Port Hole Rooms

agmakar

Okay guys, I like to experience things within reason, and the Porthole rooms kinda sparked my couriosity. I like O/V rooms and I have booked a balcony already for July.

I am looking the News years cruise for Next Year I have the the Fantasy targeted with some friends. The Price for a Porthole room is the same price as an interior room, but hear that I would not be happy because the window are too small, noise, yada,yada,yada..

So does anyone have anything to impart about Porthole rooms?

Okay guys, I like to experience things within reason, and the Porthole rooms kinda sparked my couriosity. I like O/V rooms and I have booked a balcony already for July.

I am looking the News years cruise for Next Year I have the the Fantasy targeted with some friends. The Price for a Porthole room is the same price as an interior room, but hear that I would not be happy because the window are too small, noise, yada,yada,yada..

Only comment I would have is.... Daylight!

Only comment I would have is.... Daylight!

So I take it that there's not enough light that comes in, I guess because those Portholes are too small, even with two of them? I'm wondering, how big are they? I have not seen any pictures on them either.:rolleyes:

We were on the Fantasy in October and had a PT room. (R17) I would definitely book this again. For the price it can't be beat. The room was also larger than standard interior/ov rms. Plenty of light! The window area is larger than appears. I've included pictures. There are more pics of the ship in the link in my signature.

DSC_0056.jpg.604484d842e175478933faaeb5becae2.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg.dbb8fc9e92ba23cd2bf2c5e34e1f1ed0.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg.326494b918b90af369aade0e5b7b9dbb.jpg

I have had porthole window cabins on 3 cruises. They let in plenty of light and the only noise that I have heard in them was only during docking exercises. Makes a good wake up call, means it is time to go ashore shortly. Each cabin has been a different configuration. They do seem larger than standard inside cabins.

I had a PT (U16) on Sensation in Sept. 09 and fell in love with it! As 29Forever's pictures show it is a big area around the windows. We liked it because it kept the counter tops and tables cleared of clutter..we sat our toiletry bags, purses, reading materials and such in there. I had just as much light as I did in my OV room. The only time we heard noise was the morning we left Nassau when they were lifting anchor. I also agree it feels bigger than a standard inside.

I say if the PT is same price as inside I would go for the PT!

We were on the Fantasy in October and had a PT room. (R17) I would definitely book this again. For the price it can't be beat. The room was also larger than standard interior/ov rms. Plenty of light! The window area is larger than appears. I've included pictures. There are more pics of the ship in the link in my signature.

We jujst cruised on the Inspiration in R29, a porthole. The room was nice & bright. It was very quiet since it was so forward on the ship. We did hear very loud "BOOMS" on the last night but that is because Hurricane Ida was on our heels and it was very rough. We'd do it again!

The porthole cabins on Fantasy class do vary a bit with the slant of the bow ship, but all are at least as big as an inside. Don't confuse this for the porthole cabins on the other classes, those are primarily 1A's and are substantively larger than the insides. As for light, my 5A on Paradise ranged from blinding light when the sun hit the right way to be bit like a basement room when it didn't, but the light was good and the big shelf/window seat was nice to have! Not much of a view, the portholes are basically in long tubes so you can see straight, just not side to side. If you don't mind the extra movement at the front of the ship they are defintely a good deal, especially if they are the same price as an inside.

Thanks to the OP for the question. DW asked me if I'd agree to book one of these. I'm more than a bit claustrophobic, and the ability to see daylight makes all the difference. I had already told her that I'd give it a shot, as the price sure is right. Y'all are making me that much more comfortable with the decision. :cool:

I'm debating booking a porthole on the Liberty. It's all the way forward. I'm kind of leery because I've been in a porthole on the Holiday and there was quite a bit of movement and noise from the waves. I know, totally two different sized ships. So what do you guys think?

Here's pictures from Sensation R7.

000_0008.jpg

There is was only 4" to 6" inches between the bed and the outer wall. Had to crawl into bed due to the table at the foot of the bed.

000_0009.jpg

The windows were cloudy. We couldn't tell if it was from age or sea salt.

I love porthole rooms, especially since they are now priced as interiors. I prefer an interior room for its darkness when I'm sleeping, but the wife likes a view. The porthole rooms are a pleasant compromise. The hatches can be closed an tightened at night, and they keep out ALL light for sleeping in late. Then they give a fairly good view during the day.

There are pics of our porthole rooms in my 2008 B2B Inspiration review and in my Liberty review, both are linked in my sig.

I love porthole rooms, especially since they are now priced as interiors. I prefer an interior room for its darkness when I'm sleeping, but the wife likes a view. The porthole rooms are a pleasant compromise. The hatches can be closed an tightened at night, and they keep out ALL light for sleeping in late. Then they give a fairly good view during the day.

There are pics of our porthole rooms in my 2008 B2B Inspiration review and in my Liberty review, both are linked in my sig.

Wow,

Now I see what is meant about the portholes being in a sort of tube.

Are they like that in all PT rooms?

Great pics!

I still think I would like it.

Wow, that is pretty cool looking. Looks like that the windows open up as well. Those very nice pictures and with those models;) sitting there it really depicts the size of the window proportion.

Had E4 on the Ecstasy. Would definitely book a porthole again, we loved the "window seat". My cabinmate, who was on her first cruise, would sit there and stare out the window - we could see plenty, but the fact the ship was fresh out of dry dock was probably why the windows were so clear.

For our upcoming Whale Tail Group Cruise in July my roomie and I are booked on Fascination in room M21. Another group member had one of these rooms back in Oct and she LOVED it. Im clausterphobic like some of your spouces,but for the price, we couldnt pass it up! Im very much looking forward to it!!!

Our 1st Cruise was on the Fantasy in October. Loved the room. Noise if you are a light sleeper it will wake you up when you dock. We booked E3 and I will try to attach a couple of pic. I think the room was bigger, We sat things in ours.

32791636_vacation09277.jpg.187b8b20efa5abd758a5619f99957499.jpg

We booked a Cruise on the Dream for April 2, 2011.:D

We wanted an OV, but our PVP talked us into a Porthole Cabin.

She said we will be saving $300.00.

I said O.K. If we don't like it, we won't book one again.

As long as there is light!:p

Our daughter and a friend will be across from us in an inside.

From what I read, the Porthole cabins are as large as an Inside???

Everybody seems to think they're larger. I hope it's not too small.:cool:

I'm debating booking a porthole on the Liberty. It's all the way forward. I'm kind of leery because I've been in a porthole on the Holiday and there was quite a bit of movement and noise from the waves. I know, totally two different sized ships. So what do you guys think?

If the seas are quiet you won't feel much...but if it is a summer cruise where it could get stormy, you might be surprised how much up and down wave slapping can happen in ANY size ship. I've been in forward balcony cabins a couple times. Once in VERY rough seas for several days....when you walk down the hallways and get tossed into the walls! LOL! That was my first cruise in fact!

If you don't like the motion, I would book a center ship, lower level cabin for the smoothest ride.

On the porthole cabins, though...I have also looked at them and think they are a great deal...one day we will try one! I prefer to be towards the back so we only have to go up a level or two to get to the coffee in the Lido! LOL

Archived