Klein Drift Snorkel

Mac9624

Looking to go to Klein and do the drift snorkel. I want to take the water taxi, any idea on directions to go from the port? Also how deep are you in while drift snorkeling. Some in our party prefer to stay close to shore as they are not strong swimmers. Are the waves choppy?

We usually go with Woodwind - they are fantastic and in our opinion offer the best snorkeling trip in the Caribbean.

A couple of years ago we took the water taxi over to Klein. For a day at the beach it was fabulous. But we found the snorkeling to be just okay when compared to Woodwind. And, the day we were there the water was choppy which made swimming more difficult. Also there is a lot of coral and rock surrounding the shore. So you may get in the water in a fairly easy area to navigate and drift down to a rocky area.

You will definitely need water socks.

• 2 weeks later...

I have done the drift snorkel twice and both times the water was not choppy. There is a water taxi available at Karel's Beach Bar which is a short walk from the cruise pier. The round trip cost is $20 and the boat will drop you off in the water down the beach so you won't have to walk. This is an awesome snorkel location!!

Edited by Cairnmom

Just a quick point about snorkeling there. There is an opening and you can walk between 2 rocks behind the reef. After that you'll have to swim or drift all the way to the end of the reef. I would recommend to wear vest for someone who can't swim or float for a long time.

• 1 month later...

I agree. Very rocky near the shore but not very far at all before you get past the rocks. However, you only go out a very short distance and then you start snorkelling along a very steep drop off. This may not be good for nervous snorkelers, but the fish are fabulous. It is always a bit of a current/small waves, but that's what makes it a drift snorkel.

• 3 months later...

We enjoyed Klein Bonaire. We are both in our late 60's. My wife stayed in the swim area while I ventured off to snorkel. YOU must wear protective shoes (not flip flops) for snorkeling in and out of the water due to the coral. I would not recommend snorkeling in the reef cut for anyone who not snorkeled before, a poor swimmer or out of condition. The swim area is was calm and pretty much coral free. NOTE: Klein Bonaire is a 'primitive island'....no bathrooms, only one small shade hut.

I am very sorry to say that someone off of our HAL cruise drowned at Klein Bonaire. Very upsetting to witness. I am not sure of the details but she was a fairly young woman. It was a bit rough that day. There is no life saving equipment or emergency phone on the island.

I am very sorry to say that someone off of our HAL cruise drowned at Klein Bonaire. Very upsetting to witness. I am not sure of the details but she was a fairly young woman. It was a bit rough that day. There is no life saving equipment or emergency phone on the island.

Oh...that's so awful! So sorry to hear about such a tragedy. My heart goes out to her family.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...