When should we expect to be provided with a finger bow?

p010ne

We are always pleased when the wait staff provide us the extra courtesy of a finger bowl (a bit of lemon in the water?)! Do you also appreciate when provided that little extra touch in the dining room? I suppose one could use a small bowl in the buffet and fill it with some luke/tepid water too?:eek:

Really? What a shame! We have always felt exceptional when we receive such! :ship:

Yeah, nothing makes my day like a finger bowl. But it has to have the right amount of lemon or the whole thing is ruined.

Wow, talk about a revived memory. I do recall that in our first two or three cruises, finger bowls were offered in the dining rooms. I have to say, however, that I can't recall seeing one in the last 25 years.

Yeah, nothing makes my day like a finger bowl. But it has to have the right amount of lemon or the whole thing is ruined.

Odd how finger bowls are offered when you really need them least. I've yet to have one at a BBQ joint.

Also, lemon? Too harsh. I'm a refined gentleman and prefer a geranium leaf.

:rolleyes: Geranium leaf must be a bit continental? But then we were on Cunard (QMII but no finger bowls) and were tricked with their vinegary mint sauce with lamb (we prefer plain old mint jelly)!:mad: But then we loved the red bush tea readily available on Cunard!:')

Haven't seen finger bowls on any ship (or even in an upscale restaurant) since about 1985. Nor have I missed them! If I'm eating something messy enough to need extra napkins I ask for them. Since one person reports that they aren't even provided on the QMII, then the answer to your question is probably "Never".

We had them on the Grand Princess last month. The waiter brought them after the cracked crab.

;)That must be when we had them, and we are looking forward to our upcoming 57th anniversary (during the eclipse) on the Grand! Thanks for sharing!:cool:

;)That must be when we had them, and we are looking forward to our upcoming 57th anniversary (during the eclipse) on the Grand! Thanks for sharing!:cool:

Hopefully they will serve the crab. We were on the 10-day Alaska cruise, roundtrip out of San Francisco.

Congratulations on your anniversary.

Something just dawned on me.

I was trying to think of the last time I saw "lemon soup" even in a land-based restaurant, and I came up with a complete blank. Then I realized that that restaurants offer those packaged towelettes, these days, after serving things like shellfish.

I can't believe that it is cheaper, but the convenience probably pushes the advantage to the towelettes.

I admit, your title made me click just to find out what a finger bow is. Envisioning a ribbon tied around a finger.:confused:

I thought perhaps it was the next iteration of the Medallion. Just fits on your finger.

This was an entertaining thread... don't believe I have ever seen a finger bowl on Princess in 25 cruises... do recall hot towels many years ago, or maybe that was on an airline... don't see them anymore either, given the state of airline travel.

...do recall hot towels many years ago, or maybe that was on an airline... don't see them anymore either, given the state of airline travel.

Airline first class still has hot towels. For the price difference they better be awfully nice little hot towels... [emoji6]

:rolleyes: Geranium leaf must be a bit continental? But then we were on Cunard (QMII but no finger bowls) and were tricked with their vinegary mint sauce with lamb (we prefer plain old mint jelly)!:mad: But then we loved the red bush tea readily available on Cunard!:')

Mint sauce is the proper condiment for lamb, the vinegar cuts through the fattyness of the lamb.

Mint jelly is an abomination! :eek:;)