orleans Dec 5th when I was stalking cruise ships.

5c6755c69cd03a717ba51510f7b9618d.jpg

19d9a3dad7433d96e8341737bf71d4e0.jpg

5a55921759a432542d318320768e27d3.jpg

7be9d12e1e1fa2b5a18cdbc5e4d4ff86.jpg

4e2147abb0e25425ed9ebbc61d4a0d35.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

G'day. We're from Down Under and are considering a 9 day Mississippi R. cruise with the American Steamboat Company.

We would like to know what sort of weather to expect about November.

Also anything else we should know about this type of cruise? We have only ever done ocean cruising.

Is it possible to edit a typo in the heading? Orleans.

Keep in mind the OP is asking about weather in NOVEMBER.

I live right outside of Memphis,and as we say around here, "It's not the heat - it's the humidity". June in Memphis can leave you sweating, but more often than not we are so humid the sweat does not evaporate quickly (or at all). That also works into the heat index factor - during the summer here it can often feel 5-10 degrees hotter than it actually is. Not sure if you're from a similar environment or if you are more accustomed to a "dry heat", so just wanted to give you a heads-up.

Thank you for that. I am aware of the humidity in your area. I have spent time in the humid tropics, including Singapore and Borneo where it is also humid and more recently Bali (Indonesia) and Broome and Darwin (Australia). It does get humid in summer where we live but not to the same degree. Humidity is OK with us.

A question from the wife. How cool is the aircon on the Americam Queen. We've done many ocean cruises and found the AC is always to cool for us. We always end up having our cabin AC on its warmest setting. Mrs L wants to know if she will need to have clothing for dinner to compensate if it's too cool.

I live on the River Road on the banks of the Mississippi River a short way out of New Orleans. I have never been on a riverboat that travels to Memphis, just local ones that cruise the New Orleans area. The one thing that would bother me most about a river cruise is that the levee is 30 feet high and no one on decks lower than that will be able to see any scenery other than that which is in the banks of the river.

This is quite different than an oceangoing cruise ship which is many times higher than the tallest building in the ports we stop at giving excellent views of the countryside.

Definitely hot and humid. Afternoon "pop-up" thunderstorms are common. There are a lot of levees on the river so it certainly won't be as scenic as, say, those river cruises in Europe.

I do hope you're doing more than this for your vacation in the U.S. New Orleans is a great city to visit, and I suppose Memphis can have it's charms... but there's not much in between.