Byob

Indy Island Hopper

In May '09 my wife and I cruised out of San Juan on Carnival. We were able to bring our own Beer, Soft Drinks and Rum on the ship from any and all ports. Is this an industry wide change? Have others been able to BYOB on other cruise lines as well? We will be on the Caribbean Princess for two weeks in February '10. I hope Princess is as laxed as Carnival was!!:D

On our Caribbean cruise on the Caribbean Princess out of New York earlier this year, we purchased some vodka in San Juan and brought it onboard with no problems. Later in the evening, we went back out to get something else and it was confiscated. :rolleyes: Now, of course, we may have drawn attention to ourselves because we also bought one of those boxes to take home our liquid booty :p

In May '09 my wife and I cruised out of San Juan on Carnival. We were able to bring our own Beer, Soft Drinks and Rum on the ship from any and all ports. Is this an industry wide change? Have others been able to BYOB on other cruise lines as well? We will be on the Caribbean Princess for two weeks in February '10. I hope Princess is as laxed as Carnival was!!:D
It probably depends on your luck quotient and the people doing the checking. You shouldn't have any problem with soft drinks but the beer and Rum could be a problem. Here's what it says in the Passage Contract that you agree to:

"Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption. You must surrender alcoholic beverages that are purchased duty free from the ship's gift shop, or at ports of call, to Carrier, which will be delivered to Your stateroom on the last day of the voyage..."

So, now you know what the Princess policy is. If you get away with bringing beer and rum onboard, you'll be lucky.

We always pack our favorite "adult beverages" in the checked luggage using Rumrunners. Wine we carry aboard and it's usually 3 or 4 bottles with no problem. Beer prices aboard the ship are reasonable enough, expecially if they have the Bucket Offer that we don't see a reason to lug any of that aboard.

• 4 weeks later...

It's not the price of the beer - it's the selection. I'm a confirmed beer snob - love the microbrews. I always thought that if you could bring a couple bottles of wine, then I should be able to bring a couple of 6-packs.

Out of curiosity, to those of you that bring more than the allotted 1-2 botles of wine, why are you bringing it - for the brand or for the cost?

It's not the price of the beer - it's the selection. I'm a confirmed beer snob - love the microbrews. I always thought that if you could bring a couple bottles of wine, then I should be able to bring a couple of 6-packs.

Out of curiosity, to those of you that bring more than the allotted 1-2 botles of wine, why are you bringing it - for the brand or for the cost?

Princess rarely enforces the rules against carrying on booze.

I have not had a problem brining liquor aboard Princess ships using the RumRunner product in checked luggage. I have also brought beer and the occasional bottle of liquor aboard in carry-on....I never bring on more than a 6 pack at a time and just a .750 litre bottle and so far no problem, for which I am grateful.:)

I have not had a problem brining liquor aboard Princess ships using the RumRunner product in checked luggage. I have also brought beer and the occasional bottle of liquor aboard in carry-on....I never bring on more than a 6 pack at a time and just a .750 litre bottle and so far no problem, for which I am grateful.:)

What's a RumRunner?

Last year I packed one of those soft sided coolers and put a 12 pack of soda and a 12 pack of beer in there. I put a luggage tag on it and it was the very first peice of luggage to get to the room.

We brought 7 bottles of wine aboard for a 10-day November cruise. Ft. Lauderdale has a Total Wines store south of the 17th Avenue Causeway with a remarkable selection. We buy there and bring wine aboard because we're not impressed with Princess's selection. They're mass-market wines made in huge quantities so the line doesn't have to change the wine list very often - and it hasn't done so in years. The prices aren't that bad considering, but we're a bit more snobby on our wine preferences. Note that the enforcement of the $15 corkage fee is widely inconsistent. We've been charged for bringing an open bottle and glasses to the dining room, while other times not being charged at all for bringing in a bottle to dinner. Frustrating, yes! The only way to avoid it is to drink in your cabin. Bringing hard liquor aboard at ports is trickier, but pint bottles in pockets get through every time. Agree that Princess could have a better beer selection - what's so difficult about offering island beers such as Piton and Red Stripe in the Caribbean? If I want a Bud (which I never do!), I can have that at home.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived