Has anyone flown Malaysian Airlines recently?

I am looking for a one way flight from Beijing next April after our Diamond Princess cruise. Last time we flew to Beijing with Singapore Airlines one way. This time Singapore Airlines is $600 dearer than Malaysian Airlines. I would like to hear from anyone that has flown with them recently and if they had a good experience or not. Thanks....

Friend at work flew with them in April and said they were fine. I flew with them a few years ago and found them to okay.

This site gives you reviews on airlines. http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/mas.htm

Thanks for that! I think for the $600 savings, we will probably give them a try. :D

I've only ever flown Singapore Airlines once and because I got the flights on special. I always find them to be rather pricey compared to other airlines.

Yes, they are more expensive but an excellent airline. But for $600 difference I will go Malaysian. I just couldn't stand the thought of booking a flight with China Airlines, or any of the less known asian airlines companies... heard too many horror stories.

I wouldn't never use China Air or Eastern China Airlines. I tend to mainly fly with the Middle Eastern airlines. There my first choice. If I can't travel with them I use Air New Zealand.

We flew business clas with them return to Europe from Auckland last year and they were very good.

Just a couple of weeks we flew with then to Malaysia from Auckland return but economy class alas this time. They were great on the way over but not so impressed on our return flight. It was night time and I was asleep with my seat reclined when the flight attendant moved my seat to the upright position so the passenger behind me could eat. She then asked me if I would like a meal!! I think NO!:(

We flew business clas with them return to Europe from Auckland last year and they were very good.

Just a couple of weeks we flew with then to Malaysia from Auckland return but economy class alas this time. They were great on the way over but not so impressed on our return flight. It was night time and I was asleep with my seat reclined when the flight attendant moved my seat to the upright position so the passenger behind me could eat. She then asked me if I would like a meal!! I think NO!:(

Sorry I have to say can't blame her,it was mail serving times.

I found Asian airliners services far more satisfactory than western airliners especially on an international flight.

They are all specially selected from their previous outstanding performances and not by years of services or by seniority.

I wouldn't never use China Air or Eastern China Airlines. I tend to mainly fly with the Middle Eastern airlines. There my first choice. If I can't travel with them I use Air New Zealand.

What's wrong with Eastern China Airlines? For one, it's not a real airline ;)

And, do you refer to Air China, or China Airlines? They are vastly different.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to state that you'd "never use" a certain airline, some facts would be useful, especially knowing the actual airlines name.

(Sorry, I know that comes off as mean, but it's true).

I don't think the flight attendant was out of line. You have to understand, it is REALLY tight in economy. When I flew economy LA to Tokyo on Singapore Airlines, the guy in front of me reclined his seat all the back from right after take off. The top of the seat back was literally 8" from my nose. If I put my thumb to the tip of my nose and stretched out my fingers, my pinky would touch the top of his seat back. And his flaky, scaly, crusty scalp was not more than 10" from my grossed out eyeballs! When the meal was served, the flight attendant couldn't get the meal on my fold down tray because of the position of his seat and had the gentleman put his seat up for a few minutes, until meal time was over. Didn't seem unreasonable to me.

What's wrong with Eastern China Airlines? For one, it's not a real airline ;)

And, do you refer to Air China, or China Airlines? They are vastly different.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but if you're going to state that you'd "never use" a certain airline, some facts would be useful, especially knowing the actual airlines name.

(Sorry, I know that comes off as mean, but it's true).

No need to apologise.

Your correct. I had a little bit of a brain fart yesterday and got the airlines names muddled up. It happens to the best of us.

I meant Air China and China Eastern Airlines.

No need to apologise.

Your correct. I had a little bit of a brain fart yesterday and got the airlines names muddled up. It happens to the best of us.

I meant Air China and China Eastern Airlines.

Air China isn't all that bad, in my opinion. I have only flown them domestic, but they were fine. My coworker flew them CDG-PEK and PEK-YVR in May and, while she said it was basic, it was on-time and got the job done.

I don't really have any knowledge of true experiences with China Eastern - never been on them, and neither has anyone I know very well.

It was night time and I was asleep with my seat reclined when the flight attendant moved my seat to the upright position so the passenger behind me could eat. She then asked me if I would like a meal!! I think NO!:(

Quite right too..!! Good manners should tell people to have their seats upright when meals/snacks are being served as a courtesy to the passenger behind you, whether you're asleep or not.

Malaysian are fine and they have a far better seat pitch (34 ins) in Economy than Singapore Airlines.

Completely depends on the aircraft. Malaysia's A330-300 has 34", but A330-200 only has 32". 777-200 and 747-400 have 34". All have 17" width.

Singapore A330-300 has 33" pitch, but 19" width. Their 777-200 has 34" pitch and 17.5" width (bigger than Malaysia), while the 777-300 has 32" pitch and 18-19" width.

• 2 weeks later...

Both airlines have recently been voted in the Top 10 of World's Best Airlines in the Skytrax-survey, so you cannot really go wrong with either one.

We flew Singapore Airlines and Malaysian Airlines on the same trip a few years back, and actually we personally liked Malaysian Airlines better than Singapore Airlines.

Archived