Port of Jacksonville - What to expect

MarkAndSandy

I just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Fascination and had looked for information about parking at the port of Jacksonville. This was our first cruise from Jacksonville (out of 14 cruises) and I'm a bit of a planner. We ALWAYS drive to and park at the port. I tend to stress a little over stuff I'm not familiar with, so I thought I'd take a few minutes to document the procedures at the port of Jacksonville in hopes of making the port more "familiar" to others that are cruising from there for their first time. Is this information critical to navigating the port? Obviously not... I survived. But this might make it a little easier for others to anticipate and navigate the port stress free.

I'm posting an overhead picture that I snagged on my iPad via the Maps app. The port address is "9810 August Dr, Jacksonville, FL 32226, United States". I've annotated the picture to explain what is expected (from my personal experience) at various "checkpoints" at the port.

ImageUploadedByForums1452400363.877295.jpg.9858102569fd3111cc8904575bc608db.jpg

Once you turn into the port (we arrived at the port at about 11:30am), the first checkpoint is noted as "#1" on the map. August drive splits into 3 short lanes. You are required to show your identification and boarding passes for all passengers at this location. We had 6 people in a van and they had us open the side door so they could verify passport pictures to all people in the vehicle.

Once everyone had been verified, we were given the choice of turning RIGHT to drop off luggage at the terminal, or turning LEFT to proceed to the parking lot.

We turned RIGHT and proceeded to the terminal. At checkpoint #2, we had to stop for an officer. He had his back to us but it was obvious that he was waiting to decide which lane to direct us to (there are 2 lanes in front of the terminal, and he was standing between the lanes)... There were probably 6 cars in each lane, unloading luggage to porters. Do not run over the officer, even if he has his back to you. It would be a bad day for everyone, and would likely involve you being shot. Wait to be directed (by him) to a lane and proceed slowly, since there's passengers exiting vehicles, SMALL CHILDREN moving about, and everyone is excited to be at the port and distracted by porters, etc. I apparently stopped short, because moments later I was yelled at to "PULL FORWARD" by someone that looked like a porter (there was an unaccompanied child that was making me nervous in the adjacent lane and it looked like a darter.) I crept the vehicle forward far enough to make the "yeller" happy, just as the child was grabbed by the hand by a parent who was still directing luggage.

This is where I unloaded luggage and passengers from the vehicle. Porters tipped and passengers unloaded, I proceed away from the terminal to the parking lot. (This involved some waiting, since cars were in line ahead of me, still unloading luggage or chit-chatting between vehicle drivers and passengers. Patience may be required here. There is no passing, you are trapped in your lane until all the vehicles ahead of you move along. This explained the pause at checkpoint #2, since he is waiting for vehicles to clear the lanes and move forward, yet keep the queue moving.) Once freed from the terminal unloading lanes, you may proceed around the fenced parking lot.

Checkpoint #3 is where you pay for parking OR show you have PREPAID parking. I had prepaid since we knew we would be a late arrival at the port (we drove 6 hours to port the morning of the cruise, not something we normally do, but was unavoidable) and my father-in-law has some mobility issues (knee replacement, and is stiff after long car rides.) It is a few dollars more to prepay, but can be done thru the Port of Jacksonville here: http://www.jaxport.com/cruise/parking-and-directions ... If prepaying, print your parking pass and show it to the parking attendant. You are given a parking ticket thing (by the parking attendant) to place in your vehicle dash. They will direct you to the RESERVED ® parking spots which are next to the HANDICAPPED (H) spots. My father-in-law has a handicapped placard and I showed this to the attendant as well. She said to park in either the handicapped spots OR the reserved spots. By 12pm, ALL HANDICAPPED SPOTS WERE FULL. I parked in a reserved/prepaid spot. The RESERVED spots are ONLY for PREPAID parking.

I have indicated on the map picture a purple dashed line. This is the "hashed" crosswalk walkway area you are expected to follow. Do not deviate from this path, unless you like hearing police/port agents blowing police whistles at you (I kid you not)... I was less than 15 feet from the covered walkway and had walked past some orange traffic cones (I was walking a straight line from my vehicle to the covered walkway, which cut about 10-15 feet off my path, v/s following the marked crosswalk. This cut out the "elbow/turn" in the walkway.) I heard a police whistle and yelling from across the parking lot and I turned around (still walking at a decent pace since I wanted to catch up to my wife, kids, and in-laws, since they were waiting for me.) An officer who was probably 75 yards away was YELLING AT ME to get back in the crosswalk. I nearly tripped backwards over an orange traffic cone when I realized he was directing his comments and police whistle AT ME.

I met a couple in the covered walkway that had something similar happen to them on the other side of the parking lot, and someone else remarked on debarkation day that they "had been yelled at coming and going." Apparently they take pedestrian safety VERY SERIOUSLY there... So stay in the marked crosswalks and do NOT cut any corners, or you will likely get yelled at.

I rejoined my family in front of the "priority" entrance. My in-laws didn't have FTTF, so they had to use the GENERAL boarding entry. The queue was probably 25 minutes deep. My wife, kids, and I are all Platinum, so we used the "priority" entrance. You ARE REQUIRED to show your identification and boarding pass upon entry to the terminal. Then you go thru security to screen your bags, etc.

We had a very quick visit in the priority lounge to get our pictures made, passports scanned, Sail and Sign cards issued, and then we were sent on our way. My in-laws experience was pretty much the same, but in slower motion.

Once out of the lounge, we waited for our in-laws to catch up to us. Their queue took about 20-25 minutes for them to catch up to us, just because of the volume of people in line. We had a group embarkation photo made, and then followed the queue to the ship. In the queue (outside the terminal, but before the ship) WE HAD TO SHOW OUR ID to a homeland security agent ONE LAST TIME.

3 separate id checks before getting to the ship.

Enjoy your cruise!

Something that came as a surprise AFTER OUR CRUISE... When leaving, at checkpoint #3, we were asked to give our receipt thing back to the parking lot attendant. The car in front of me stopped and handed something to the parking attendant. If that car hadn't stopped, I would have kept driving. So I stopped and rolled the window down and said "surely you don't want this back, do you?" She replied "Do you need it?" I said "No (in a puzzled voice)." She said "We have had some issues with our parking attendants." At this point I assume to understand that they are having some issues with parking lot attendants apparently/possibly giving free parking to friends/family (that's the only thing I've been able to come up with) -- so I happily/willingly give her the parking ticket thing from the dash and she tells us to have a good day and safe travels... So don't be surprised if you are stopped again at checkpoint #3 when you leave...

And safe travels ;-)

Footnote: I have annotated an area known as the "sand lot". From my research of the port of Jacksonville prior to our cruise, others have noted that arriving at the port "early" may result in being directed to another parking lot. I suspect it may be this area but have no first-hand knowledge. The description was that anyone in this "penalty area" would be allowed entry AFTER vehicles that were arriving after 10:30am. (Traffic is merged back together with 1st priority going to new arrivals v/s cars in the "early arrivals" lot.) There is another lot (not pictured) that is outside the port gates (at the far end of August drive.) It may be that lot, but someone else will need to comment. We arrived late enough that we didn't witness it.

I hope this is helpful to someone. Happy cruising, and smooth sailing!

Mark

The porters were directly in front of the terminal. I didn't notice any porters in the parking lot. If you can manage your luggage, you can take it with you into the terminal (that's why you are allowed to turn LEFT at checkpoint #1.) I have a wheeled backpack that has our meds, electronics devices, paperwork, cash, etc. and I drag this thru the terminal. Our other luggage, I dropped with the porters and passengers at checkpoint #2.

We parked at the terminal the last three times we sailed on the Fascination and each time there were porters in the actual parking lot which met us at our car to collect our luggage. They were all very nice and efficient.

You do have to show your ID's and paperwork at least three times before entering so have them all ready before you attempt to enter the parking lot.

Edited by GTO-Girl

We parked at the terminal the last three times we sailed on the Fascination and each time there were porters in the actual parking lot which met us at our car to collect our luggage. They were all very nice and efficient.

You do have to show your ID's and paperwork at least three times before entering so have them all ready before you attempt to enter the parking lot.

Thanks for the info. We planned to go directly to the lot, and lug our bags to the terminal. Hopefully we'll catch a porter in the parking lot and only carry our carry-ons.

Thanks,

Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

The port is only about 10 miles from the port, so not sure you would want to pay to leave a rental while you are gone.

The terminal is in an industial area so there is not much else out there.

I would take a shuttle or taxi....

The port is only about 10 miles from the port, so not sure you would want to pay to leave a rental while you are gone.

The terminal is in an industial area so there is not much else out there.

I would take a shuttle or taxi....

Thanks! I looked into shuttles & it looks good. I was thinking of just a day's rental...it was cheaper than 6 of us on Carnival's transfer. lol

Hi there,

I just returned from my cruise on the Fascination on 2/4/16. I am from Texas, flew in the day before departure and flew out the following day. The hotel that we stayed at recommended a lady by the name of Michelle for transportation. It looks as though she runs a business that deals in this area, I just do not have the name.

I called the night before, she made arrangements for us to be picked up in the lobby the following morning. A lady by the name of Kristine picked us up. We paid $8.00 pp, it was well worth it.

When we returned, I used the same service. This time we asked to be taken to the airport to get a rental. It was still $8.00 pp.

If anyone is interested in using them. I have names and contact numbers for Michelle and Kristine.

Michelle 904-945-4256

Kristine 904-504-6240