Vigo, Cadiz & Malaga Excursions

We're on a Western Med. cruise in October on the QM2 and are looking for information on these 3 ports. Are they ports easily navigated independently or is the recommendation to take shore excursions? We're also unfamiliar with Cunard excursion offerings so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

We went to Vigo last year on the Noordam where we sailed from Copenhagen to Rome.

We shared a taxi with another couple from the ship and went to Santiago del Compostela for a few hours. This is a very famous city where the pilgrims come from all over the world to the wonderful Cathedral. They usually walk most of the way and you see them arriving with their special walking sticks. It is also a University town and is very picturesque with lots to see beside the Cathedral and its environs. Santiago is about 90 minutes by freeway from Vigo.

We stayed about 3 hours and the taxi driver arranged to return and pick us up at a certain time. We paid him when we arrived back at the ship. It cost each couple around 75Euros. A big difference from the ship's excursion which was $180US per person. Last year the US dollar was the same value as the Euro.

Jennie

We're on a Western Med. cruise in October on the QM2 and are looking for information on these 3 ports. Are they ports easily navigated independently or is the recommendation to take shore excursions? We're also unfamiliar with Cunard excursion offerings so any feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Cadiz you can do on your own unless you want to get away from the city.but I enjoyed Cadiz very much and they have some great shopping re leather that you will not find elswhere.You can follow the "line" through the city that will take you by all the sights.Malaga,you may want to check out the ships tour if they have one to Granada to see the Alhambra Palace as IMHO it would be the best way to go.Or, you can take the train along the coast to some of the smaller towns,and sightsee on your own.Maybe someone will have some more ideas.Enjoy your cruise.

We were just in Cadiz and Vigo in May. In Cadiz we took our ship's Seville on your Own tour and LOVED Seville. It is such a picturesque city. We climbed to the top of the belltower and took the most awesome pictures of the bullring and surrounding areas. We walked along little meandering cobblestone streets with flowers hanging and pretty little shops. You can also take horse drwan carriage rides and there is a very nice park.

In Vigo we took a tour out to Santiago De Campostela and LOVED it there too. It is a holy year this year. Like the above poster said there are thousands making pilgrimages (sp?) to the church where St. John the Apostle's remains are buried. There is also alot of shopping there.

We took ships transportation to both places as we did not have anyone else from the ship to share transportation costs with. Have a great time whatever you do.

Tammy

Thank you all for the information. I did read that the tour to Granada to see the Alhambra Palace was a 'must see' so I definitely think that will be part of the agenda. Thanks again.

Kathy,

Allhambra IS a MUST SEE! Also, it's much easier to with the ships excursion and we rarely take excursions.

Cadiz is a lovely, small city that you can easily do on your own. Someone said it had great shopping there and I agree. I bought most of my gifts for others there. On our Oceania cruise last summer, we had 2 days there. Day one, we took the train to Seville - the cost was $15. per person vs. the ship's "on your own" bus ride for about $80. pp. Oh and the A/C on the bus broke down and the temp was over 100 degree's.

Jane

• 6 months later...

I know this thread is 6 months old, but I came upon it looking for information about Cadiz.

Cberg, what is the "line"?

Can anyone answer these questions, please:

Does the ship let you off near the city?

Is Cadiz hilly?

Is there public transportation?

Susan.

Susan (Trubie): Back in Apr.2001 we were in Cadiz for the day. It was our first European cruise and we took the ship's 1/2 day tour to Arcos de la Fronterra, a beautiful whitewashed village about 1 hour ride on bus. The town is on a mountaintop with incredible vistas, a beautiful old cathedral, and just walking cobblestone streets with lots of shops. We stopped in the Parador (govt-owned hotel) with the tour group and had tapas and wine included out on the patio, which was very nice. When we got back to Cadiz, hubby went to the room and I walked around on my own and was perfectly fine. The ship docks right in town and walking distance is cathedral, sea front, lots of shops and tapas bars. I bought some excellent wine and took it back on the ship. I believe the trip to Arcos was only about $50.00 per person, which I thought was pretty good. I'm a big advocate of doing the ports on your own (like we did on our 2nd cruise), but for $50.00 you can't go wrong with that excursion. Good luck with your choice!

Mimi R.

Archived