Packing Cubes!

jules815

I thought I'd share this here. My daughter is leaving in a couple of weeks for a trip to Iceland, England and Ireland. They're doing carry-on, and she ordered packing cubes to assist in getting everything neatly into her bag. I was amazed at how much she's able to pack, and mostly because it's so neat and orderly. My bag that I use for cruising is large enough, but I hate when I open it and see all of my packing shifted around. I think packing cubes should also expedite unpacking as well. Anyway, if you don't know what they are, google it. There are several brands available. I ordered mine from Amazon.

Edited by jules815

I thought I'd share this here. My daughter is leaving in a couple of weeks for a trip to Iceland, England and Ireland. They're doing carry-on, and she ordered packing cubes to assist in getting everything neatly into her bag. I was amazed at how much she's able to pack, and mostly because it's so neat and orderly. My bag that I use for cruising is large enough, but I hate when I open it and see all of my packing shifted around. I think packing cubes should also expedite unpacking as well. Anyway, if you don't know what they are, google it. There are several brands available. I ordered mind from Amazon.

Glad that she found them.:) We have using packing cubes and folders for years when traveling. Makes packing to go and packing to come home soooooo much easier.

Cubes and Folders keep your clothes for shifting around in your luggage when it is being handled. When clothes do not shift, they do not wrinkle.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time.

we have them in three different colours, all different sizes. one for me, one for hubby and a black set for dirty cloths that we need to bring home to wash. you can put the cubes in the washer as well, never have put them in the drier though.

i love them. when i unpack i just unzip them and fold the lid under and just put the whole thing in the drawer. theres no need to take items out of them and keeps your things from touching the inside of drawers that have held who knows what. when your ready to leave, just rezip and your packing is done.

easy peasy!

Glad that she found them.:) We have using packing cubes and folders for years when traveling. Makes packing to go and packing to come home soooooo much easier.

Cubes and Folders keep your clothes for shifting around in your luggage when it is being handled. When clothes do not shift, they do not wrinkle.

I hope your daughter has a wonderful time.

Great to hear. I plan on doing a mock packing this weekend. :) And I just realized we sail in 100 days. :eek:

when i unpack i just unzip them and fold the lid under and just put the whole thing in the drawer. theres no need to take items out of them and keeps your things from touching the inside of drawers that have held who knows what. when your ready to leave, just rezip and your packing is done.

easy peasy!

This is brilliant!

we have them in three different colours, all different sizes. one for me, one for hubby and a black set for dirty cloths that we need to bring home to wash. you can put the cubes in the washer as well, never have put them in the drier though.

i love them. when i unpack i just unzip them and fold the lid under and just put the whole thing in the drawer. theres no need to take items out of them and keeps your things from touching the inside of drawers that have held who knows what. when your ready to leave, just rezip and your packing is done.

easy peasy!

That's exactly what we do. icon14.gif

i just checked out amazon and they look very interesting but there are so many, any recommendations for a particular one.

Thanks

all mine are hayes however they are all pretty much a like, you can't go wrong with any brand. i have heard that even ikea now has them.

eta- you can also try ebags.com. they have tons of colours and design patterns that you may not get at amazon.

Edited by tinkertwo

I've bought packing cubes at TJMaxx, marshals, Ross. Never spent more than $10-12 for a 3 pack. Love them

I'm going to have to check there for my next set. I want to get them for my husband as well.

We have used the packing cubes for a number of years, the one part I love, is, you roll your slacks up, then if you wish a pair pull out the one cube and grab & go instead of tearing half the suitcase apart to find the slacks at the bottom of the pile. I usually can get 6 to 6 pair of slacks including levies in one large cube, blouses go in the medium one and socks and stuff in the smaller one.I also bought the tube one for the socks last year. We have # 3 seats. I bought ours thru Amazon.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

Oh yes! We also use packing cubes. We started with one set of ebags packing cubes each - DH got black ones and I got blue ones. Each set had 3 different size ones - large, medium, and small. We used them once for a cruise, and then it became something like an addiction.:eek: I figured out that the small and medium sizes were the ones I used most, so now I have a whole bunch of them in different colors, mostly in the smaller sizes. It makes unpacking and packing back up so easy! We've also bought some of the ebags shoe bags, which also work great. I can get 2, or sometimes 3, pairs of shoes in each shoe bag. Using packing cubes in the suitcases is like putting drawers in a dresser - haha! They also make it easy to cross pack. AND when you pack up to head home, you can pre-sort your dirty clothes in your packing cubes and make doing laundry at home easier.

Yes, as another poster said, there is no need to take things out of the smaller cubes when you unpack. Just put them in drawers or on the closet shelves. I have developed an organizational system for using them too. I use them both in the big checked bag and in my carry-on. Here are some of the ways I use them:

*underwear goes in a small one

*nightwear goes in a small one

*tops, Tshirts, shirts go in a medium one

*pants/shorts go in a medium or large one

*formal night stuff in one (shoes, evening bag, a long dress that doesn't wrinkle)

*all medicines, OTC stuff like Immodium, bandaids, etc. in a small one

*Jewelry & accessories in a small one

*swimsuits, cover-ups, water shoes, sunscreen in one

*DH puts all electronic items in a small one - the chargers & cords for camera, phones, iPad, laptop, toothbrushes, etc. plus his Belkin outlet expander thingie

Our last trip was an unusual one since it had several distinct segments - 2 car travel days, 2 pre-cruise days, 4 night cruise, 3 Disney World days, 2 travel days home. So I tried something new and used my ebags for different parts of the trip. When we checked into a hotel on the road, all I needed to bring in was one ebag (night wear/underwear/clothes for the next day) and my toiletry bag. When we fly, I pack one ebag with 2 complete outfits, underwear, and some night wear and put it in my carryon, just in case….

We bought ebags packing cubes, which are a little more expensive, but I have always bought them on sale, so I've never paid the full price for them and I love all the colors.:p

And speaking of flying, I have found something new that I like very much! It's a TSA approved clear plastic (quart size) zipper bag for liquids. I like it soooo much better than a quart size baggie and find that it actually holds more because of it's shape/size. And the zipper never opens during travel! Mine is made by Flight 001 (just google for clear quart bag and you'll find it.) Check several sites, as the price varies a lot on this - from $10 to $18. I paid about $12 and think it was money well spent, though I think there may be other brands of this item now with lower prices.

Wow - this discussion is making me WANT TO PACK!:D Unfortunately we have no trips or cruises in the near future.:(

Judy

Edited by foxgoodrich

i just checked out amazon and they look very interesting but there are so many, any recommendations for a particular one.

Thanks

We use eBags. I ordered mine for myself only because DH poo-poo'd them --- until he saw how handy they were. Then he wanted a set. Then he wanted a second set. Now we each have 2 sets! We love them. We have the small set for undies, socks, etc., and the multiple size set for clothes. You will love them, too!

I just ordered a set from Rick Steves because they were on sale. Haven't even opened them yet. I ordered them thinking it would help keep things organized in my husband's backpack and make it a little firmer. Anyone ever use them in a backpack?

Edited by Rondo

I've seen these advertised and even seen YouTube videos on them when watching videos on traveling only with a carry on. I never understood the point of them. Do you find you can pack more in your suitcase with them?

Yes, you can pack more. Your items are more efficiently contained and organized within your suitcase, so they don't shift all over the place during travel. I've found that things don't wrinkle much when packed tightly in the cubes as well. You can definitely pack more in a roll-aboard carryon bag if you use them.

Judy

We use eBags. I ordered mine for myself only because DH poo-poo'd them --- until he saw how handy they were. Then he wanted a set. Then he wanted a second set. Now we each have 2 sets! We love them. We have the small set for undies, socks, etc., and the multiple size set for clothes. You will love them, too!

i have always found that people who don't use them poo-poo them, then once they try them, well, then its a different story. then there amazing. lol.

Went to bed bath beyond, they were out! Just order a set for me and Dh from Amazon. Can't wait to give them a try, I can't stand opening my suitcase only to find all my clothes slid to one end.😉

I just ordered a set from Rick Steves because they were on sale. Haven't even opened them yet. I ordered them thinking it would help keep things organized in my husband's backpack and make it a little firmer. Anyone ever use them in a backpack?

They're good in a suitcase. They're even better in a duffle or backpack for the organization.

They're good in a suitcase. They're even better in a duffle or backpack for the organization.

Great! That is the answer I was hoping for!

The folders look like something that would be useful to me, too! Might have to look into that further and order some more cubes for my luggage.