Enough time to see Waimea Canyon?

sjmbruce

POA docks at Nawiliwili at 10 am and I have plans to rent a car. First stop is a little north to see Wailua falls.

The next place we have to be is by 2pm at Makana Charters that is on the west coast between Waimea and Kekaha.

I was hoping to have enough time to drive the road in Waimea Canyon and stop at a lookout or two. I know there won't be enough time for hiking but as long as we're in the area I thought it would be interesting to see the canyon.

Thanks!

POA docks at Nawiliwili at 10 am and I have plans to rent a car. First stop is a little north to see Wailua falls.

The next place we have to be is by 2pm at Makana Charters that is on the west coast between Waimea and Kekaha.

I was hoping to have enough time to drive the road in Waimea Canyon and stop at a lookout or two. I know there won't be enough time for hiking but as long as we're in the area I thought it would be interesting to see the canyon. Thanks!

We just returned from our POA cruise. We also rented a car. The Waimea Canyon is great. If you can make it off the ship and onto the first rental car shuttle (for your company) there might be a chance to do all of this. The first (main) overlook has great views of the canyon. Others further up also have good views but the first was best.

Key will be to get off the ship as quickly as you can after you dock.

Unless you just love waterfalls, I would skip Wailua Falls. You will see lots of falls from Waimea, but from much further away. You won't have much time as it is and it would be really challenging to do both Waimea and the falls.

I agree - Wailua Falls are just not that spectacular, while Waimea Canyon is. We rented a car and did the canyon first. If you're renting a car, what is the charter for? Are they taking you up the canyon or somewhere else? If it's just for the canyon, cancel it and drive it yourself. It's not a tough drive and very easy to do on your own. Then on the way back to the ship you could stop at the old Russian fort near Waimea and the Spouting Horn near Poipu Beach. If you had time for a late lunch, check out The Beach House in Poipu - our favorite restaurant anywhere!

I agree - Wailua Falls are just not that spectacular, while Waimea Canyon is. We rented a car and did the canyon first. If you're renting a car, what is the charter for? Are they taking you up the canyon or somewhere else? If it's just for the canyon, cancel it and drive it yourself. It's not a tough drive and very easy to do on your own. Then on the way back to the ship you could stop at the old Russian fort near Waimea and the Spouting Horn near Poipu Beach. If you had time for a late lunch, check out The Beach House in Poipu - our favorite restaurant anywhere!

The Makana charters is actually a small boat tour of the Na pali Coast with snorkeling and sea cave exploration. That will be done around 6:30, so I'm assuming we'll be driving back to port in the dark and not able to stop anywhere else.

• 3 weeks later...
When you get off the ship are there tour companies and taxis there to offer you the same trip?

Hawaii is one of those places where you're better off planning things in advance. I didn't see any tour companies looking for new passengers- everyone appeared to already have their plans made.

Hawaii is one of those places where you're better off planning things in advance. I didn't see any tour companies looking for new passengers- everyone appeared to already have their plans made.

This is what I noticed as well except in Kona. We did see people offering tours when we got off the ship there. They weren't right on the pier, but as soon as you crossed the street to the shopping area, there were people on the sidewalk advertising available excursions.

This is what I noticed as well except in Kona. We did see people offering tours when we got off the ship there. They weren't right on the pier, but as soon as you crossed the street to the shopping area, there were people on the sidewalk advertising available excursions.

However this is a limited selection of "basic" tours. There is so much more, if you plan in advance.

When you get off the ship are there tour companies and taxis there to offer you the same trip?

This is a poor touring choice. The selection is extremely limited. The only reason to consider this, "walk up" option, is if you don't care if you go on a tour or not.

However this is a limited selection of "basic" tours. There is so much more, if you plan in advance.

Oh, I agree. I'm an obsessive planner, but the option does exist if that is what someone is looking for, so I just thought I would share that we did see people offering tours (we didn't take one--we already had plans).