Couple KeyWest Questions

intothisfire

Hello everyone!

couple stupid questions i would like an answer to:)

what time does the hogsbreath saloon, and fat tuesdays open in KW?

we are gettin in at 7:30 and we are going to rent scooters for the first couple hours to cruise around KW before it "wakes up"(btw thanks for the awesome scooter rental suggestions they were very helpful:D )

we do want to go to those to establishments though,

also where are they located? are they close to each other, or does it matter since well have scooters?

thanks again!

And if you're into bars, don't forget Schooner Wharf on the waterfront:)

Of course Captain Tony's, the "Original Sloppy Joe's":p

And The Flying Monkey, to people watch on Duval from the sidewalk tables;)

Then there's the Bull, and The Whistle, and the clothing optional one above them. And Irish Kevins, and the Green Parrot, and...............

Hmmmmmm, I guess there ARE a few bars in Key West:D

Seriously though, I do recommend Schooner Wharf for at least one liquid refreshement!

Haven't cruised to Key West, but I know some of the ships dock near the Hilton (now a Westin) which is very close to all the action on Duval.

Margaritaville is on Duval and not a bad walk. We usually stop in there sometime during our Key West visit each winter to look at t-shirts, hats etc, but there are better local places to drink and LOTS of better places to eat.

Haven't cruised to Key West, but I know some of the ships dock near the Hilton (now a Westin) which is very close to all the action on Duval.

Margaritaville is on Duval and not a bad walk. We usually stop in there sometime during our Key West visit each winter to look at t-shirts, hats etc, but there are better local places to drink and LOTS of better places to eat.

LOL, I've been keeping an eye on the KW threads in advance of our Thanksgiving week cruise, and I've seen references to docking by the Westin, and I thought there was another pier because we were just in KW in February and docked by the Hilton...so now I understand, the Westin IS the Hilton I remember, the change must have come in the past 8 months.

LOL, I've been keeping an eye on the KW threads in advance of our Thanksgiving week cruise, and I've seen references to docking by the Westin, and I thought there was another pier because we were just in KW in February and docked by the Hilton...so now I understand, the Westin IS the Hilton I remember, the change must have come in the past 8 months.

Yes, very recent. Actually, locals are calling it the "Wilton" ;) .

I love to rent scooters while in ports, BUT that being said, unless you want to go down to the Southernmost Point or Hemmingways house, you truly don't need it (and you can walk to the SP and Hemmingways as well). Everything is well within walking distance. Duval is about 2 easy blocks from the pier (your scooter rental place will probably be just as long of a walk just to get there). Most of the Bars, Restaurants, shops and Must see attractions are easily within walking distance. AND the best part, if you get thirsty....just turn into a streetside tavern for some entertainment and a cold beverage. In my opinion, IRISH Kevins, Capt. Tony's, and Hogsbreath are the best places to go. Margaritaville will be a complete letdown if you have visited them in other places. (Very small, not much in the way of a bar/entertainment area, and poor food). Unless you collect Margaritaville "stuff" I wouldn't go all the way down for it. (It's about 10 blocks from the pier). But swinging into the open air Fat Tuesday's for a daiqueri is fun. So is stopping into the "Garden of Eden". For appetizers and a wonderful "garden" atmosphere, try Kelly's just off Duvall or "Blue Heaven", a little longer walk, but worth it to see.

Mrsfuzzmo

• 1 month later...

There is so much to choose from regarding restaurants and bars it is nearly impossible to pic only a few good ones......... even the tourist trap chain restaurants ie: Hard Rock Cafe, are pretty good, all except for margarittaville........yuk, even their margaritta's stink....I have had them at their Orlando locations and Grand Cayman and they were great, but not in Key West....don't know why?? the store is alot of fun to browse in.

I prefer my simple Raw Bar that serves the ipwich clams and clams on the half shell...........always good, simple atmosphere but good service and good food up at the Marina.

There are some good restaurants off the beatin path as well, definatly request a Key West Local to help you out for those suggestions, even though I have been there a million times the streets criss cross alot and I couldn't tell you where everything is excactly! I love it there, I love the houses that are on the streets behind duval.......stray off the beaten path and enjoy the scenery!

Archived