Avalon - Tulips of Northern Holland

Katie Morag

My DH and myself are booked on the Tulips of Northern Holland at the end of April 2017. would love to hear from anyone else who has done this cruise and would value any tips/hints to make the cruise more enjoyable.

We leave on Avalon Waterways Luminary 4/23 sailing of the same itinerary. Haven't found much so far.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I just got back! Had a great time. My room number was 315. I would switch rooms if you're staying in that one because of the noise when we encountered rough water. It was pretty bad.

Also I would wait until you get on board to book optional excursions. If you book online and change your mind you can't switch or get your money back but you can when booking on board.

We had great weather and the tulips were in bloom!

Have a great trip. We loved it.

I would also stay a couple of days before and after in Amsterdam and Brussels. Both great cities.

Thank you for your replies. I am wondering if you can explain more about the rough

water that you encountered as we are also booked on the royal deck. We haven't

booked any optional excursions yet - did you, and if so, which ones. We were thinking of booking Muiderslot Castle excursion.

I just got back! Had a great time. My room number was 315. I would switch rooms if you're staying in that one because of the noise when we encountered rough water. It was pretty bad.

Also I would wait until you get on board to book optional excursions. If you book online and change your mind you can't switch or get your money back but you can when booking on board.

We had great weather and the tulips were in bloom!

Have a great trip. We loved it.

I would also stay a couple of days before and after in Amsterdam and Brussels. Both great cities.

Are you saying all cabins on Royal deck experienced noise or just yours? We're in 310 - right in front of 2 suite cabins (whereas you were just aft of those two cabins). I didn't realize river cruises could be rough?!????!

We did the castle excursion and we liked it a a lot. Didn't see many kids and we didn't feel like it was geared to kids.

Yes you can get rough water but not like an ocean cruise.

I have no idea if the other cabins had it as bad as we did.

I know some people did hear noise but not the grating sounds we had. I don't know if it's because it's an older boat. I would take ear plugs just in case.

We loved the town of Antwerp so you would miss it if you took the optional excursion to Brussels. The ones that I talked too weren't thrilled with the excursion to Brussels but maybe it was the guide they had. We didn't do that one because we were staying in Brussels at the end for a couple of days.

On Luminary now. Took afternoon excursion in Haarlem yesterday - saw parade floats and Carrie Ten Boom house. City was packed. Great fun! Today saw gorgeous tulip fields in morning, skipped afternoon tour to Zuiderzee museum (saw it before). Weather has been holding for us although it's between 42-55F daily with grey skies and a light mist of rain traveling to the fields today.

We are going to be on the Avalon Luminary departing May 7 (Brussels to Amsterdam) and can't wait.

Would love to know more about the ship, your experiences, food, etc. And anything else you can share.

We can't wait!!!!!

We are going to be on the Avalon Luminary departing May 7 (Brussels to Amsterdam) and can't wait.

Would love to know more about the ship, your experiences, food, etc. And anything else you can share.

We can't wait!!!!!

Excursions excellent. Guides excellent. Our itinerary was North Holland (no Belgium).

Cabins "tight" but ample storage space. Pillows too soft.

Crew excellent. Ship welcoming with forward & aft lounges. Daily entertainment by Valentin very nice. Easy on/off experience.

Weather unusually cool. 40s-50s max. Only used sun deck for sail into Rotterdam (about 8 of us).

Food ample and good. Hot & cold choices for B & L buffets. Dinners go long (eg, 7-9pm+).

2 pcs with Internet available onboard.

Tip - bring 1€ and 2€ coins for tips to local guides and bus drivers. Didn't spend a lot of money on the cruise but needed 3€ / day for excursion tips.

Don't miss - tulip field farms (if offered) & Keukenhof (if open) & canal cruise in Amsterdam.!