Lombok, mafia controlling the taxis at the port.

WeiMin

We docked at Lombok cruising on HAL Volendam. Did not book the shore excursion because we were confident that we could get around.

There were only a few important sites on Lombok and we decided to catch a taxi for that. I managed to get the phone number of a taxi company "BlueBird taxi" and called for a taxi. The taxi was booked, but the despatcher said that the taxi could not go into the port because they were barred from going it. They said to meet at a place called LPG. We exited the port after running the gauntlet of private car hires shouting their cars for hire at inflated prices $50 dollars, 40 dollars and so on. All unlicensed of course.

Got out of the port area and asked for directions to LPG, we found out that it was about 1km away. Now how would we get there without walking in the hot sun ! About 100m away from the mass of private car hires, we found a horse cart with a friendly man and his young son. Negotiated USD2 to bring us to LPG, got on, and they took us there, as we approached LPG, we could see the sight of a blue taxi.......... yes , it was ours !

Took a ride to Seringgi beach, Sheraton hotel, plonked ourselves on the deck chairs, ordered a drink and later lunch and had a lovely time there. Booked a Bluebird taxi to get back to the port.

I asked the taxi driver why they could not get into the port (we speak Indonesian), and he said that the Mafia in charge of the port charged people a hefty sum to be next to the port terminal when ship docks. Those who do not pay the Mafia are beaten up and have their cars smashed up. So fellow cruisers, if you do not see licensed taxis waiting at the port, you will know why...... It is the Indonesian Mafia !

Funnily returning from Sheraton Seringgi to the port was not trouble at all, he dropped us next to the ship.

• 5 months later...

I am a seasoned Bali traveller, have been going 2-3 times a year since 1990 by air. I always rave about Bali.

Oct /Nov 2015 we were on a cruise ship that ported at Lombok ( Lamebok in my opinion) :D and I will NEVER EVER go there again, the aggressive nature of the drivers touting for a fare was intimidating and scary. We were with 15 others that have put up with my Bali boasting for years, who could not understand how I could visit so often...It took a lot of convincing to make them understand the rest of Bali is not like that, even so, not 1 of the 15 will ever visit Bali.

I will be in Benoa on a cruise this Oct and if its the same as Lamebok, I will never take a cruise that goes to Bali again...Rant Over :D