Port Canaveral to Miami Airport

wellfan54

Hi,

Just looking for thoughts on our itinerary. Our cruise ship ( Carnival Magic ) docks on the Saturday at 8.30 am. We have to pick up our car from the Alamo depot then drive to Miami Airport for a 5.15 pm flight. Should we be concerned about tight schedule ?

Hi,

Just looking for thoughts on our itinerary. Our cruise ship ( Carnival Magic ) docks on the Saturday at 8.30 am. We have to pick up our car from the Alamo depot then drive to Miami Airport for a 5.15 pm flight. Should we be concerned about tight schedule ?

5:15 flight, you'll need to check in no later than about 4:15, but you'll want to give yourselves a cushion in case there are long lines at check in or security, so I'd plan to be entering the terminal at 3:15. You'll have to return the rental car first and I have no idea what that process involves at MIA, how close rental car return is to the terminal etc., so I'd add another hour. Now you're arriving in the general vicinity at 2:15. It's a 3.5 hour drive (assuming no traffic jams, accidents etc.), so you need to be leaving Port Canaveral by 10:45. Again, I have no idea how far the rental car place is from the port so how much time to allow for getting there, waiting in line and getting your car? Probably a minimum of 1/2 hour, which means you need to be off the ship by 10:15. If the ship docks at 8:30, it may not start disembarking until 8:30 or later. That gives you almost 2 hours to disembark. You are probably fine, but I don't like being rushed so I'd plan to self-disembark rather than waiting for your group number to be called.

• 2 weeks later...

American Airlines rerouted me once because of weather. The flight BOS to MIA to MCO. (I know your going MCO to MIA) and it was on a decent size jet as well.

They have several trips per day. I don't know if its worth the extra money to ease your peace of mind or not. (It would be for me)

American Airlines rerouted me once because of weather. The flight BOS to MIA to MCO. (I know your going MCO to MIA) and it was on a decent size jet as well.

They have several trips per day. I don't know if its worth the extra money to ease your peace of mind or not. (It would be for me)

And this bears exactly what relationship to the question about driving from Port Canaveral to Miami airport?? No one is flying from Orlando to Miami. And even if they did, ALL airlines have to occasionally reroute due to weather or mechanical issues.

Thank you in advance for clarifying this.

Hi,

The drive is around 3 and 1/2 hours without stops.

As long as you don't get into an accident or have a mechanical issue you will make it.

If you need directions other than what you can get on say a GPS or a internet search the best place to post would be the Florida Departures Board.

I would aim to check in for your flight 2 hours before. Not sure where you are flying to but like many airports Miami can be quite busy and you have to get through check in and security.

Keith

If you need directions other than what you can get on say a GPS or a internet search the best place to post would be the Florida Departures Board.

Keith

Know your alternatives - while I-95 is a straight shot you also have the option of taking the Florida Turnpike (tolls apply) beginning at Fort Pierce. A couple of weeks ago we saw messages that I-95 was closed southbound due to a bad accident. Since we were notified almost 50 miles from the accident we had time to jump on the Turnpike and then got back onto I-95 after the accident. In fact it is very easy to go from one highway to the other; in some locations they are so close to one another that they are visible (think I-95 and the Garden State in New Jersey). A GPS will definitely help.

OP - just realized you were from Scotland so I'm guessing the reference to the Garden State may not be applicable!

Edited by capriccio

And this bears exactly what relationship to the question about driving from Port Canaveral to Miami airport?? No one is flying from Orlando to Miami. And even if they did, ALL airlines have to occasionally reroute due to weather or mechanical issues.

Thank you in advance for clarifying this.

I guess I was long winded. I just wanted to let them know they could consider flying to MIA instead of driving. And that AA offers several flights per day MCO TO MIA.

I have done that trip in a car and I hate it, you better be moving to get there in 3.5 hours. I also have used the Florida Tpk as a detour.

Edited by jewlrybabe

• 1 month later...

Thanks to everyone who posted. It's been a while since we were in the US and I forgot how helpful people can be. Going on a cruise to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and just wanted to make sure it wasn't spoiled by missing the flight home.

Thanks again :)

Thanks to everyone who posted. It's been a while since we were in the US and I forgot how helpful people can be. Going on a cruise to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary and just wanted to make sure it wasn't spoiled by missing the flight home.

Thanks again :)

You're welcome and congratulations on your 40th!:)

Wellfan54,

Any reason to cruise is a good thing but a special anniversary is primo.

As noted the drive is a solid 3 1/2 hours. MCO is not as close to I-95 as MIA but the road is limited access.

The car rental return at MIA is in the middle of the airport complex with walkways going to all the terminal areas. Give yourselves about 20 - 30 minutes with luggage to get from the rental return to your check in.

You can find an airport map on line to get a better idea of your airline's check in area.

Also note that you will have an additional hike from check in to gate. Security is another issue entirely.

If I were making that drive to catch a flight I would plan on getting the car back at least 3 hour before the flight barring any additional increase in security due to "circumstances."