COSTCO Travel Insurance

newcruz54

......my husband thinks it's too expensive.

Our oininion is that travel insurance (trip only) can greatly depend on your perspective. We have not got it for 3 cruises and not neded it. When a time comes up when we do need it whe hae told ourselves to remember te savings on these cruises. To an extent, we are "self insuring" it will take more han 3 cruises to add up to savings if the 'unspeakab;e' thng happens , but we think we'll get there

Has anyone ever purchased their travel insurance through Costco? If you have, please let me know if you had to make a claim, and how they handled it. Thanks.

I have it for a trip in 10-08 but this was when costco gave free insurance. I will be glad to email the info on the policy provided by Costco. Just e-mail me at dcatallini at yahoo dot com and I will forward what I have to you.

Debbi

We often use Costco travel to book cruises. We have gotten free trip insurance when we have booked RCI or Celebrity cruises. We have not had to use the Costco provided insurance. It is booked with an independent insurance company and I would assume that Costco would not use a 'bad' company.

If you want to buy insurance check out insuremytrip - the web site will give a lot of quotes and different coverages from many of the travel insurance companies.

I didn't even know we could book cruises through Costco yet alone travel insurance. Do they offer any kind of perks other than insurance? Are they easy to deal with etc? We've been members of Costco for years and I never knew..huh? Who would have thunk...buy cruises in bulk...good idea!!:D

We booked our upcoming cruise through Costco. They always give OBC for RC and our was $325 for a balcony and my brother-in-law received $175 for an inside. They seem to be very good and the booking was expertly handled. Two issues came up during our reservation (RC coupon code wouldn't come up, cabin that was available at RC's website wasn't showing up) and both were quickly solved. The only negative was that I had to wait on the phone for about 10 minutes before getting through to an agent. The travel insurance was pretty inexpensive as well ($150 for me, my wife, and son; $80 for my brother-in-law) and if you are an Executive Member, your coverage is doubled for the same price.

The Costco travel insurance is underwritten by Berkley....the same company that is underwrites the RCCL travel insurance.

WE have purchased it but have not had to make a claim. If you are an executive member, your coverage doubles.

For details, you can go onto the Costco webstie, click onto travel and then click onto travel insurance. You can download the policy to read for comparison purposes.

Costco is not offering free insurance anymore-the agent said since November-they are now offering a generous OBC and their insurance is reasonable depending on the price of the cabin--$61 per person for Balcony. $300 OBC. I love Costco and always book with them. Prefer the OBC to the free insurance and goodies in the room we got in December.

Thank you so much for this thread...I didn't realize I could book with Costco and get OBC...(smacking head-could have had a V8)...I could be taking that commission as OBC instead of giving it to my sister...I can't thank you enough...no more giving her my commission for me doing all the work...:) :D

We booked through Costco last year for our cruise and received the free insurance.

The complimentary goodies we received also were: a bottle of wine and cheese tray. The RCI photo album along with a good deal for a balcony.

They were great when I called to let them know my rates had went down and credited me some $$.

I was very happy dealing with them.

The OBC depends on the cost of the cabin. We received $325 for our balcony, but when we applied a savings certificate from RC, it dropped to $300. On the same cruise, my Brother-In-Law received $175 for his Inside Promenade Cabin, but would have received $150 for another Inside that was slightly less in cost.

Thank you for this information. I will definitely look at Costco before I book my next cruise.

For those who did not book through Costco and who have a pre-existing condition (or a close relative with one) CSA has insurance (their luxe policy) that covers pre-existing conditions. I got conflicting info about exactly when to buy-was told to buy within 24 hours of paying the largest amount of cruise cost or airfare (later was told prior to the date of or within 24 hours of payment). Another qualifier is that the insured person must be able to travel on the day for coverage to be effective for them. (That wasn't discussed by either agent ahead of time.) But maybe Costco offers something similar for less!

Archived