rental car tips for each port on POA

heatherandjohn

Any tips specific to each port for arranging a rental car? I did see the suggestion to use discount hawaii car rental dot com. Are there specific companies in each port that are better or offer a shuttle? Thanks in advance!

We have booked through DHCR. When you do, it is just like booking direct with each company. There is a place on DHCR's website to indicate you are a cruise ship passenger, meaning you need a shuttle. As far as I know, they all provide shuttles to and from the ports. Assume this is true for Hilo, but no personal experience as we had a tour. There will be a shuttle bus area designated in each port. the good thing about DHCR is that you pay nothing until you pick up the car, so easy to cancel for a better rate, and you don't have to worry about cancellation fees or no show fees.

I think the only real exception would be for Kailua-Kona where the quickest option seems to be to walk to the King Kam Hotel close by which offers 2 car rental companies, rather than shuttle to the airport, which is further away than the quick 5 min ride in the other ports. The cost is apparently a little higher than at the airport location, but it would be well worth it to me if it got me on the road faster.

Here's a link to DHCR's website where they show the shuttle details for each port and each car rental agency.

Click on the port that you'll need a car rental in, then check the chart for shuttle arrangements for each 'brand'. When you click on the brand, it will take you to the link for the rental agency's website (Avis, Budget, Enterprise, etc.) The location code that you'll need to use for each port is also shown in the chart.

Edited by Susan-M

In 2005 I rented with Dollar at each port except Kona and they had a shuttle waiting for cruise passengers. This upcoming visit I also booked directly with Dollar but have change 2 of the stops to go through DHCR website. My advice is to book early, then monitor and change bookings as the prices drop/rise depending on supply and demand. Some of my bookings are the cheapest at the original booking and some I've saved some money by changing. I kept the King Kam booking as the extra $20 is worth being on the road quicker and not waiting for a shuttle to return you back to port along with everyone else that takes the airport option.

I expect almost everyone is going to return their car within 30-90 minutes before "all aboard".;)

Thank you everyone. This is quite helpful. How long does it usually take to get off the ship in the morning? For example, if you arrive in port at 8 AM would I be safe reserving the car at 9:00AM?

Thanks!

Heather

We reserved our cars for nine AM each morning, no problems. :)