BCN process- clarification please

cruisinlawn

could someone please clarify…we'll be disembarking Carnival Vista on a Saturday catching a cab back to BCN from Barcelona cruise port. Is it apprx 25 minutes or so from cruise port to airport?

Once we arrive at the airport what will the process be? check-in, security, customs, etc? We'll be returning to states (we are US citizens) from BCN via ATL or JFK (or possibly AMS). At what point we'll we go thru US Customs?

Apologize for redundant questions however this will be our first European travel and want to understand clearly. TIA

Note..I've already posted this on European forum to no avail. Thanks

You will go thru US Customs at your first touch of US soil. This means claiming your bags, going thru the process, then re-checking your bags.

Yes, as discussed frequently on the Spain board, it is about 25 minutes from port to airport. Maybe 30. You will do checkin, a layer of security, and if a direct flight to the US, another passport check. You will not do any Customs at BCN.

You will clear customs when you disembark the ship at the port, as that is where you will be entering/re-entering Spain. You will not clear customs at the airport, as you are not arriving at the airport from another country, you're just arriving there from within Spain.

When you get to the airport, you will check in and check your bags, go through security to get to your gate, and you will likely have an additional passport check(s) along the way.

When entering the US, you clear immigration and customs at your first stop, so if you fly from BCN via ATL or JFK, then upon landing in either ATL/JFK you will:

1. Clear immigration

2. Collect your bags and take them through customs

3. Re-check your bags at a baggage drop that is just beyond the customs check point. They'll already be tagged to your final destination, you just drop them and go.

4. Clear security. This is necessary since you will have been in contact with your checked luggage.

5. Board your connecting flight. Upon arrival at your final destination, you'll be coming off a domestic flight from Atlanta so there will be no further immigration or customs issues, you'll just get your bags from the baggage carousel and head home.

If you fly from BCN to AMS it will essentially be treated as a European "domestic" flight. You'll have a passport check at AMS and may go through security again, but you won't see your bags and you won't clear customs. You'll continue on from there as described above, going through I/C/security at your first stop in the US.

Sorry I can't help with time/distance between the port and airport in Barcelona, but hope the other info helps.

Edited by waterbug123

Appreciate the info. This sounds similar to what we did going thru Vancouver off Alaskan cruise. We'll do one of three options (Atlanta is home for us)

- Barcelona nonstop to ATL (this is preferred, however Delta has changed flight time out of BCN which will make for a very rushed and stressful morning)

- BCN-Amsterdam-ATL or

- BCN-JFK-ATL

We've traveled out of country but exclusive to this side of pond. Thanks for providing insight for our first European holiday. :)

One more point. Although there will not be "customs" when leaving BCN, you will go through outbound Schengen immigration procedures when leaving the Schengen Zone, either at BCN or JFK.

This is nothing more than processing your passports - no customs declarations or the like.

Note that there are NEW security screening procedures at AMS that centralize processing of USA bound flights. Do some research if you choose that routing option.

- Barcelona nonstop to ATL (this is preferred, however Delta has changed flight time out of BCN which will make for a very rushed and stressful morning)

You might consider staying the night in Barcelona and flying out the next day. You can do some sightseeing, and then not be so rushed getting to the airport in the morning. This would be especially beneficial if your cruise begins somewhere other than Barcelona and you don't have time to see that city on the front end.

You might consider staying the night in Barcelona and flying out the next day. You can do some sightseeing, and then not be so rushed getting to the airport in the morning. This would be especially beneficial if your cruise begins somewhere other than Barcelona and you don't have time to see that city on the front end.

Yes, we may do this. We're sailing roundtrip Barcelona. We'll have 2.5 days on the front end but may add the additional day on back end as well. We have the non-stop booked, originally departing at 11:45a on a Saturday. It has since been moved up to a 10:30a :mad:

Thanks to all for the insight, much appreciated. :)

• 2 weeks later...
We are planning to catch a 10:15 am flight out of Barcelona on feb 14 after disembarking from the ncl Epic which is scheduled to dock at 5 am. I'll let you know how it goes!

We will also have a departing flight @ 10:00am on April 24 so please let us know!!! AA changed the flight times, of course:(

• 3 weeks later...
We are planning to catch a 10:15 am flight out of Barcelona on feb 14 after disembarking from the ncl Epic which is scheduled to dock at 5 am. I'll let you know how it goes!

I see your a newbie! Why did you plan a 10:15AM Flight? That's Nuts!

I hope you have travel insurance when you miss your flight! I see your docking tomorrow! Good Luck!

Barcelona is beautiful! When you miss your flight stay a couple extra days and enjoy!

Edited by IsanTom

I'm glad to hear your positive experience, Kathy! I'm also flying in/out of Barcelona the day of (arriving 9:05 am and leaving 10:50 am). These are the flights arranged by RCCI Air2Sea program, so I feel like they wouldn't give me these flights if they wouldn't work. (Plus, they're direct flights; I would worry with having to make connecting flights.) Yet every thread I'm reading on day-of flights, lots of people are saying you're crazy to go the day of. Of course I haven't seen a single person say they actually missed their cruise, rather they were afraid they'd miss it. Anyway, this is off topic of cruisinlawn's question, but I'm really glad to hear a positive experience in BCN.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Bound4Bermuda

Agreed. What it boils down to is I think everyone has their personal comfort level with travel adventure. I'm okay with balancing low risk like missing a flight with other upsides like saving time or money. We also never go on the cruise lines shore excursions preferring instead to taking the road less travelled. I do like to listen to others opinions but figuring it out for myself. Good luck. I am sure it will all work out fine!

• 2 weeks later...
Agreed. What it boils down to is I think everyone has their personal comfort level with travel adventure. I'm okay with balancing low risk like missing a flight with other upsides like saving time or money. We also never go on the cruise lines shore excursions preferring instead to taking the road less travelled. I do like to listen to others opinions but figuring it out for myself. Good luck. I am sure it will all work out fine!

Agreed as noted throughout your statement:)