visiting Taj Mahal from Mumbai (Bombay)

woodsidegal

We did Singapore Mumbai Apr/May 2013 on Azamara. If it is any help The best tours we had were organised by Magic of Mumbai also they do Magic of Kerala excellent, and most India places had an office , We had a student took us round Mumbai with this company on Public transport not for some people but we had a wonderful day.(we are not young) Unlike some companies they got into ports easily as well . We did a 5 day trip after the ship Jaipur Agra Delhi. Have4 a great trip. We on Azamara again in 4 weeks.:)

The best time to visit most places in India is between Oct/Nov and March. April starts to get very hot up north (Delhi/Agra - even Mumbai). May is the hottest month of the year in Mumbai....and up north temps can reach 100F.

Mumbai Magic is good. I've used them in Mumbai and Udaipur just to check them out. They are more expensive than most other tour companies and I've heard that Deepa is less responsive than she used to be (sometimes happens once you establish a good reputation). I really, really like Reality Tours and Travel in Mumbai. I checked them out doing their "Market" tour.

I had occasion to mention to my dentist about my upcoming trip and he got so excited showing me pictures my appointment ran over! He also thought my two day excursion wouldn't be possible but suggested starting in Cochin to give myself an extra day. That would be four days as we have a sea day between Cochin and Mumbai.

The best time to visit most places in India is between Oct/Nov and March. April starts to get very hot up north (Delhi/Agra - even Mumbai). May is the hottest month of the year in Mumbai....and up north temps can reach 100F.

Mumbai Magic is good. I've used them in Mumbai and Udaipur just to check them out. They are more expensive than most other tour companies and I've heard that Deepa is less responsive than she used to be (sometimes happens once you establish a good reputation). I really, really like Reality Tours and Travel in Mumbai. I checked them out doing their "Market" tour.

Good Timing info. I beginning to think October/November is a better time to visit and I recall several cruiselines having itineraries during those months.

I had occasion to mention to my dentist about my upcoming trip and he got so excited showing me pictures my appointment ran over! He also thought my two day excursion wouldn't be possible but suggested starting in Cochin to give myself an extra day. That would be four days as we have a sea day between Cochin and Mumbai.

In 2005 thats what we did. We sailed on Pacific Princess form Bangkok to Capetown via India. Each year they offer different tour options depending on the ports of call.

On offer for us then was..

1.Taj in a Day

2.Overland India , 4 days ,3 nights. from Colombo to Mumbai via New Delhi, Agra and Jaipur.

Many opted for the day tour but came back very disappointed. it involved an extremely early start and then long flights on specially chartered planes to land at a specially opened military airport and then a very rushed tour before flying back.They had very little time at the Taj and spent most of the day either in the air or shuffling around airports.That cost 1 thousand dollars even then.I do not think that tour if offered any more.

After a lot of indecision we opted for the Overland tour. That too was expensive , but we worked on the theory that we would never be back that way again, so go for it. The tour turned out to be the best travel experience we have ever had. We had excellent top class Hotels each night with a choice of European or Indian buffets , all meals and drinks included .We traveled on mini buses with a driver, co driver , Indian Govt Guide, and a Princess Host.

We were taken to places and palaces we never knew existed and would never have found on our own. You really do need a guide in India as it can be a very confusing place. You will see , and smell , sights that will remain with you for ever.

If you do get the chance to do an Overland , and it does not blow the budget out of the water , it will be an incredible, once in a lifetime experience.

It was for us.:)

The preliminary shore ex for our cruise (2015) show $3699 for a single, $3199 pp double. Too rich for my blood. Maybe we can get up a private tour by then.

You could pretty much do a 2 week tour for that sort of money. India is definitely worthy of more than a rushed few days.

You could pretty much do a 2 week tour for that sort of money. India is definitely worthy of more than a rushed few days.

I agree

Except you have not got 2 weeks . We are talking about a "I may never pass this way again "scenario....are we not?

Having been to India , I am very glad I have seen it, I enjoyed and treasured all I saw , but I have no desire whatsoever to return.

Except you have not got 2 weeks . We are talking about a "I may never pass this way again "scenario....are we not?

Having been to India , I am very glad I have seen it, I enjoyed and treasured all I saw , but I have no desire whatsoever to return.

I understand what you are saying about never passing this way again. I'm sure we've all done the odd side trip here and there (just in case).

However, India is a huge country and there's so much more to it than just the Taj and for those prices being quoted "it just ain't worth it".

Sorry to hear you don't intend to return.

[size="2"

[/size]

Glad you enjoyed. You had a deluxe "tourist" experience. Top class hotels, European food, everything included, saw and did what "they" wanted you to - for A LOT of money!! :eek:

Having our plans in motion for our visit to the Taj Mahal next year.

Decided on the QE's sailing & will do the overland tour from Kuala Lumpur.

Have 5 nights for the tour, before returning to Mumbai to rejoin the ship.

The ship will offer the tour but very possible I could do it on my own for half the price.:)

Please.... "donna in India" can you give me some logistics here? Is it possible to visit Varanasi at all?

Thanks,

Doris

Hi Doris - let me know again your plan. You arrive Delhi? Want to see Agra & Varanasi and then go to Mumbai?

Yes ... that's the plan.

Arrive Delhi late at night the first day as the only non -stop flight from KL is at 6:25 PM.

Probably Varanasi will have to be left out?

BTW.... the ship's tour will be roughly around 4K p/p for 5 days/4nights.... outrageous :(

Thanks for your time

we are on ms Amsterdam in 2015 arriving Cochin on the 17th of March - thinking of flying to Delhi to see Taj/Agra/Jaipur & of course Delhi then fly out on the 22nd or 23rd and rejoin the ship in Dubai

we would miss Mumbai - the ship is over night there on the 19/20 - any thoughts to share?

we have our visa's already for a trip that didn't happen - I would love to see Benteng Chittorgarh but think its too far to get to from where we will be

thanks in advance for your thoughts/input

Patrice

we are on ms Amsterdam in 2015 arriving Cochin on the 17th of March - thinking of flying to Delhi to see Taj/Agra/Jaipur & of course Delhi then fly out on the 22nd or 23rd and rejoin the ship in Dubai

we would miss Mumbai - the ship is over night there on the 19/20 - any thoughts to share?

we have our visa's already for a trip that didn't happen - I would love to see Benteng Chittorgarh but think its too far to get to from where we will be

thanks in advance for your thoughts/input

Patrice

Are you planning on doing this on your own or with the ship's tour?

the ship wants $3600 pp from Mumbai to see the Taj - I was thinking might as well just get off in Cochin and see a little more ... so just us with maybe another couple?

I figured it was going to be on your own. Yes.... the ship's prices are outrageous. Our plan also is to a private tour with just another couple.

Unfortunately we are not doing your Amsterdam sailing, so we could share.

I just love the planning & even though previously have organized some private tours this is going the more challenging of all as there are many days /cities involved.

I already have some notes from "Donna in India" from cruise critic that was so gracious to share.

If possible will appreciate keeping in touch to share the logistics involving the tour.

Doris

PD I noticed you are from Ecuador? We are from San Juan, Puerto Rico.

I guess one more thing in common, besides travelling ... the language

I figured it was going to be on your own. Yes.... the ship's prices are outrageous. Our plan also is to a private tour with just another couple.

Unfortunately we are not doing your Amsterdam sailing, so we could share.

I just love the planning & even though previously have organized some private tours this is going the more challenging of all as there are many days /cities involved.

I already have some notes from "Donna in India" from cruise critic that was so gracious to share.

If possible will appreciate keeping in touch to share the logistics involving the tour.

Doris

PD I noticed you are from Ecuador? We are from San Juan, Puerto Rico.

I guess one more thing in common, besides travelling ... the language

we are working on leaving the ship 17.03.2015 - Cochin and reboarding in Dubai (with an overnight there on the 22nd - ship is in Dubai for two days arriving noon on the 23rd. Have found about 5 agencies and getting quotes - if you email me can share - what dates are you looking at? patrice AT sysres DOT net - was told for sure to stay at the Oberoi in Agra to see the TAJ - I think it is ok to splurge for one night on a super deluxe hotel with fabulous views ... :)

we have been in Ecuador almost two years and are 6 months into the building of our new home - my spanish is still a work i progress

Edited by ptsaint

• 7 months later...

Hi, we are thinking of taking Celebrity Century March 2015 Dubai to Singapore with Mumbai, Goa,Mangalor and Kochin. Did anyone find a reliable tour to the Taj Mahal from any of those ports that is more reasonably priced than the ships tours mentioned in this thread? I am not sure we will even book the tour if we can't figure out how to visit the Taj. All suggestions are appreciated. Even other cruises under 20 days.

Cheers! Ilene

• 2 weeks later...
Hi, we are thinking of taking Celebrity Century March 2015 Dubai to Singapore with Mumbai, Goa,Mangalor and Kochin. Did anyone find a reliable tour to the Taj Mahal from any of those ports that is more reasonably priced than the ships tours mentioned in this thread? I am not sure we will even book the tour if we can't figure out how to visit the Taj. All suggestions are appreciated. Even other cruises under 20 days.

Cheers! Ilene

The celebrity century TajMahal excursion is $1995pp for 3 days/2nights. It's a little hectic to get to the taj in the AM via train from Delhi. Then head back to Delhi in the PM via motor couch. But it is a cheaper way to see the Taj and get it checked off you bucket list.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

The Queen Elizabeth has a 4 day land tour for $3600 pp that has an overnight in Agra to view the Taj. The cruise segment is only 10 days so the cabin was cheaper than Princess and about $700 more than Celebrity Century. All were next March/April 2015.

Sent from my iPad using Forums